Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: My Naruto self-insert character (ie. ego-stroking/deflating)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the subject line suggests, I went and wrote myself up as a Naruto self-insert character.
Yeap. SI. I don't normally do this, so I'm not sure why. Well, okay, the stuff here sorta popped into my head a couple nights ago, while I was trying to sleep. So I scribbled it down, and then I had a really strange dream...
And then, of course, there's the wonderful stuff Griever, ClassicDrogn, Drakensis and Nathan have been doing. Certainly an influence, there.
This really isn't a story, it's just a character sketch in prose. I dunno if I'll ever do anything with this.
That said, I've already written a bit of Naruto fanfic (about the Waterfall village, entitled "Lesser Nin"), and I've got a couple story ideas revolving around the canon Leaf-nin cast in Konoha. So this might still see the light of day. Sometime. I should probably run through those ideas in a seperate thread, but anyway...

Ake Ichiwa isn't a particularly imposing figure. He stands around 5' 7", with glasses and a sleepy look. His hair's messy, and he's only clean-shaven if you have a very forgiving definition of 'clean'. Half-lidded gazes and stubble might be intimidating on some, but not Ichiwa. He doesn't look disreputable or seedy, just dishevelled.
A Leaf Chuunin, Ichiwa wears a variant on the regular village uniform. Granted, taking dress code liberties like that probably defeats the purpose of "uniform", but he doesn't care. Ichiwa's outfit is the standard green and blue, but he has a full-sleeved jacket instead of a vest. He also has more pouches at his waist and pant legs, on the principle that there's no such thing as too many pockets. In addition, Ichiwa's got an unhealthy obsession with storage scrolls, using them to carry even more.
He's developed a jutsu that activates all his storage seals at the same time, manifesting the items in a large pile in front of him. He usually does this to organise his stuff, but there's a rumour floating round the Hokage tower...that he actually killed someone this way.
And he didn't even bury the guy in weapons. No, apparently his victim suffocated on paperwork.
Ake Ichiwa isn't a frontline shinobi. Members of his family usually aren't. The Ake are recognised as a clan under village law, but they've only been ninja for two generations.
The Hidden Leaf was formed by two brothers, the men who would eventually become the First and Second Hokage. The brothers united the Fire Country's ninja. But to forge a new village, a new nation, they needed more than just soldiers. They needed civilians, too. They needed food, labour, trade links, money. That's where the Ake came in. They were a merchant family that threw their lot in with the new village.
A wise investment, as it turned out.
Today, the Ake still do trading and business. But many of their sons and daughters have taken up the ninja trade. Ichiwa's father organised the Leaf's logistics during their war with the Hidden Stone, while Ichiwa's eldest cousin is the one who builds all those nasty trap-filled training grounds.
And Ake Ichiwa is one of the Leaf's best intelligence analysts. Given the nature of shinobi relations, he also often serves as a diplomatic advisor, making him a regular fixture in official delegations to other villages. The Leaf is a government unto itself, after all. The Hokage needs a good staff.
Ichiwa is field-qualified, but combat is not his forte. He made Chuunin at age 15, passing his first and only exam. Yet only recently - in his early twenties - has he achieved the fighting skills corresponding to his rank.
Of course, he wasn't promoted for his ability to break heads. He literally talked his way past the first two Chuunin tests, before being defeated in the tournament. But he didn't lose. Not really. Somehow, Ichiwa got hold of a psychological profile on his opponent - quite a feat, since she was from a different village. Ichiwa goaded the Grass kunoichi so hard that she lost her temper. The resulting Jounin-level jutsu put Ichiwa into the hospital for weeks.
Except...the jutsu she used was a clan secret. A technique which had remained closely guarded for decades. Never taught to outsiders.
And a strangely large number of Uchiha just happened to be watching from the stands, sharingans open.
If there's one thing the Ake family is good at, it's making deals.
Like most of his kin, Ichiwa is considered a "genjutsu type". That said, he isn't great at genjutsu - he's merely adequate. But he's sub-par at taijutsu, and doesn't have the chakra for really destructive ninjutsu. Generally, he fights by using illusions to conceal traps and explosive notes. However, this tactic obviously works best when he's had time to prepare a battleground beforehand, something he can't always do. Enemies have this annoying tendency to be uncooperative.
If forced to fight head to head, Ichiwa tries to stay at a distance and bombard the enemy with ranged weaponry. He has a pair of shuriken and kunai launchers strapped to his arms - the mechanisms rapid-fire projectiles, reloading through storage seals. He needs a large volume of fire because his aim isn't great. It's terrible. Back in his Academy days, Ichiwa set a new record in his final weapons test. He had perfect throwing technique, no pause between throws, and all his kunai landed at the very same spot. Unfortunately, that spot was 13 feet to the left of the target.
He's improved since then, but there's a reason why most of his jutsu are area-effect. It's the concept of spray-and-pray.
And he does pray. Ichiwa claims to be religious, though precisely what religion he belongs to isn't clear to his fellow shinobi. Well, aside from the fact it was started by some carpenter...who apparently had really amazing jutsu...and preached something about God's enduring love for man and the need to put complete faith in him for salvation. Or something. They're not sure. In any case, it all sounds very very strange for a shinobi, since the ninja lifestyle's basically about depending on your own strength and your compatriots, not some nebulous spiritual deity thing.
Especially one that can't even be summoned.
Ichiwa does have an actual summon contract, however. He summons fish.
Koi, specifically. The contract belongs to the Hidden Waterfall, but he made some friends there during treaty talks some years back. His summons are often laughed at by other shinobi, but Ichiwa insists they're more useful than they seem...
...and besides, it's the principle of the matter. He has to summon fish. It's spiritually significant.
His friends usually ignore him when he starts to talk like that. Ichiwa can be really confusing, and he has a truly strange sense of humour. He's a nice enough person, though, if a little odd. Perhaps overly kind and honest for a shinobi, a bit too vocal...mostly harmless, anyway.
It's well known, though, that Ichiwa has a long-running feud with Morino Ibiki, the head of ANBU's Torture and Interrogation Force. They intensely dislike each other. Morino Ibiki is tight-lipped about the subject, but he's hinted in vague terms that Ichiwa might be somewhat less than trustworthy. Ichiwa, on the other hand, insists he has nothing but respect for Ibiki, and it's all just a terrible misunderstanding.
He never explains what the misunderstanding's about.
Unfortunately, as one of the Leaf's intelligence analysts, Ichiwa has to work with Ibiki on a fairly regular basis. Those days are not good for domestic tranquillity in the Hokage Tower.
As an intelligence officer, Ichiwa has special authorisation from the Hokage's office, and security clearance far higher than most Chunnin. His day job essentially consists of figuring out ways to pry into other people's business, how to forward the Leaf's agenda, how to best stab rival villages in the kidneys...and it's not all foreign, either. A fair bit of his scope overlaps into the Leaf's internal affairs. Ichiwa is a member of what he calls the "Censorship Board"...the panel that decides just what is classified information, and how much to tell the rank and file. He can be quite ruthless in this regard, a trait seemingly at odds with his professed moral code - though if questioned, Ichiwa says he doesn't see the discrepancy.
Ichiwa is one of the few people who knows the Legendary Sannin Jiraiya is actually the author of the infamous "Icha Icha" series. Tsunade let that slip during a staff meeting, while commenting on the quality of Jiraiya's intel reports. It's been occupying Ichiwa's mind ever since. He doesn't like the novels. He finds the prose too florid. But the books are international bestsellers, read by people across the world. And it'd be wonderful if he could persuade Jiraiya to slip subtle political messages into the stories. Pro-Leaf propaganda, you see...
And he'd like a set of autographed copies. It could be a good investment.

"Ake" is a fancy word for red, and "Ichiwa" is one wheel (well, ring, etc). It's an overly complex multilingual pun on my Chinese name, Zhu Yilun. Kanji, you know.
The story about Ichiwa's aim...is true. I did that with an M16 in Basic Military Training. Singapore Army. It was the simulator, you see. I was wired up, and they could measure everything. Perfect posture, perfect grip, perfect timing, perfect trigger pull, perfect precision, perfect shot grouping...nowhere near the target. 13-14 feet to the left, to be precise. In my defence, I was shooting from a few hundred feet away, and another guy did even worse...
But there's a reason I served in a support vocation, and why I always had the cleanest rifle, remarkably free of carbon, during inspection time...
And yes, I really have invented several assassination jutsu involving fish.
-- Acyl
Like it! Oddly compelling, especially the fish bits. Don't ask me why. And it's nice to see Chritianity treated with humor that doesn't cross the line into condescension.
Fish-based assassination jutsu? This I *gotta* see....
Quote:
Like it! Oddly compelling, especially the fish bits. Don't ask me why. And it's nice to see Chritianity treated with humor that doesn't cross the line into condescension.
I think the people best qualified to tell jokes about something are the ones who actually believe, however nominally, in it.
There's one I heard from a preacher...
Q. What's the first recorded case of constipation in the bible?
A. Moses took two tablets and went up the mountain. There was thunder and lightning.
Quote:
Fish-based assassination jutsu? This I *gotta* see....
The whole family of fish summons...is something I dreamt up for a fic focusing on the Waterfall village, "Lesser Nin". That one's sorta been on indefinite hiatus for a bit...I should probably sit down and finish the first 'episode' at least, since that's only a page or two away from completion.
The fish are, specifically, Japanese koi - the ornamental fish, Nishikigoi. Ichiwa has a full contract, but he tends to use hybrid techniques rather than summoning the fish in the normal fashion.
Here's some:
Kuchiyose: Koi Shuriken
Ichiwa slams his palm into the ground, producing a rippling disc of blue chakra - and four large fish leap from it. The koi twist together, linking tail-to-tail...and then henge into a giant weapon of watered steel. It works exactly like the standard Windmill Shuriken...except the Koi Shuriken has an unnerving tendency to change direction in mid-air and swim after you.
Kuchiyose: Koi Kunai
Like the previous technique, except the fish transform into individual blades. In this form, their nature is somewhat more obvious. As they fly and seek after their target, each Koi Kunai doesn't take a straight path. Instead, steel flexes. They bend and move from side to side. They circle around a little. They behave, in other words, exactly like swimming fish. Which they are. Except sharper.
Kuchiyose: Koibabaru (Koi Babel)
Summoned creatures aren't always large. Naruto could tell you that. He's probably seen enough tadpoles. But small doesn't mean useless. This is the technique Ichiwa uses the most. Ichiwa performs the seals for Kuchiyose no Jutsu...and ends by placing his palm directly on someone's body. This summons a single, exceedingly small fish...inside his target.
The summoned fish resonates with the victim's chakra system, functioning as a passive observer. It can hear everything its host can, and when dispelled, report back to Ichiwa.
The Koibabaru can be used on an unwitting victim, but Ichiwa's also been known to use the technique on other Leaf ninja. Usually with their consent. Recording devices and other means of communication can be detected. But it is very difficult to sense one of Ichiwa's fish hidden within a body's chakra coils.
Kuchiyose: Koikisei (Koi Parasite)
As before, except instead of a single tiny fish, Ichiwa summons several.
So you've got a school of little fish swimming around inside you...and draining your chakra.
Kuchiyose: Koidoku (Koi Poison)
Of course, having lots of fish in your body isn't a pleasant experience. In fact, it can be downright painful, especially if they're just a bit larger, constantly growing as they gain chakra...quickly becoming too large for your tissues and bloodstream...
Boom.

-- Acyl

Necratoid

My first thought is that he should have/be working on that water to wine jutsu. Somehow the ability to make Saki (rice wine) at will would be very popular. That and being able to turn water into a flammable substance is rather useful for info gathering (a small application and the target is far drunker than they think they are) or a puddle is rather flammable/the opponents wet clothing is now soaked and flammable. That or that mist cloud jutsu would become rather nastily area effect. Can that move even be used on non water? With alcohol it would probably evaporate faster and easier. Would go with the area effect thing to. Wouldn't even have to light it with fire... the air coated misted with booze is bad for anyone not prone to drunken bar fight... I pity anyone who is next to Lee.
Even if he doesn't have the actual jutsu... he'd get needled about it. I mean healing jutsu (granted the carpenter had really good ones, disease killing ones), walking on water, and the like are common, but free booze no jutsu? Someone is going to try for that one. Possibly failing spectacularly. Good booze is harder. Wouldnt have to last that long really for the combat effects.
He already has a version of multiplying fish... though he doesn't have the multiplying loaves one. Im oddly hung up on this one.
Hmmm. A water-to-alcohol transmutation. Sorta a permanent molecular-altering henge on a remote target...is that even possible?
I wonder if you could use that directly on a target's bloodstream. Hell, directly on a target's tissues. 70-75% of the human anatomy and all that...gets them both drunk, poisons their body...and makes them flammable...
Hmmmmmmm. Probably an obscene chakra cost to do the trick, but...
I'm sure Ichiwa's got lots of summoned scrolls tied to emergency supplies and provisions, which have to include baked goods. But otherwise, summoning bread's gonna be tricky. After all, the First Hokage was the only one who could work with plants...
...maybe if he asks Yamato really really nicely...
-- Acyl
Quote:
Somehow the ability to make Saki (rice wine) at will would be very popular.
Please forgive me, but this is one of my pet peeves. Allow me to quote from my still-under-construction writer's guide:
Quote:
"Saki" is either a Steel Angel with a lesbian attraction to pink-haired androids named Kurumi, or the pen name of early 20th-Century British humorist and author H.H. Munro. "Sake" is an alcoholic beverage made from rice.
Guess which one is sold in bottles in Japan.
Guess which one some fan writers try to have people drink
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Quote:
Guess which one some fan writers try to have people drink
Now there's an amusing - if NSFW - mental image.
-- Acyl
Ichiwa: Kuchiyose no Jutsu!
*Fish appears in a puff of smoke*
*Ichiwa holds up a photo, and points*
Ichiwa: Okay, now transform into this girl.
*Fish blinks*
Ichiwa: And get in a drinking glass.
*Fish blinks*
*Ichiwa sighs, and turns to his companion.*
Ichiwa: Jiraiya-sama, I'm afraid Saki no Jutsu isn't working...
-- Acyl

Necratoid

Okay, my bad. I think I wrote 'Saki', because the 'e' in 'Sake' is accented. I never bother to remember how to make those things... Pokemon has an accented 'e' also. Hazard of converting languages into different alphabets. Then again I saw someone's attempt at making a Japanese character keyboard once. Considering it had several thousand keys and one small screen... You would have to be a ninja to operate the thing with any reasonable speed.
Which may be why they don't have computers in Naruto's world (unless the filler decides to make an episode that goes into the digital Twilight zone). First, you have to make a typewriter... and with a 'one character, one word' language interface. Its actually easier to make a minor fire jutsu that works like a laser printer, than to make a keyboard.
Alcohol replacing the water and leaving the fat... corpses are not identifiable... add in a few chakra string, a cigarette, a match, and bit of faking the puppet as a drunk... Napalm man no jutsu. It would be far to much effort to do a complete conversion to a living target. With the other chemicals in the body it would be easier to replicate alcohol.
Great... now I'm half entertaining the idea of figuring out jutsu based around Megaman master robot names. 101 ways to dispose of a corpse in battle. So morbid.
Quote:
Which may be why they don't have computers in Naruto's world (unless the filler decides to make an episode that goes into the digital Twilight zone). First, you have to make a typewriter... and with a 'one character, one word' language interface. Its actually easier to make a minor fire jutsu that works like a laser printer, than to make a keyboard.
I disagree. If you look at things from the perspective of a computer program, every command, every 'if', 'then', and 'goto', is, essentially, a single whole - a kanji. More than that, even those commands are three levels away from the actual code, the ones and zeroes that run on the bare metal of the computer.
Japanese is a lot easier to text message over a phone than English is, because of the way the kana system is built, and because there is a very simple mechanism programmed into Japanese market cell phones to recognize kana and allow the user to select between kanji that might match them. There are upgrade modules out there that can teach WinWord this trick, if you're curious.
Now, that might be marginally more difficult to build into a computer programming environment than the equivalent English... but I doubt it, and even if I'm wrong, it couldn't be by very much.
And as for the supposition that a computer first requires a typewriter... ENIAC was an adding machine. So was Colossus.
Neither of them had jack to do with the written word. That development took everybody by surprise.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Quote:
Which may be why they don't have computers in Naruto's world (unless the filler decides to make an episode that goes into the digital Twilight zone).
Except they have shown computers in the anime. And not in the filler arcs, either. If I remember correctly, Kimimaro's chamber in Orochimaru's widdle underground hideaway had all sorts of tech-esque bits around it...including what looked like monitor banks displaying medical information. I recall Kabuto was seen hitting keys and such on a console...
(mind, I can't recall whether this was shown in the manga, but it was definitely in the anime)
-- Acyl
Quote:
Except they have shown computers in the anime. And not in the filler arcs, either. If I remember correctly, Kimimaro's chamber in Orochimaru's widdle underground hideaway had all sorts of tech-esque bits around it...including what looked like monitor banks displaying medical information. I recall Kabuto was seen hitting keys and such on a console...
More than that, the random selection of combatants in the Chuunin Tournament Preliminaries was done by a computer. So it's not something that's unusual or unique to Orochimaru, either.
Now, they may be still at the "room-sized mainframe" stage in development, which given the other technological signs we've seen so far doesn't surprise me much, and would explain why poor Tsunade-baachan has to do so much paperwork by hand...--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Necratoid

Quote:
...including what looked like monitor banks displaying medical information. I recall Kabuto was seen hitting keys and such on a console...
Sense that scene was totally illogical given the tech shown previously, seemed to require Kabuto to use machines to check on a patient (instead of what he was trained for... you know medical jutsu), and seemed tacked on to prove just how Fubar that guy was, instead of bothering to come up with jutsu based medical techno babble to explain how Fubar he was... Apparently only able to move by using his body as a chakra puppet was considered to hard for fans to understand as he is terminal and Fubar... which they did explain in the episode I think.
Anyway the modern Earth we are on tech and computers and the rest of that scene made me disavow it happened. Unless Manda got Orochimaru access to Rosenqueen (Nippon Ichi Netherworld style) or Orochimaru can dimension hop (and it wasn't important enough to tell the readers/watchers) I can't figure out why such a device would even exist in that world. I have to force myself to forget that scene again. If you can explain why the device (1990's level computer tech) could/would exist I'll grant it... otherwise that was a visual brain fart of the series and to be totally ignored.
Power lines are a major feature of Konaha's greatness. Electric lights are exotic for the series. And suddenly Kabuto is using MRIs and a central database system with diagnostic capabilities? We are talking major technologic spontaneous generation here... Kabuto would only need such a thing , if it could exist in the first place, is if he suddenly couldn't use chakra any more. He is literally a character that can do all that the machine apparently can do with jutsu. That or if that disease was contagious.
As for the random selection machine? I failed to see that as a computer... a genjutsu cast by a guy we can't see on screen. Random number generators (like dice or pulling names out of a hat) have been around for ever. For all we know its literally two gys spinning convayer belts and adjusting them straight when they stop. If they had anything like that in the stadium to display names of combatants I'd consider it more likely.
For example the Greeks made street theatre machines that used pulleys, levers and not even clockwork level tech to make an automated show that showed a legend for 15-20 minutes a run. With sound effects.
Quote:
Power lines are a major feature of Konaha's greatness. Electric lights are exotic for the series.

Umm, where did you get this from? Even Wave Country had electric lights. (Vol 3, chp 19 pg 17, last frame, Vol 2, chp 10 pg 14, frame with Naruto walking down hallway)
Quote:
And suddenly Kabuto is using MRIs and a central database system with diagnostic capabilities? We are talking major technologic spontaneous generation here... Kabuto would only need such a thing , if it could exist in the first place, is if he suddenly couldn't use chakra any more. He is literally a character that can do all that the machine apparently can do with jutsu. That or if that disease was contagious.

Uhh, No. Far better to have a machine that will duplicate your diagnostic abilities so you can save your chakra for, you know, actually healing what's wrong. A diagnostic jutsu would only be used if you are in a hurry or in the field.
Every indication i've seen in the manga (up to the point they rescue Gaara) is that the tech levels are about equal to ours with three main differences. A: Cars seem to be a lot less common/non existant. (Thou they do have motors) and B: Guns don't seem to have been developed. and C: tech distrobution seems to be a bit less even. (Which is why I can suspend disbelief over the possibility of Seal based technologies)
(My apologies if this comes off sounding... hmm jerkish, but people underestimating Naruto tech levels pushes my buttons)
Edit:
Quote:
As for the random selection machine? I failed to see that as a computer... a genjutsu cast by a guy we can't see on screen. Random number generators (like dice or pulling names out of a hat) have been around for ever. For all we know its literally two gys spinning convayer belts and adjusting them straight when they stop. If they had anything like that in the stadium to display names of combatants I'd consider it more likely.
Also it is (at least in the scanslation) explicitly called an 'Electric Scoreboard'.

Necratoid

Quote:
(My apologies if this comes off sounding... hmm jerkish, but people underestimating Naruto tech levels pushes my buttons)
That's nice... however... no. First I was speaking of the anime... so telling me that I should go read the manga is not really a useful comment. See the differences in Berserk, Full Metal Alchemist, Slayers, etc... for reasons why.
You also are blatantly ignoring my point as a matter of logic. First of while having all that diagnostic computer equipment would technically save chakra... it makes no sense to be there in the first place.
The only reason the mudball your standing on has and MRI or a CAT scan is Star Trek fanboys.... as Star Trek (let alone TV) is something I've never seen in Naruto I'm going to have to disagree. The Tech tree is stupidly wrong in the world of Naruto for computers and medical scanning tech that aren't integrated into anything socially.
Tech comes from somewhere. The original Star Trek (in the process of figuring out how to do things within budget constrains) made up much tech that came out in resent decades. Among this stuff is personal computers, medical scanning equipment and cell phones... for a more extensive list watch the program 'How William Shatner Changed the World' on the History channel.
Lacking Star Trek the drive to make all this fantasy tech is different. They have Chakra Tech. Jutsu are Tech, just like electronics. Naruto's world is loaded with niija. That is why you don't see guns. Throwing weapons and elemental jutsu are far more useful than any musket around there. So guns are too weak a tech to develop for the ninja. Tanks were WWI terror weapons... slow, clunky, but got past all that annoying barbed wire and over some of those annoying trenches to some extent. Barbed wire was there to stall people for long enough to mow down with machine guns. No machine guns... no barbed wire, no tanks.
When you can outrun any early motorized vehicle, development by the military is not going to get funding.
The tech I've seen is all late 1800s or earlier. Except those two systems with monitors. Even the high tech ships Gaara took out in a filler movie were steam ships (as I've been told anyway). As I said the two examples of higher level electronics tech are random and spring forth from nowhere.
I'm sure nukes and Gundams would be useful to the ninja... it doesn't mean that they are going to get/think of them. No regardless of the usefulness of such item, there existence is not explained or logical.
I never could figure out were the power was coming from anyway... I mean no petroleum products, or coal mines, or hydro-electric plants, or wind mills, or large sources are in any smoke Kohona shots I've seen... Unless they are getting power from chakra or electric trees or something I can't figure out how they got the power in the first place.
At least having the city lit at night makes sense to develop for tech... but answering that they skipped decades of tech and research to make that medical equipment. Simply, because tech would be useful and usable doesn't mean it actually could be there in the first place. The medical tech machine being prime examples.
It could also be me, but I only remember the 'electronic scoreboard' having two names on it at once... and they wrote down the results... so I'm not sure is calling it a scoreboard makes sense. Electronic... I'll take your word for it I guess... but I doubt its more powerful that game show tech from the 1970's... I'd more believe it was two spinning semi round shapes with the names on them... during the matches the pins are retracted or pulled off so the names don't come up again. Mechanical in other words. That and a single lightbulb would make it and 'electronic scoreboard'.
Also... the only mass produced boosk I can recall is a little orange porn book and as far as I know it could be hand written. So printing presses are iffy, let alone a keyboard... spontaneously generated Kabuto keyboard aside. I doubt they even have modern paper as they don't have a crushed rock industry to support the road building.
I realize that this is getting off thread topic... but spontaneous electronic genesis is just plain terrible as an exclamation. 'Kabuto said, "Let there be electronic devices decades or more ahead of the tech curve!" and there was... and it came with a 4,000+ page manual, being the cannon explaination.
Quote:
That's nice... however... no. First I was speaking of the anime... so telling me that I should go read the manga is not really a useful comment. See the differences in Berserk, Full Metal Alchemist, Slayers, etc... for reasons why.
Great Examples. Not really applicable yet. To the best of my knowledge, despite all the filler there hasn't been that kind of huge diveragance, and certainly not during/before the wave country arc (part of why I chose such an early scene). Also it is quicker to find the relevent scenes in manga than anime. My apologies.

Quote:
You also are blatantly ignoring my point as a matter of logic. First of while having all that diagnostic computer equipment would technically save chakra... it makes no sense to be there in the first place.
The only reason the mudball your standing on has and MRI or a CAT scan is Star Trek fanboys.... as Star Trek (let alone TV) is something I've never seen in Naruto I'm going to have to disagree. The Tech tree is stupidly wrong in the world of Naruto for computers and medical scanning tech that aren't integrated into anything socially.
The point you were making as I read it was simply that chakra techniques make the existance of non-chakra medical technologies illogical, but can every medic perform to the level that makes that equipment unnecessary? When you know that there is some way of doing something, but can't do it yourself because of physical limitations, you begin to look for alternate methods. The scanning equipment at least could potentially be reverse engineered from the technique; we have no way of knowing as they do not explain how the chakra techniques work.
Quote:
Lacking Star Trek the drive to make all this fantasy tech is different. They have Chakra Tech. Jutsu are Tech, just like electronics. Naruto's world is loaded with niija. That is why you don't see guns. Throwing weapons and elemental jutsu are far more useful than any musket around there. So guns are too weak a tech to develop for the ninja. Tanks were WWI terror weapons... slow, clunky, but got past all that annoying barbed wire and over some of those annoying trenches to some extent. Barbed wire was there to stall people for long enough to mow down with machine guns. No machine guns... no barbed wire, no tanks.
When you can outrun any early motorized vehicle, development by the military is not going to get funding.

I wasn't wondering 'why don't they have guns' 'cause this is largely my thinking too on that issue, was just pointing out things that seemed to be explicitly /not/ there.

Quote:
The tech I've seen is all late 1800s or earlier. Except those two systems with monitors. Even the high tech ships Gaara took out in a filler movie were steam ships (as I've been told anyway). As I said the two examples of higher level electronics tech are random and spring forth from nowhere.

Episode 7, around the 8 minute mark. The small boat they arrived on has a gas motor. (or at least a pull start combustion of some kind) the earliest general tech levels I can give credence to are 1920sish. Particularly as Naruto has a fridge, an electric kettle, mass produced milk, and instant ramen. (Ref: Episode 3, around shortly after intro)
Also, double check the Tsunade retrieval arc. In the manga at least there are all kinds of things, from slot machines, to neon lights.

Quote:
I'm sure nukes and Gundams would be useful to the ninja... it doesn't mean that they are going to get/think of them. No regardless of the usefulness of such item, there existence is not explained or logical.

Neither of which I meant to suggest were available (saying "that the tech levels are about equal to ours" was a pretty huge gaffe I admit.)

Quote:
It could also be me, but I only remember the 'electronic scoreboard' having two names on it at once... and they wrote down the results... so I'm not sure is calling it a scoreboard makes sense. Electronic... I'll take your word for it I guess... but I doubt its more powerful that game show tech from the 1970's... I'd more believe it was two spinning semi round shapes with the names on them... during the matches the pins are retracted or pulled off so the names don't come up again. Mechanical in other words. That and a single lightbulb would make it and 'electronic scoreboard'.
'Electric Scoreboard' So quite possibly. However a scene or three before that had the hokage and others looking at video screens to see Team 7 enter the tower.
Quote:
Also... the only mass produced boosk I can recall is a little orange porn book and as far as I know it could be hand written. So printing presses are iffy, let alone a keyboard... spontaneously generated Kabuto keyboard aside. I doubt they even have modern paper as they don't have a crushed rock industry to support the road building.
Books and (at least semi)modern paper are actually scattered all throughout the series if you actually pay any real attention to the background. Just rewatch episode 2. (10 minute mark they're in a bookstore for crying out loud!)
Quote:
I realize that this is getting off thread topic... but spontaneous electronic genesis is just plain terrible as an exclamation. 'Kabuto said, "Let there be electronic devices decades or more ahead of the tech curve!" and there was... and it came with a 4,000+ page manual, being the cannon explaination.
Aside from a few video monitors and such, the only place I've seen such technology is in the hospitals. But it is consistantly in the hospitals. (at least manga, my anime collection only goes to ep 24 sadly)
I'll drop it after your rebuttle, as it is rude for us to continue hi-jacking the thread.
Quote:
I'll drop it after your rebuttle, as it is rude for us to continue hi-jacking the thread.
Given it was originally my thread, I can safely say I don't particularly mind
But I think, really, deciding what Naruto tech levels are is really an exercise best left up to the reader.
Because the tech aspect of world-building doesn't seem a priority to Kishimoto, the series creator. He's said that the Naruto world doesn't have guns and missiles, but only because guns would detract from the shinobi focus.
From that and other comments, I'm guessing he's the sort of guy who only thinks about such things in a fairly casual manner, only insofar as they provide a backdrop and set dressing...or directly infringe on the story.
There's also the fact that the Naruto world's an intentional fusion of traditional Japanese ninja stuff with contemporary sensibilities and setting. This is most apparent in fashion...how we see characters dress.
So we intentionally get anachronisms juxtaposed with modern things.
And this is a standard anime device. Naruto isn't the only world/series which does this - I recommend checking out Houshin Engi or Gensomaden Saiyuki for comparative examples.
The latter features Sanzo as a Buddhist Priest with traditional robes...spandex under said robes...evil-sealing scriptures round his neck...and a celestian handgun. Mind, that's nothing, because the second TV season introduces a God with a celestial AK-47.
That's how I see the Naruto world. And that in turn, tends to affect how I write about it. It's supposed to be that way, just roll with it, y'know?
And there's a heckova lot of in-jokes and puns with regards to the names of canon characters, jokes and references in the canon jutsu...
-- Acyl
Quote:
Barbed wire was there to stall people for long enough to mow down with machine guns. No machine guns... no barbed wire, no tanks.
I'd just like to point out one factual flaw here. Barbed wire was originally an agricultural technology. It was the first wire fencing technology capable of restraining cattle, which combined with its ease and low price of deployment made it an instant success with ranchers. The first practical barbed wire system was patented in 1874 -- it took about 40 years for someone to decide to use it for military purposes. Thus, barbed wire is not dependent upon the development of guns.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...