Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Possible Shakeup at the FFML...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
An innocent comment over on the FFML has triggered the most traffic the list has seen in years. At this moment, the ultimate fate and focus of the FFML are being discussed and some long-hidden heads are lifting and making their opinions known... The volume of mail was so large I spent all my early-morning online time clearing out my inbox of FFML discussion.
I'm curious whether this will result in actual change in the FFML, or if the status quo will reassert itself.-- Bob
---------
I loot faster. -- Peggy Schroeck, D&D game, in response to a crisis situation that arises while she's searching the bodies of four recent opponents.
Good.
I've never gotten any good feedback form the FFML. Ever.
I've gotten far better feedback from fanfiction.net then I ever have from the FFML. I've gotten better reviews here than from there. I honestly don't know why I even try to post there (and try is the operative since the ffml insist on turning my fic into mush).
--------------
Epsilon
The amusinig part was I've considering leaving the FFML for a while now.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]

WengFook

But what was the comment about? what caused the whole thing?_______________________________
We are the swords in the darkness, the watchers on the walls. The fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn. The horn that wakes the sleepers. The shield that guards the realms of men. -The Brothers Black

Elsa Bibat

Well, that was about due.
I was hoping to get back to posting again after I get my gears running. Heck, with the tapering off a few years ago, I thought it would be earlier.
Anyway, the FFML was/is a nice place though as always in any community you'll have to have a bit of luck with the audience to get good responses. Plus, if your fic isn't exactly to anyone's taste they get open season to rip it apart. Posting to the FFML is like playing Russian Roullete with an unknown amount of barrels and an unknown number of bullets. And some of those bullets are dum-dums and some are made of chocolate.
I thank the gods that some of the stories I posted clicked with the right people and got them to provide good commentary. Otherwise, all you'll get is the "keep up the good work" ego fodder which is nice but won't exactly help in making the fic better. But the massaged ego is great. ^_^
Another good thing about the FFML is the higher minimum standard. Just imagine a majority of the FF.net authors posting on the FFML... hmmm, the smell of burning badfic authors. At the very least, they get broken, them or their bad habits, early before they spread.
Anyway, I'll just try to post a fic regularly after all the hubbub. I need some ego massaging. ^_^
Quote:
But what was the comment about? what caused the whole thing?
You know, I don't remember now! But the furor is still going on...-- Bob
---------
I loot faster. -- Peggy Schroeck, D&D game, in response to a crisis situation that arises while she's searching the bodies of four recent opponents.
It started with a series of Fic Searches, which led to Lurker complainting and posting the list rules, which led to someone saying 'any traffic is better than no traffic', which led to this.--

NotDavies

I have a question that should possibly be posted in the TK194X section of the boards, but since everyone there reads these too ...
If the FFML admins decide to open the door to non-anime fic, would anyone involved in TK194X mind much if I were to repost the chapters of Hypocritic Oath to the FFML? I didn't post it there the first time since its connections to anime are rather oblique, and since none of the other stories in the continuity have been posted there ... but it would, I think, definitely draw some attention to the project.
*thumbs up*
Go for it!
*eyes the five projects sitting on top of Instantiation in his 'to do' pile mournfully*
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Maybe the list will go back to what it was supposed to be.
A place to get pre-readers for fanfiction before they are posted to RAAC or to some other permanent area and none of this get a pre-reader before posting to the FFML.
It's no wonder the Anime Addventure took so many writers.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
I mean, for the last few years, I've used it solely as a distribution channel, since there are only a few people there I'd trust to give me good C&C.-- Bob
---------
Honestly, with my current BtVS stuff, that's what I'd like it to be, a place I can get my stuff Beta'd.
Right now, I have to do the following for my BtVS stuff:
1) Send to my beta. (aka Pass 1)
2) Send to my LJ (pass 2)
3) *THEN* I can post it on my board.
It'd be nice if I can replace step 1 with FFML. My beta's currently an author I really respect, and I don't like spoiling him.--
Well it looks like the FFML has opened up quite a ways, but there are still some restrictions on what you can post there.
I think Bob has the list of what can and can't be used.
--------------------
I do, but so does Chris, I'm pretty sure.
As announced yesterday, 27 June 2006:
We've finally had a chance to sit down and discuss this as a whole and here is a listing of what genres are allowed under the new FFML banner:Comics: DC, Marvel, independent publishers, hell, even Heavy Metal, etc. But not Archie comics (see below).Sci-fi/Fantasy material (literary, television, movie). Yes, it includes Harry Potter. The only reason for considering excluding it was due to volume, not content. Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Buffy, Xena, and like genres all permissible. Not things like, Desperate Housewives, Magnum PI, Titanic, etc.Video Games: Really need some sort of sci-fi/anime/fantasy element. Final Fantasy has always been permitted. Resident Evil would qualify. Legend of Zelda, sure. Pac Man no. No to Frogger as well. Pong my mind cant grasp it, but even if it could be done, no.Crossovers of non-permissible stuff and permitted things. The policy has always been as long as the permitted elements are more than token, its fine, which is why Harry Potter/Anime xovers were allowed. Writing a story where Ranma goes to Hawaii to learn detective work from Thomas Magnum: okay (City Hunter would make better sense, but, eh). Writing a story where Magnum says Hi to Ranma in an airport terminal in one scene and Ranma disappears from the fic while Magnum solves a case: not okay. Common sense obviously applies here.For clarification, just ask. Well tell you yes or no. Theres always the possibility of something new being added as time goes on. Dont be afraid.Itll be a work in progress, so expect there to be some rough edges that need smoothing. Maybe a lot. And theres always the possibility that with new genres opening up, all new flamewars might crop up along with it, so do try to be on good behavior since we want the forum as open as possible and dont want ADMIN oppression to be the norm. Again apply common sense.There are a number of authors who have been quite open about not allowing fanfiction of their works, so those are banned. Included in this list are anything by: P.N. Elrod Raymond Feist Terry Goodkind Laurell K. Hamilton Robin Hobb Dennis L. McKiernan Robin McKinley Irene Radford Anne Rice Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb Archie comics Anne McCaffery Mercedes Lackey Marion Zimmer BradleyDC and Marvel lemons are not allowed. This is being extended to any story using those characters, even if its a crossover and the lemon elements dont involve the licensed characters. Were just covering our backsides here.The above list will be added to as other authors but the boot on fanficcing their works as well.Remember, though, this will only work if people go through the hassle of C+Cing things, preferably publicly. Otherwise expansion of the list does no good. Like the man says, youll take out what you put in. Or something like that.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...

Kokuten

Quote:
Laurell K. Hamilton
'Cause, Anita Blake, Vampire Humper, is SUCH a compelling universe to right fic in.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
'Cause, Anita Blake, Vampire Humper, is SUCH a compelling universe to right fic in.
356 entires at Twisting the Hellmouth. 50% more than Highlander.
--------------------
Epsilon
Quote:
'Cause, Anita Blake, Vampire Humper, is SUCH a compelling universe to right fic in.
Well, if you work it into a 2nd Edition World of Darkness fanfic it may work.
You get these ideas after reading the good books in the series: 1-5.
It also helps when the Homosidal Psychopathic Hunter has the same name as you.
EdwardWhen I say Jump, I want you out the window, you got that Demon-boy!
What!
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
From the Literarysnark LJ:
community.livejournal.com...tml#cutid1
Probably the best LKH/AB rant ever.--
Quote:
Probably the best LKH/AB rant ever.
Never read'em, and now I never want to.
-- Bob
---------
Oh, and just one thing from the new FFML guidelines...
Quote:
Pong my mind cant grasp it, but even if it could be done, no.
Naturally, as soon as this was up, someone composed and posted a Pong crossover spamfic...
-- Bob
---------
I have read a series of books with a Mary Sue/Marty Stu character and they are quite good. The James Bond novels by Ian Flemming.
The character Richard Seaton from Skylark easily qualifies for Marty Stu territory. Kimball Kennison's physical description was based on himself and Cris Kennison(McDougal) was based on his wife's appearance.
Ah well, Doc Smith was more interested in telling science fiction stories(the more unlikely the science the better) and it was the science(later psionics) that was the star of his stories, not the characters.
Besides if you really want to mess around with Vampires, there are so many other choices available and thanks to role playing games, there are worlds that will allow fanfiction.
Ah yes that brings something to mind, RIFTS and anything dealing with Palladium owned properties is probably a no-no. Kevin Siembieda is a real jerk about Palladium stuff. I still shake my head in disbelief when he tried to get the Great Mekton Net Book pulled off the net, because it had Macross mecha in it, even though the people who did the write-ups went to the original source and did their own write-ups. I think Palladium had lost the Robotech liscence at the time, but he still tried to get GMNB off the net.
Hmmm. Most of the worlds described for the various role-playing games have been used in novels.Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
--------------------