Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: I will hug them and love them and call them George.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bunnies. You know I've got 'em. Now to actually WRITE the cursed things. 'Cause, hopefully, banging my head against them will wake up my dormant IWATDP and Legendary muses.
Summaries:
Wish Plus 15 -- the tale of Lori Kahn/Khan/Konda, some random Schlub's wished-for perfect girlfriend... who shows up 15 years late.
Prototype -- Evangelion fic, where preproduction versions of Asuka and Rei emerge from the 12th Angel along with Shinji
Ukyo 1/2 -- AU continuation of Ranma 1/2, where Ukyo was kidnapped along with Akane in the last storyarc. Akane dies at Jusenkyo, and Ukyo is cursed in the "Akaneniichuan." (Apologies for the Japanese/bad Chinese construction, but it's Viz's translation so...)
Charming Huntress Tailchaser Vic -- Mahou Senshi type of story, with a lot of animal legends tied together. This one has some chapter titles bouncing in my head of the format "Noun preposition the noun." Example: "Cat in the Cradle" for dealing with Trickster!Cat. [imagine a Loli catgirl with a thing for Boots] I know that one of the early scenes has a Brother Rabbit analogue playing against Ysengrim.
This idea is more visual in my head, since I was doodling and came up with a Foxgirl in equestrienne gear...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Quote:
Wish Plus 15 -- the tale of Lori Kahn/Khan/Konda, some random Schlub's wished-for perfect girlfriend... who shows up 15 years late.
Oh yeah, I was just wondering what if anything had been happening with that idea...
(Oh, and btw, I'm reading the extant material of Teenage Dummy Plug to Peggy right now... reactions are positive.)
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Quote:
Prototype -- Evangelion fic, where preproduction versions of Asuka and Rei emerge from the 12th Angel along with Shinji
Who-wha!?
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group, LLC
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."

I saw some preproduction sketches for Evangelion in an artbook and had a translation of the accompanying text. Originally Asuka's family name was Sohryo and she was American with freckles. Shinji and Rei were a single character called Yui Ichijou. (Imagine Rei with Shinji's hair in a better-kept version of her hairstyle, and with Shinji's personality, adjusted for being a real girl.)
Misato would have been more "scary-competent..."

The insertion plug extended from Unit One and opened with a burst of compressed air. Yui hesitantly stepped out and gawked upwards at the two upright Evangelions looming over the three prone, blood-spattered ones. Like the purple one that had pulled her and Unit Two from the Angel, they were spindly and waifish compared to the Evas she knew. From its markings, the so-called "Unit 02" looked more like a Porsche than the Corvette of her best friend's mecha.
She nervously looked at the unfamiliar buildings around her. Apparently NERV had a different art team design its logos here, because the lozenge she had known since she was a little girl was replaced on several buildings with the silhouette of half of a leaf of some kind. Numerous Section Two agents were approaching the tangled pile of debris and mecha.
Another hiss, from the neck of the purple Eva this time, signalled the ejection of the other pilot. Yui jumped as a familiar voice whispered in her ear.
"Well, shoot a mile if'n that ain't the sleekest Eva I ever saw!" Asuka said. Yui turned and caught her friend's confident grin and twinkling eyes. "Shame about the paintjob though."
"I-I suppose..." Yui stammered and paused as she caught sight of the figure climbing out of the recently-ejected plug.
"I thought that only girls could pilot Evangelions?"
Asuka took a long gaze at the young man as he turned around and began fanning herself. "Why, I do declare! He is certainly easy on the eyes, isn't he? Much better than Abbot and Costello at school."
"Kensuke's not that bad!"
"Hon, before he met you, he was a geek. Now, he's a lucky geek." Asuka fought down a bit of jealousy as a buxom form launched itself at the weary teen, until she realized just who was filling the scandalously short-skirted uniform. She began to laugh. "Major Spit-and-polish? In stiletto heels?!?"
She was still laughing when the tranquilizer darts blossomed from her neck and Yui's.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll
Good Gods, but the Mock Texas is AWFUL...--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Amusingly, ever since I went through those same images a while back the idea of that setting was inevitably intertwined with ...

I have to stop waking up like this.
Also, if I ever, and I do mean _ever_, take Suzumiya up on an offer of being 'helped along', I request that someone keep shooting me until I have the good sense to, you know, _not_.
Yes, I was running an attitude.
But, one, I'd ended up here _alone_. This was the second time that sort of thing happened, and the first ended up with my playing along in what seemed like some weird Highlander knock-off, then side-questing into yet another revolution before Shizuru and Natsuki ended up finding me. Embarassing, that. Not to mention the fact that they'd found me in a rather compromising situation ... eh. The less said about that, the better.
Y'know, the sort of pattern that was forming considered, it would only be a question of time until I ended up in Ohtori. Hopefully, with at least Shizuru in tow, whereupon I'll finally be able to take some time off and play supporting cast.
Ahem.
Two, I _know_ I didn't have to put myself back together in a while, so I was blaming the fact that I was back to being 'Nagisafied', right down to the outfit, on her as well.
Damnit, I liked that turtleneck.
Not to mention the fact that these damn bangs get really irritating after a few times.
Finally, there was the teensy little issue ...
As soon as the landscape snapped into being, my Field resonance went haywire in the worst possible way this side of the Harmonium.
This, in case you've not guessed yet, was a bad thing.
Just how bad was something I only realized when I decided I was too irritated for subtlety, flared my Field into wings, and touched down again atop a nearby building.
By then, the familiarity of the landscape managed to hammer itself into my skull. That, and the fact that while the buildings didn't seem to match my recollection, everything else appeared to be eerily similar to ...
Aaaaand that particular train of thought went bye-bye as soon as I finally saw what was going on roughly on the other end of the city. Plus, I'd finally sorted out the ... cacophony, there was really no other word to describe it ... that my Field was resonating with.
Last time I'd felt that, it had been in the presence of other AT Fields, and ones of much higher yield than the one I could manage.
What I saw was both expected, and surprising at the same time.
After all, last I'd seen it, Artificial Human Evangelion Unit 01 hadn't been nearly that bulky, nor had its armor been white with orange trim.
It certainly hadn't been carrying that many weapons.
And none of what I remember the Angels, Shito, or whatever, had looked like was quite this ... organic? Insectile? Something like that. I mean, what else would you call it, with the segmented eyes, the semi-obvious bulges in the back armor that, if suspicions proved correct, held wings ...
It also bore a vaguely unsettling resemblance to what I recalled Sachiel had looked like.
For a moment, I merely stood there, probably gaping like a fish out of water at the two giants moving to do battle, before the fact that there was another, fainter AT Field signature I was sensing in the area. This one, though, wasn't just _vaguely_ familiar. Also, it was coming right at ...
The sound of someone else touching down on the rooftop behind me had me spinning to face them.
Her.
Or should that be 'him'?
I spent a moment to reaffirm my recognition of the Field signature. Something that I felt the rooftop's other occupant doing as well, though looking disgruntled about something at the same time.
"... you know, Gabe, you've got to try and see a bright side to this," I commented cheerfully, my own gloomy disposition discarded in favor of being annoying, and was met with a mild glare for my efforts. "After all, where else would we get the chance of giving Ikari an apoplexy all over again?"
It seemed like the perfect setting for Broken Reflection^2 ... or, y'know, would be if we could finish the first one.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Quote:
Good Gods, but the Mock Texas is AWFUL...
Well, in the Japanese production version, I hear that Asuka's German accent is wretched, as well. [Image: wink.gif]
Actually, I was trying to figure what would fit, and I definitely didn't want to make her a Valley Girl. Preproduction Asuka, you see, did NOT have the personal issues that canon!Asuka did.

-- James Nicoll
Anime production houses, in general, tend to horribly mangle anything that isn't Japanese.
I remember when I first watched the original Sakura Wars OVAs. I spent half a scene trying to figure out what Kohran was saying...
I tentatively concluded it was a Chinese dialect I didn't know.
Then I realised, a moment later, that it was Mandarin.
Really badly pronounced, really painful Mandarin.
You'd think that they'd at least get that right, I mean, China's so close by, for crying out loud.
Still...
That's no excuse for that accent, Foxboy!
And her turns of phrase! Arrrgh, my brain, my poor innocent brain!
That's trying too hard, man. e_e_
-- Acyl
(The bunny, and scene fragment...funny as hell, though. Funny as hell.)
-- Acyl
Err, Foxboy, that wasn't me who commented on her accent back there. It was ECSNorway.
As for my thoughts on the accent, the turn of phrase says to me "Southern Bell" rather than "Tejana".
Southern Bells had more social matters to attend to, hence all the fancy metaphors and turns of phrase they came up with. On the other side of the Mississippi, though, women learned how to use revolvers, rifles, and shotguns. In short, Texas women were less frilly.
So, yeah, she'd have a southern accent to be sure, but she ain't Scarlet O'Hare (But, my, what a funny image -THAT- would be).

CattyNebulart

Quote:
Well, in the Japanese production version, I hear that Asuka's German accent is wretched, as well. [Image: wink.gif]
Asuka's accent wasn't wretched. It was somewhere between bad and terrible, and the words made no sense, even for bad technobable.
Although I must say as a general rule Anime in general tends to have better German than English. Probably less experience with mangeling it.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Quote:
I remember when I first watched the original Sakura Wars OVAs. I spent half a scene trying to figure out what Kohran was saying...
I tentatively concluded it was a Chinese dialect I didn't know.
Then I realised, a moment later, that it was Mandarin.
Really badly pronounced, really painful Mandarin.
Oh, it gets worse.
The first time I saw the Sakura Wars OAVs was when I was studying Japanese in college. And there's this segment where Maria and Kanna are on a ferry crossing Long Island Sound, and talking in English.
Really bad, slow, heavily accented English.
I found it more fulfilling to read the kanji of the Japanese subtitles and translate that back into English to figure out what they were saying than to try to parse them through their horrible accents.--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:
I found it more fulfilling to read the kanji of the Japanese subtitles and translate that back into English to figure out what they were saying than to try to parse them through their horrible accents.
Like I said in another thread, they don't teach much about English phontics over in Japan - they focus more on the written form of the language.

I remember that scene. Fortunately, my long experience working in call centres has trained me to decipher even the most impenetrable accents (except American English as spoken around Baltimore and Washington D.C. for some reason).
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
I must admit, I had no problems parsing the English in that scene...for whatever reason.
Yeah, it was bad, but it didn't bother me that much, because neither Maria nor Kanna are supposed to be native speakers anyway.
-- Acyl