Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Purple = chaos?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Feinan

I was reading a Harry Potter fanfic last night, where wild magic was colored purple, and it struck me that I've seen chaotic/wild magic colored purple in several fics. Has anybody else noticed a trend to use purple for such magic, or any other color? I'm curious as to what people might have seen. Is there something about purple that just screams 'wild/chaos' to fanfic writers?
*grin* So - thoughts/anecdotes? Am I completely off-base here?
-Feinan

CattyNebulart

green and red are other popular choices, so is white and multicolored.
but yes purple is a common color for wild magic, I blame twister.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Kokuten

huh.
The Grandparent of purple chaos.
now _that_ is a title.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
[Image: _1626014_barney150.jpg]?
...yeah, I got nothing.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
It's pretty simple:
Evil = Red. Obviously. Darth Vader's lightsaber was red. I meanm its just the way it works.
Good = Blue. Also obvious. Look at any anime fighting series. The good guy always has a blue aura. The heros in Japanese games have blue hair. That's just the way it work.
Red + Blue = Purple
Therefore something that is both evil and good (ie, chaos) is purple.
-----------------
Epsilon
Evil is lower on the electromagnetic spectrum

Kokuten

and chaos is higher on the spectrum than good...
makes sense in my cosmology. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
There's a bit in one of Andre Norton's novels, The Jargoon Pard if memory serves me, that associates certain colors with certain specializations or qualities of magic. I don't know where she got these associations, but I recall that she distinguished between Violet Magic, described as (approximate quote) "pure Power among the Spirits," and Purple Magic, which was something a bit more ominous, close to what's usually described as Black Magic. -----
Those who believed the laws of physics made things "possible" or "impossible" were mistaken. Time travel violated one of those laws. Physics took its *revenge*.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Necratoid

I'm going to have to shoot Epsilon's theory down here a bit... Darth Vader had a red saber, but he fought green sabered people and Mace Windu's was purple. High Jedi are not walking forces of chaos. Its literally against the rules. Also life sucking force lightening is blue.... so unlesss good equals life sucking now, I think your wrong there.
The colors of aura in MA is emotion based. Red is anger/agression, blackish purple is dark green/purple is depression and bad things, etc... etc.. If I remember correctly Belldandy can see people's emotions as colors on their auras.
In Naruto human chakra is blue (Its just only Naruto realy has enough to waste in fancy light displays) and at least the Kyuubi's is red. Even evil human's are technically blue.
I'm guessing 'purple' as wild magic was something in one fic that rippled from a single story to influence several people that took it as universal cannon for whatever reason. I don't know the specific work (fanfiction or published fiction), but I'm sure you could back track the origin with enough time and people that actually remember where they got/stole the ideas from... but I'm not going to bother with that personally.
As a point of logic... why would wild magic have a solid color to representing it in the first place? It wild magic. I've seen a player in AD&D with a wild mage... when a Neutral Evil charicter manages to become partially possessed by Cthulu (complete with tentecles frowing from their lower back) due to using vampiric touch, end up with lawful good lycanthropy, and then manage to have them randomly set off their lycanthropy at noon midbattle and somehow end up winning the battle for their side (the evil side) when they attempt to fireball their own troops and instead end up randomly shifting forms on a table 3 percentage tables deep each round while in an unstable cyclonic Vortex of energy... then rolling for Taresque (still in the energy Vortex that is moving with her) causing the trees your fighting to run screaming in terror.
Wild magic isn't a solid color to anyone that has seen it... its unstable by definition and that when you try to match it with a color chart it is rather difficult to do so, as the color chart seems to have broken out in a terrible case of firebreathing goat eyes.
Also, Good and Evil are on a different axis of the chart then Chaos and Order... of course Chaos is a 'higher spectrum' component then Good... Good and Evil actually require someone/something around to make judgement calls on where on the scale they made up their marks for Good/Evil actually fall... they are also subjective forces. Chaos and Order happen when no one/nothing is around to make the judgement calls. Any scale that doesn't have Order/Chaos on more primal level than Evil/Good is probably going to be created by a group that has catch phrases and one-liners for why it can get away with what it just did.
Too many pink and purple Chaos Space Marines. [Image: smile.gif] --
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:
Too many pink and purple Chaos Space Marines.
Pink and blue are the colors of Tzeentch, Chaos God of Secrets, and purple is the color of Slaanesh, Chaos God of Depravity and Hedonism. Warhammer doesn't assign any one color to Chaos as a whole; it's all colors.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
I don't know about chaos, but I've associated purple with magic in general for some time.
(This is the original explaination for Lady Confusion having purple eyes - it's indicative of her body having been heavily altered by magic. Her eyes were green before she got the bioenhancement ability, and would be green again if she were ever crazy enough to turn it off.)
I'm not sure where I got this from though, and it may just have been a personal taste issue. After all, I like purple.
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
bah, the true color of Wild/Chaos Magic is plaid! [Image: laugh.gif] __________________
666-HELL The phone number of the Beast

The Hunterminator

Nope, Octarine was the colour of magic. I think it was described as being purplish though.
"A sort of greenish-yellow purple."
--Sam
"SQUEAK."

Kokuten

Quote:
terrible case of firebreathing goat eyes
This is now a meme. Or, it will be this weekend.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Kaze no Ryuu

Octarine always SOUNDED purple to me, though. I mean, I remember it was described as something you can't actually picture, but I always think purple for magic thanks to Discworld.
(DISCLAIMER: The Internet is a medium for the exchange of ideas. Thoughts and concepts are shared there. It is possible that people who use it may begin thinking about things they never did before. If this idea disgusts, frightens, or revolts you, please refrain from using the Internet in any way, shape, or form.)
(DISCLAIMER: The Internet is a medium for the exchange of ideas. Thoughts and concepts are shared there. It is possible that people who use it may begin thinking about things they never did before. If this idea disgusts, frightens, or revolts you, please refrain from using the Internet in any way, shape, or form.)