Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: No more "Twisting The Hellmouth" for me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At work, at least, anyway. I must have downloaded something at some point that threw up a red flag, because when I went to check the latest updates this morning, I got the big ol' "Access Denied" screen. Either that or whoever supplies the filtering software decided to include TTH in its latest list of subversive or unprofitable sites.
Weirdly enough, though, I can still get to ff.net...
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
TTH allows smut, methinks, which is why it might flag it. Let me go check the lists....
Yup. It's on the smut list.
It also shows up in our 'illict access to copyrighted material' list, but oddly enough, FF.net doesn't. Bizzarre.
Oh well, good thing we don't block anything at my work. Wonderful side effect of working for a University, they have that whole 'no censorship & intellectual freedom' thing going.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]

WengFook

One would think that slash would also be filed under the smut category but apparently not :O
If we follow this logic they are telling us that straight smut is bad. but slash is okay [Image: happy.gif] _______________________________
We are the swords in the darkness, the watchers on the walls. The fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn. The horn that wakes the sleepers. The shield that guards the realms of men. -The Brothers Black
What really puzzles me is that some weeks ago by accident -- clicking on one of the "new chapter" links on the updates page -- I actually did grab some smut down to my work machine off of fanficauthors.net. But that site is still cool with the censorware.
I'm confused.
-- Bob
---------
Ya mean that they use an automated censorship system?
And it only censors site that have been visited?
Re: Slash != Smut
Ah, welcome to the wonder of political correctness. My guess is that FF.Net thinks that if they rate slash as smut, people will start complaining about them being homophobic.[Image: Bansho.jpg]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
I actually don't know precisely how the system works -- at one time I knew the specific product, but there's so little available information on it that I couldn't learn anything of worth -- but I would presume that it flags potentially-offending material for review. I mean, in the years that it's been up, it's nailed EPU and TTH, both sites I visited quite a bit. (Although TTH only in the last couple months.) But I'm only guessing. For all I know, the folks in our Glass Room are just blindly installing update packs from the manufacturer, and I just got sideswiped by one by coincidence.
-- Bob
---------

WengFook

Quote:
Re: Slash != Smut
Ah, welcome to the wonder of political correctness. My guess is that FF.Net thinks that if they rate slash as smut, people will start complaining about them being homophobic.
isn't there a word describing this? Semantics?
I've always had the opinion to call things as it really is.. Political correctness has its place. and this really shouldn't be one of them [Image: frown.gif] _______________________________
We are the swords in the darkness, the watchers on the walls. The fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn. The horn that wakes the sleepers. The shield that guards the realms of men. -The Brothers Black