Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Writercon Kerfluffle.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You can read up on the 'situation', and my response to the complaints at:
jpublic.livejournal.com/76506.html--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]

Loki Laufeyjarson

While I am heterosexual and not a paticular fan of slash fiction I have to say that all this extreme reaction to slash fiction is a bit extreme.
There is no reason why having written a slash fic should preclude an author from having something meaningful to say about things like characterization in a panel. I have come across smaller fandoms were the better written fics that included realistic portrayal of the world and believable character interaction and growth also featured same-gender pairings with no basis in canon. I put that down to the idea that some girls liked the idea of two boys getting it on and that female writer were more interested in charcter interaction while male writers were more into things going BOOM! or CRASH!.
Of course some of the stuff you can find out there in masses really is godawful, but you shouldn't be looking in place like Fanfiction.net Medimainer or adultfanfiction.net for quality fanfiction in the first place.
The complaint that was made in the original blog about females coming in and gaying up the fandom is a bit silly. Wasn't the creator of Buffy/Firefly some sort of feminist filmstudent or something? It aren't the chicks who turn Xander gay (something that he is rumored to have been considering himself before going with Willow instead) who are perverting the creators vision its the writers who turn Xander from zeppo to superhero or turn Willow back straight who are distorting the fandom.
Whedon has repeatedly said he's a feminist, and has admitted to being a rather odd one.
Quote:
It aren't the chicks who turn Xander gay (something that he is rumored to have been considering himself before going with Willow instead) who are perverting the creators vision its the writers who turn Xander from zeppo to superhero or turn Willow back straight who are distorting the fandom.
Actually, it was Xander or Willow, and they were warned during the filming of S2 that it would happen. It was basically decided to go with Willow because of demographics and the fact that Xander was more valuable as an everyman than the token gay guy.
As for 'perverting the creator's vision', I think that's a bit unfair, don't you? I don't think that slashing up Xander is any more odd than making Willow hop the fence back.
And considering the entire Buffyverse is based on teenaged girls getting superpowers out of some cosmic lottery, and one where people get odd superpowers out of nowhere, buffing up Xander isn't *that* odd. I confess to being more suprised that he went the whole series essentially mundane - he's the exception to Whedon's usual Modus Operandi.

But yes, I find the extreme pro-slash/anti-het and/or pro-het/anti-slash nutjobs to be downright scary at times.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]

Kokuten

This whole argument is stupid. Did Sailor Nothing make a splash as 'controversial'? How about any of the millions of 'Ranma Saotome: Cold Blooded Killer' fic?
For _my_ sake, Fanfic is a community that lives and breathes on perverting the creator's vision! I'm sure that the creators of BGC never concieved of _Bubblegum Pink_, or the creators of Sailor Moon of _Sailor Nothing_, but as fanfic, we love 'em!
This argument is based on a pathetic fallacy, namely, that sexual orientation of characters is a 'sarcosanct' quality, and somehow differs from any other quality that the characters may have.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979