Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: FFN down again?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is anyone else unable to access fanfiction.net? I've been trying regularly for the past few hours, and can't get any part of it to load.
--The Twisted One"If you wish to converse with me, define your terms."
--Voltaire
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire
I'm having no problems.
--Sam
"SPOON!"
Nope, I'm not having problems either.[Image: Bansho.jpg]
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today![Image: Bansho.jpg]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Nope, nothing wrong here either.
However, there has been the odd occasion lately when accessing a chapter from an older story where FF.net goes 404 on that chapter and a few others, requiring a massaging of the URL to make it go. eg del the new url addon to bring back an older vers.
Probably just a hiccup with the distributed server arrangement.
--Rod.H
I saw no problems earlier today, about 4-1/2 hours ago. Haven't looked since getting online for lunch, though...

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....

CattyNebulart

I have some problems. But they are transient, appearing and disappearing.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
It looks like the problem is on my end; it appears to be a somewhat frequent Mac OS X/Safari problem, based on my Google search of the error message (NSURLErrorDomain:-1005).
--The Twisted One
"If you
terms."

--Voltaire
In that case, may I recommend Firefox? It's free, and I've been using it for quite a while since I got my MacBook Pro and it hasn't given me any problems.[Image: Bansho.jpg]
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today![Image: Bansho.jpg]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

CattyNebulart

And FFN is down again. not even Ping is working.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
And FFN appears to be down again (from my end, anyway): the pages won't load "because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection." The
De-FFnet-izer can't retrieve them either, so it's not the browser. And I recently got a new modem from my ISP (the old one was a brand with which they
were having issues), so it shouldn't be due to them. Anyone else having problems?
"If you
terms."

--Voltaire
It was down and up again today. At least Twice.

CattyNebulart

it's down again.

K sai

FF has been seriously intermittant over the last week.... It just seems to collapse at random intervals - at least twice a day or so.
*pops a rez*

Guess what? Yep FF.net is fubar again. I'm getting: FanFiction.Net Error Type 2 -An error has occurred while processing your request. whilst trying to access anything beyond an index page.
use m.fanfiction.net instead, it's still OK
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

The Wanderer

The main site is working fine for me right now; either it's fixed already, or it isn't universal.
It's not down, but is there a reason it has switched over to being supposedly secure "https" from regular "http"? Now whenever I go there I get warning flags about site certificates or it being partly non-secure.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

The Wanderer

Not that I'm aware of; the only reason I noticed it is because it broke my "don't auto-center every paragraph, dammit" Greasemonkey script, which assumed [url=]http://.[/url] (This is with Iceweasel 17.0.9, Debian's rebranding of the Firefox ESR.)

HTTPS may not mean much for real security in the end, but it's almost certainly better than HTTP, so I can hardly but approve of the change.
The general idea of security might be a good thing, but it seems they've done an incomplete job of it and all the warning flags are interfereing with my ability to brouse the site.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

The Wanderer

That's understandable, but it isn't happening for me (which is why I specified browser version, for comparison purposes).
Quote:The Wanderer wrote:
Not that I'm aware of; the only reason I noticed it is because it broke my "don't auto-center every paragraph, dammit" Greasemonkey script,
Oh, so it's not just me.  My NoScript must be blocking something that tells the page to use the justification everywhere else uses by default.  
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I had to turn on "netdna" in my noscript to get it to work.
It's still much better than "Tom's Hardware" when using noscript. That website is a nightmare.
I seem to also be having problems with FFN while using Firefox.  It seems to work fine on other browsers, but not so much on Firefox.  NoScript isn't much help either, as blocking FFN (which is the only way to see any content) also prevents me from accessing the filters.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this?
Again I say: http://m.fanfiction.net - I never use the main site at all. I also have ffn and netdna on my allow list, but that's mainly because I like the light-on-dark text display option, and those textbuttons aren't live without those two turned on.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
I tried that, but it turns out that the fanfic entries don't display unless I actually forbid FFN on NoStript.  That's rather strange behavior, considering that you said that you found the opposite to work well.
Pages: 1 2