Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Tiny bunny
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It occurs to me that Ranma's been crossed over with just about every series and done just about every combatant role known to man... but one thing I don't remember seeing is havbing him train as a Blue Mage ala Final Fantasy. He already does a pretty good job of copying techniques, so it would be more a matter of refining it than training from scratch, but it seems an obvious crossover choice, as much so as Kingdom Hearts/Bleach.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
O_o a blue mage?
I admit, I've played less than half the FF games, but I don't recall a blue mage (White, Black and Red are the only colours I know of).__________________
"I know when I'm not wanted. I usually don't listen, but I know." - Harper (Andromeda)
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
In more recent games... Final Fantasy Tactics Advance has a 'Blue Mage' job, keeping with the old tradition.
The meme also pops up in, say, FFX and FFX2. In FFX, Kimahri's Overdrive was 'Ronzo Rage', but it functioned exactly like Blue Magic - he could use enemy skills he'd been hit by. Likewise, in FFX2, one of the Dress Spheres is 'Gun Mage', and the Gun Mage special ability is 'Blue Bullet'... which works as you might expect.
And FFVII had the 'Enemy Skill' materia...
The Blue Magic thing is in most Final Fantasy games. Just not always by that name.
-- Acyl

Kokuten

and ff6 had gau's 'Rage' ability.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Hm, hey now. ClassicDrogn's original observation was...how Ranma's ability to learn new skills bears a distinct similarity to the whole Final Fantasy Blue Mage thing.
But the whole notion of copying abilities is hardly exclusive to Ranma or Final Fantasy, isn't it? It's a common story device...
...which is to say, I've got this mental image of Sasuke - that is, the Naruto ninja Sasuke - in FFTA Blue Mage gear.
Hey, after all, he already wears blue...
-- Acyl
Well, my original image was along the lines of Blue Mage Ranma dropping in on the naruto world and hearing about the wonderful Uchiha clan and their mysterious copying abilities, and saying "What's so special about that? I can do it, and so could anyone else if they wanted ta' learn... not as good as me maybe, but they could."
- CD is not an Ucha fan. Pun intended.SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
And guess who would take over Naruto's training for the Chunin exam?
Or maybe use the time-honored 'person x raises Naruto' option here?
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm

Feinan

*snickers* Ranma raising Naruto? That has potential, I'll admit...but the poor gaki still wouldn't learn any social skills...
The blind leading the blind, after all... [Image: smile.gif]
-Feinan
He'll have a fangirl club/harem though if he's raised by Ranma...
I have a mental image of Naruto and Sasuke dishing it out over who has the bigger/better harem. ;p

Necratoid

There is a spam fic where he swallows an enimy skill materia and learns every move ever used on him that way... spam because I pointed out that the materia divides every 16 skills and he'd starve or explode after a while due to the duplication. The writer agreed and kept it short.
That and in FFX Kimari learns attacks by using lancet on certain mobs not getting hit with their attacks.
Strago(the old guy) was the Blue mage in FF6... Gau learned monsters entire skill base went he trained with them.