Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Dealing with the Orignials
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a voracious fanfiction reader, I have noticed that it has become somewhat harder for me to sit back and enjoy some of the original works on their own merits. Top of the list here would be Harry Potter, as I have read a number of post GoF or post OotP works that I found more enjoyable than what madam Rowling produced. However, that seems to be a somewhat common complaint in that specific case.
More generally, Im a particular fan of crossover fiction and over the last year or so I have been noticing that I cant seem to read or watch things and simply lose myself in the story as it is any more. There always seems to be a part of my brain envisioning how some other character or set of characters from another setting would deal with whats going on in the story. Most recently, I bought the second season of Rurouni Kenshin on DVD, and while I love it, every time the characters on screen start talking about god-like speed or abilities, my attention becomes diverted with thoughts of these people meeting characters who can show them what that term really means.
Does anyone else here have this problem? An inability to just take in the original work as is? Should I consider it a problem?
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
... though this doesn't only apply to reading.
The most recent example being when I got Digital Devil Saga and started playing.
'Okay, so we have bunches of gunslingers who turn into demons fighting for domination over what looks like a post apocalyptic world ... and Vincent Valentine wouldn't fit in there, why?'
But then, I consider putting Vincent pretty much everywhere that's got guns. And some places that don't ... the plan to write something about the guy touring through every Final Fantasy after 7, with the possible exception of 9, has been percolating in my mind ever since I first finished FF8 years and years ago.
Although, perhaps that's not such a good idea.
I can just imagine the scene:
Vincent*broods*
Squall*broods*
Vincent*frowns, broods some more*
Squall*...*
ad nauseum. You get the idea.

Also, I can't stop myself from wondering how Evil Dead would have turned out with Vincent the Turk in Ash's shoes, Lucrecia as his girlfriend, etc.

And, by the by, DDS really is the superior product, Chris. I shall never doubt your mastery again.

... whenever I read Berserk, I wonder how Manji of Blade of the Immortal fame would do there.

... whenever I read Blade of the Immortal, I get the urge to write a spamfic crossover with Rurouni Kenshin, where the Battousai repeatedly runs into the same guy he'd left for dead last night over the course of a week, terminating with Kenshin breaking down and crying 'why won't you die already?!'
Reading Dan Brown's 'Langdon' books has me repeating the 'Art thou my master?' scene from Fayt/Stay Night and chuckling madly at inopportune moments.

... on a sidenote, and this is pretty off topic, but has anyone noticed that most LotR crossover fanfiction where one character from another source lands in Middle-Earth somehow, for one reason or another, is almost as boring as the original books?
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
The big problem is that the original works are very DENSE. Lots of information that modern readers would otherwise seek out on the Novel's website if they were interested.
Honestly, LOTR, like most of the stuff by Dumas, Dickens, and others, is designed to be digested chapter by chapter. You just can't read it all in one sitting and understand it.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
That depends on the person- I sped-read the series (one book every couple of days; it *is* dense, after all) in 7th grade, and understood it just fine.Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Yes
Harry Potter like you said. I've got a thread on Anime Addventure where he's meetig up with Harry Grimoire of the US Darkstalkers cartoon.(I'm pushing it with that one, but it has greater claim than Gold Digger to be on the Anime Addventure)
The DCU and Marvel universes. DC and Marvel don't care about their characters.
A lot of US cartoons
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Well, I find myself thinking about how the Negima model of martial arts is what I'd want to see Tsuchi and Miyou using in Tatsu no Kanshin more than the Naruto model, and to have Negi as a DADA teacher sometime after his own series ends, and how Ku Fei completely wipes out Shampoo for cute chinese martial artist in almost every category, and furthermore how Honya is the couragous "shy type" girl Hinata wishes she could be, and the possibilities in substituting Karin's grandma whose name I can't recall for Eva, and... yeah.
I think it's kind of normal once you realise that reality is malleable to your will.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
I think it's kind of normal once you realise that reality is malleable to your will.
And thus, the existence of fanfiction is explained.
Ja, -n
(coming to you live and direct from Crescent City, California)

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"