Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Just a scrap of entertainment.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Sirrocco

I was reading the TV Tropes wiki the other day, and got inspired. This is pretty much all there's going to be of this one. Enjoy.
----------
I can feel it coming in the air as I walk - a wash of power building behind me - my theme music finally cueing up. The wave crests, and crashes into me. It's the opening strains of O Fortuna. Not just generic Latin music. Not even just something *inspired* by O Fortuna. The real thing. I *am* the local definition of badass. The doors to the Council Hall explode inward at my approach, and I stride through.
The council goes dead silent at my entrance. I address them
"Greetings, Councillors. Fear me. The largest and most powerful army in the history of this place has assembled beneath my banner, and stands outside your gates, and they don't even matter. If I wanted to, I could crush you all myself. I will be leaving in an hour. Understand that every single one of you still alive at the end of that hour wil be alive because I *let* you live. I'm not talking about your lands, your people, your soldiers, your assistants, or your families. I'm talking about *you*. You have no allies left to sacrifice. You have no power left to defend yourself with. You have no place left to run. I *own* you - and you will *obey*. Do I make myself clear?"
...and then a kid with an oversized sword and spiky hair leaps down from the upper balconies and lands in a dramatic crouch.
"You say you can crush us all, Darklord? Fine. I'll call you on that. Leave the council out of it. Face me, instead."
My background music swells to meet him, and I realize what's happening. I drop my head into my hands and groan. I should have seen it coming. I *really* should have seen it coming.
The kid gets annoyed at my reaction. "What? Don't you take me seriously enough to defend youself? Should I run you through right now?"
The kid is close to losing it. I look up at him, dead calm. "Kid, stop. You fighting me, right now, like this, would be bad for both of us, no matter who wins. Seriously bad. Can you hold off on the rage long enough to hear why?"
The kid is a little shaken by my utter failure to follow the script. He nods. That's good. Worst case scenario, even if he *does* decide to attack me, the further we are from the script, the more chance I have to live.
"Okay. say we get into a fight. I'm a nearly omnipotent lord of darkness. You're a heroic kid who's done enough fighting to pretty much know which end of his weapon has the hurty bits on it. At this point, it's about even odds on which one of us will win. With me so far?"
The kid nods, looking cocky.
"Now, if you win, chances are you kill me. After all, by now I'm steeped enough in dark magic that you're going to have to defeat me more than once. Each time you win, I'll be transformed into an ever more powerful and grotesque form, with my final form remaining totally combat-capable right up until I explode. Not much room for a nonlethal disable. Anyway, I die. I lose control of the horde outside the gates, and they start rampaging. New leaders of the Dark rise up from the chaos in short order. Worst case scenario, they overwhelm this last Bastion, killing every living thing within the walls, and the light goes out of the world. That's bad. We can agree that that's bad, right?"
The kid nods, looking a bit concerned.
"Okay. Best case scenario, you, with or without allies, head out the gates to take on pretty much the entire world. It has to be you, because by this point the Powers of the Light are so badly behind that the only way to make up for it is to ride the drama - and by killing me you pretty much ensure that you're the one with the drama behind him. Your life becomes a hell of misery and constant battle. Eventually, after a sereis of ever more gruesome and depressing adventures, in which your allies, if you have any, sacrifice themselves one by one so that you can continue on, you manage to destroy pretty much every focus of Dark power in the world, and return here - only to find that everyone's starved to death, because there's no way they can grow enough food in this place to feed everyone, and there's no way that anyone can kill off the hordes outside fast enough to make farming outside the walls feasible. If you are ridiculously lucky, there might still a handful of humanity left somewhere, with whom you can rebuild the race. Otherwise, you die unloved, friendless, and alone. We can agree that that's *also* bad, right?
The kid nods, looking a bit disturbed.
"Right. Now, on the other side, if I beat you and let you live, you're going to keep coming back after me, growing stronger every time until you finally, inevitably, manage to defeat me, and kill me. I personally don't like those odds. I promise you, if we fight, and I win, you will die. The problem, though, is that that makes you an *origin* *story* - and I don't know for *who*. Fortunately for me, these things take time, but that just means that I've got a few extra years before my, remember this word, *inevitable* demise. Even more fortunately for me, however, I have a way to stall it a bit. I can *KILL EVERYONE WHO HAS EVER LOVED YOU*. And then I can kill everyone who has ever loved *them*, and everyone who has ever loved *them*, and knock off anyone who manages to retroactively develop feelings for any of my victims in the meantime, until finally, some day, I slip up, and fail to kill someone, and they bring about the previously mentioned inevitable demise. That's *BAD*, right? We can agree that that's *BAD*, can't we?"
The kid nods, looking traumatized.
"Or, we can go with Option B. I have a plan on how everything can work out reasonably well for everyone. I explain my plan. If you agree, and you let me threaten the council until they agree, then we smile, and shake hands, and walk out, if not friends, at least acquaintances on good terms. Nobody has to turn into a horrible monster and explode. Nobody has to doom their friends and extended family to being hunted down and slaughtered. Nobody has to die. Personally, I'm pretty fond of option B in this case. How about you?"
Now there's a novel approach! I like.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Now imagine the bad guy with James Woods' voice.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Quote:
Now imagine the bad guy with James Woods' voice.
Him, or Bobcat Goldwaite..^^
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Kokuten

this must be continued.. a 'bad' guy with a tropes database in his head?Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Sirrocco

There is a thing that I have learned about my own creativity. Pushing a story past its natural limits simply does not work. This one is complete. It captures the moment that it is fully. It has one location, one brief span of time, and, in all honesty, one character. The kid, council, and armies outside count up to less than a fourth of a character between them. The moment doesn't even include what his plan *is* - just that he *has* one. He walked into the last stronghold of the light with more power than the world had ever before seen, just so he could bully the High Council into accepting reasonably fair terms. The details past that - of what his plan is or would entail, of who the kid is other than "brash young hero with spiky hair and a big sword", and of what comes next - they are all extraneous to the moment, to the image portrayed.
Now, if someone feels inspired by this to write their *own* story - prequel or continuation - by all means feel free. Just mention me in the credits. *My* story is done here.
Mind you, I do appreciate the complement.
On the subject of a bad guy with a tropes database, it is not clear here whether this guy is a bad guy. He didn't deny the Dark Lord label the kid stuck on him, and he is apparently ruthlesly pursuing some goal, but he also doesn't want to kill everyone and plunge the world into eternal darkness.
There isn't enough to go on for a clear picture here, but I'm left more with the impression of someone who has had it with some aspect of the world, for which the council is at least partially to blame, and he's going to fix this problem by any means necessary. Making him, at worst, a Magneto sort of villain. The kind who has something of a point and some justification, even though he goes much to far in his actions.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
Quote:
The kind who has something of a point and some justification, even though he goes much to far in his actions.
The Well Intentioned Extremist
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Quote:
The Well Intentioned Extremist
(waves arm in the air) Oh, Me, meee! Hope and pray I never truly achieve total world domination, because NO ONE will think I haven't taken something too far. The part of me that does detailed planning and analysis is also the utterly amoral and somewhat contemptuous part.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Kokuten

So I laid it out for the kid. The problem, as I saw it, that whole massive overpopulation thing, the flaws and weaknesses inherent in the Council's plan, namely, the damn thing's not gonna work, and the cold reality of the situation.
There wasn't any theme music playing for us now, just a low-key grumbling of a distant pipe organ like emotional thunder in the background. I let the kid think on it for a few minutes, taking the occasional sip of my wine, and watching him slug back on a rather good microbrew one of my 'minions' had started producing.
He looked up at me, finally, and I could see it in his eyes, the blood-shot terror and dawning misery.
"A whole lot of people are gonna die, aren't they?"
It wasn't a question. When population outstrips _possible_ food production, and the rampant pollution generated by the industrial and magical efforts to produce even more food, and distribute the lot of it, there's no real good solution. And he knew it. Had known it all along, I figure, just.. had faith.
Faith can be a powerful incentive to lie to yourself. I'd broken his faith with logic and truth, and I tried, I truly tried, but I just didn't have it in me to let him off easy.
"About 40% of the current population of the earth, kid. My best projections say that the Council's plan would lose about 75%-80%, and push us, as a species, a hell of a lot closer to extinction than I'd like."
"What about the Peacers? They say.. "
"If we followed those idiots, kid, there'd be upwards of 95% total loss, followed shortly by the other five percent.. ask me about the Rainbow Warrior sometime, but trust me, those guys are total losers"
"oh."
We sat in peace for a few minutes more, until I had finished my wine and the kid was idly sloshing the dregs of his beer around the bottom of the bottle. I leaned forward and offered a thin smile, the only kind I could manage these days.
"So, kid. You wanna see my solution?"
I tossed out the line, the cold hard lines of the Gate burning in my brain as I waited for his answer.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Kokuten

Sorry. bug bit me.
Overpopulation plus magical gate = forced exodus of every other human on the _planet_. Only possible way to accomplish it with any sort of effective speed is to use some very 'Evil' tactics, and not spend much time at all worrying about morals or any funny shit like that.
The gate, you see, is one-way. And while things that go into it can remain in magical contact, the only thing you can get from them is basic lifesigns and emotional state, which for all the test animals except the lemmings, was happiness and pleasure. The lemmings may have been a fluke, considering the badger went in shortly before them.

What's on the other side of the gate? Doesn't matter. Could be a nice comfy couch, could be Blorch, home of the Slaughterous Rat People, and they happen to be on vacation.
Hell of a framework, though I admit I strayed from the original 'Tropesmaster' bit.
I need some sleep now, since this particular clown can no longer eat me.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979