Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Little Old Me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Doubtful anyone has really wondered what I've been up to.. but I may as well make note of it somewhere.
I've shelved Page of the Limitless Blade due to an unexpected.. conflict.. with Telenet Japan. It's not anything official, of course.
Telenet Japan recently celebrated the 20th anniversary of the Valis game series... by having a game company who has put out such delightful titles as Rape! Rape! Rape! make a new series.
I don't think I have to tell you what the contents are like.
I don't think I have to describe how NEGATIVE the reaction has been of Valis fans who have found out about this.
I was originally going to play with a Valis continuation... something playing with the extradimensional nature of the swords in the series. Play around with the idea of building a new world for Valis and Lithus to land in.
Not anymore.
My current little project is 'Phantom Soldier Valis' the title closely derived from the original 'Phantasmal Soldier Valis' title. Basically. I'm going to paint the events of the original platformer games with finer strokes.
Sort of like taking an OVA series and expanding it to a couple of TV seasons, as it were.
I seem to do my best work when I have a full head of nerd fury going....
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Not to rain on your righteous fury or anything, but I'm pretty sure the company that made the... dubiously named game... *isn't* the same as the one making the new Valis games.
Which isn't to say this isn't an awfully weird development. Non-adult versions being made of adult games isn't really new, but I don't think I've heard of it going the other way around before. And why take a side scrolling platformer and make a "command selection type ADV" out of it? That seems like even more a violation of the original formula than throwing in H. It's not like there aren't other action/H games out there...
-Morgan.
There was supposed to be a signature here, but I forgot what I was going to put in it...
Alas, I've never been able to read Japanese very well. Something gets jumbled up in my head when I try to take the step from vocabulary to syntax. So I'd been relying on someone else's intpretation of who was making it.
But all things considered, the content is consistant from that title to these.
I'm not REALLY angry as much as I am rather disappointed.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Quick aside, Morganni -- welcome to the forums!

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...
I don't really know much Japanese myself. (I got "command selection type ADV" from an autotranslation... but from other things I've seen, that's probably accurate.) But I knew a site that sold both games, and I knew where that site listed manufacturer names.
On the content issue... well, more machine translation suggests you've probably got that about right too. But then, it's been my experience that promotional materials for this sort of game rarely accurately describe the contents... And of course, machine translation just confuses the issue more.
Personally I'd be inclined towards optimism, and think that maybe if this is successful there's a chance that they'll make a real Valis game again sometime in the future. But then, I'd also never heard of the series before today. ^_^;;;
(Does Bob notice everyone that's making their first post? o.O He could be anywhere!)
-Morgan. I thought I had something else I was going to say in this post, but I'm too tired to remember now..."I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, or espers here, come sleep with me."
---From "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
-----(Not really)
Quote:
(Does Bob notice everyone that's making their first post? o.O He could be anywhere!)
Actually, as Board Admin, I get a little tiny note at the bottom of my master display of the forums reporting who the newest member is and giving a link to their first post. But when I say "tiny", I mean it -- it's very easy to overlook unless I make a point of checking it. I'm pretty sure I missed someone new recently, as the member count is at least two higher than I remember it being before I went on vacation, but I haven't figured out who. If you are reading this, mysterious person(s), rest assured that I haven't been snubbing you -- I just missed you joining the community.

-- Bob
---------
Hmm... I see the l33t ninja stealth skills that my friends claim I have work online too..[Image: Bansho.jpg]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
As much my general tiredness the first night after we got home from Florida as that, I suspect.
Well, then, DKnight, a belated welcome to the boards to you as well!

-- Bob
---------
It's very hard to feel positive when screenshots include chains, weeping and groping tentacles.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead