Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Gah. Potter Plot Bunny.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All right. J. Random Muggle is hiking the Scottish moors and discovers Hogwarts. The reason s/he can see it, is that s/he is immune to magic that would affect him/her directly. Winds up with a position as Professor of Muggle Studies.
Title?
Harry Potter and the Mundane Ambassador.
Of course this is an Original Character fic... I just got sick of seeing the Mary Sue fics some of the kids are writing on the Pit of Voles...
So instead of a magical prodigy, we have an Uber-Muggle.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Uber-Muggle, huh? Lemmie see if I can't up the ante a little with some crossover action...
The world's greatest mad scientist needs access to the world's greatest repository of magical knowledge. Not being magical herself, she takes a job as Muggle Studies professor just to get inside the Hogwarts door. Once inside, she finds yet another megalomaniac threatening world domination ("Do they have an assembly line for these idiots or something?") and a reluctant savior who could use some help. And a deathray, because everything goes better with deathrays.
I give you Harry Potter and Agatha Heterodyne in: (insert MacGuffin plot widget here)
Whaddya think, sirs?---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Somebody wrote an awesome HP-Labyrinth crossover which was basically this premise.
----------------
Epsilon
Quote:
Somebody wrote an awesome HP-Labyrinth crossover which was basically this premise.
I think I've read that... Sarah walks into Gringotts and all the goblins drop whatever they're doing and go 'Oooooooh... the Queeeeenn...' and are very very nice and polite and all the wizards in view are like 'WTFF?! These are Pod Goblins!'?
Ja, -n
(Susan Sto Helit might be even funnier, come to that...)

===============================================
"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to kill you quite horribly now."
I have that in my Bookmarks somewhere actualy.Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.
Quote:
Uber-Muggle, huh? Lemmie see if I can't up the ante a little with some crossover action...
The world's greatest mad scientist needs access to the world's greatest repository of magical knowledge. Not being magical herself, she takes a job as Muggle Studies professor just to get inside the Hogwarts door. Once inside, she finds yet another megalomaniac threatening world domination ("Do they have an assembly line for these idiots or something?&quot[Image: wink.gif] and a reluctant savior who could use some help. And a deathray, because everything goes better with deathrays.
I give you Harry Potter and Agatha Heterodyne in: (insert MacGuffin plot widget here)
Whaddya think, sirs?
I like it.
Draco: "Pah, you're just a stupid muggle..."
Agatha: "Kneel, you Miserable Minion!"
Draco: (grovelling) "yesmistress"
Hermione: "Really, that's just - Ron, why are you on your knees?"
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
In any Potter/Hetrodyne cross, the wizards would have to regard the sparks as being a type of wizard.
Or else go completely insane.
On annother note, Baron Wulfenbach would have great fun with someone who wouldn't die - no matter what he did to him.
Seems to me that sparks would be considered truly epic technomancers... the kind of thing that the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts office would have been created to counteract.

Angryoptimist

I... I would love to see them try. Two great tastes that go great together!
I'd like to see what would have happened when the Spark Industrial Revolution first hit high gear and wizards realized just how incredibly powerful and dangerous Muggles could become...
--Sam
"And this! This perfect saucer!"
I like the idea of the Sparks being a technomancers...wizards who decided to embrace technology...which cause a rift from the Wizarding society.
Based on what I can read on Agatha's bloodline, wouldn't it be a hoot if she's related a pureblood family in the Potterverse.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Kokuten

"No, I've told you for the last time, the Malfoy legacy does NOT have any involvement with the Heterodyne 'family', now begone from my prescence!"
"But, Mr. Malfoy, what of the claims that the Heterodyne family was actually the root of the Malfoy line?"
*ZZZOT*Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
Of Dreamers and Journeys.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Quote:
Baron Wulfenbach would have great fun with someone who wouldn't die - no matter what he did to him.
As in:
Quote:
Baron: I will destroy parts of your brain, until you no longer are a Spark.
Othar: You can do that?!
Baron: Oh, yes. Eventually.
Othar: And ... afterwards?
Baron: Ah, that whole "quality of life" question. I'm working very hard on that. I'm getting much better.
Mmmm. Just the thought of Klaus saying that to Moldywart, with the word "Spark" replaced with "wizard," of course, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Oh, wait, that's the cat on my lap....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Sirrocco

...and here, my brain was going in a completely different direction.
Who do we know, after all, who is well-known in his own canon for having no magic except an absolute immunity to the magics of others?
Bink from Xanth.
Of course, he doesn't really have enough clue about anything to be a professor *of* anything. Perhaps it would be more entertaining to have him wander into the Ministry? Especially after the Death Eater takeover. Bink's got at least a *little* heroism in him, and it would be really entertaining to see the Dark types trying to deal with a bumbling, good-natured Muggle who simply could not be stopped.
Quote:
Baron: I will destroy parts of your brain, until you no longer are a Spark.
Othar: You can do that?!
Baron: Oh, yes. Eventually.
Othar: And ... afterwards?
Baron: Ah, that whole "quality of life" question. I'm working very hard on that. I'm getting much better.
That's one of my very favorite pages from that comic! Mind you, setting Othar upon the Death Eaters might be equally amusing, particularly if he recruits Harry as his new sidekick.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Quote:
That's one of my very favorite pages from that comic! Mind you, setting Othar upon the Death Eaters might be equally amusing, particularly if he recruits Harry as his new sidekick.
My favorite would be the one right after Agatha recruits the three Jagerkin... "Vot?"
...it's her expression that sells it. ^_^
Ja, -n

===============================================
"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to kill you quite horribly now."
I had this stupid plot bunny running through my head for like years, but it was so silly I couldn't bring myself to do it.
Basically, it was a "Muggle Gov't Strikes Back" fic. The EU Muggle Gov'ts, tired of the crap from the MoM and other European Ministries, decide it's time they force control over these underground/renegade/illegal governments and societies. They go to the Americans/Asians/etc and build up a sort of magical/muggle force to perform a lightning strike on all assets.
As part of it, a set of individuals would be working with the magical schools to bring their education up to something...less idiotic. For Hogwarts, they assign...Bond. James Bond.
[Image: happy.gif] Yes, it was silly.
I had some entertaining other bits to play with:
-the idea that natural witches/wizards were *rare* and tend to be Muggleborn, that in fact 99.99% of the wizarding population of Europe are *induced* via the use of a potion when young (Squibs formed by poor reactions).
- the Muggle Gov'ts reaction to the treatment of nonhumans and werewolves being *really* bad, and offering them the fair an equitable treatment the MoMs never granted them
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Didn't somebody do a Buffy crossover along a similar theme? Titled 'The Muggle Way'?--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:
Whaddya think, sirs?
I think that, up until that line, I thought you were talking about Washuu...
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
See, the thing is, my original idea had the "Mundane" bit as the only "special" feature to the character. No UBAR technology, no "training from hell" trope. Just John Q Muggle, as far as the setting is concerned. Heck, for coincidence sake his name could be Martin Miggs....
Hmm.
Harry Potter and the Mad Muggle?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Quote:
As part of it, a set of individuals would be working with the magical schools to bring their education up to something...less idiotic. For Hogwarts, they assign...Bond. James Bond.
No, no, no.
Wand. James Wand. (From the Secret Sorcery Service.)
I've had that pun in mind for over a year, but never felt evil enough to use it until now.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

WengFook

DHBirr wrote:
Quote:
No, no, no.
Wand. James Wand. (From the Secret Sorcery Service.)
I've had that pun in mind for over a year, but never felt evil enough to use it until now.

Is that a wand in your pocket or are you, just happy to see me Mr.Wand?_______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja magic-carpet airstrikes at night.
- A friend after playing a session of Dark Ages Vampire.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. THERE IS ONLY WAR!
-Same friend.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Sirrocco

Or... for a double-dose of the silly, have the man they send inside be an oddly displaced dimensional traveller - the wizzard, 008.
and with L-Space, the crossover handwaving would actually be pretty easy.
Pages: 1 2