Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Hollow, an example of bad writing.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Necratoid

I'm writing this here to respond to happerry's suggestion of it being good without clogging the new fics thread. Continuing from what started there.
The fic in question is here: www.fanfiction.net/s/2864591/1/
Quote:
There! The cupboard under the stairs, where he'd been moved to, shortly before his body's destruction. The negative energy of a Hollows' transformation almost caked the tiny "room". Yamamoto had certainly not been joking when he had said that Voldemort had been unable to change for too long.
Hollow transformation energies are localized by where the Hollows are at the time... so he had to transform in Harry's old cupboard bedroom or this is a nonsense line. To believe anything else means that Harry walked around for years radiating high levels of Hollow transformation energies... inside an area monitored for exotic energies area, in an England, where all such energies are erased on general principle.
That should be first level charicter: and to be the captain of the 11th you have to be able to win against the last one in combat. Though looking again I can't see what squad he managed to get vice captainship of (with no explained experience)... the only ones mentioned were the 11th and the 1st and it isn't either of those, I think, details are missing on this... but 'Harry' is getting a captainship upgrade from his vice-captain current rank.
In otherwords the Bleach parts are non-sensical. The Harry Potter parts are about bashing of the Wizard World. 'Harry' is not recognizable... and he has to have an 'Aura of Smooth' to get away with saying he is wearing "These are the latest in military issue HUD glasses" then "Heaven, is what I believe you westerners call it." Providing no proof or doing anything a kid can't normally do, he is utterly believed.
Read/skimmed the 3rd chapter and found "Bankai Hyourinmaru", no reference to the second mode at all. Not that it matters considering its a bankai form so impressive its awesome form is to good too describe. The invisible form of a sword maybe? The fact its still a sword is mentioned... but not what that form is. I'm appartently suppose to become involved in a story with this level of detail bt baffled how.
Mentions the 10 division being his captainship... yeah.
Seriously, why do you think this was good, happerry?

Elsa Bibat

I agree with Necratoid's points - I was going to chime in the original thread and saw this here.
In simple words: it does not suspend disbelief - which is what any good story does.
Also, it has a pretty stupid opener - too fast, too simple and too easy - all about tell and not show. Just 'coolness' shots without the underlying background.
I'm really curious on what makes this was a fic to recommend.
I thought that it was an interesting read and it let me put aside my disbelief I guess we well just have to put it up to having diferent reading styles. Also I have never actually hade a chance to watch bleach so facts such as
Quote:
and to be the captain of the 11th you have to be able to win against the last one in combat.
are not currently known to me. I am sadly anime deprived but for one gundam wing movie (that I got for my little brother and have never found time to actually watch, so I do not know much details besides what I can pick up in other people's fanfics.
Actually, there are three ways to become a captain; that's just one of them.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]

Custos Sophiae

I'm not familiar with Bleach, but this fic makes it too easy for Harry to defeat Voldemort
No doubt a good crossover could be written - give the wizards knowledge of the Bleach-style occult, and maybe tie in Dementors, who are soul-eaters - but this isn't it.
The same author also has a Naruto crossover, which could be interesting. However, this fic too, while technically competent, is grossly unbalanced.
In both cases, it's not the writing as such that's bad; it's the plot construction.
This is grossly unbalanced Raikiri Triken: The Three Souls Swordsman, For Your Dream is only partly unbalanced.

Necratoid

Aleh, I was refering to the 11th in particular... You have to be top of the heap of the combat freaks. Combat freaks with centuries or millenia of practice. Political appointments for the 11th won't work and the vice-captain taking over for the fallen captain would end up a tournament.
For an example just how under powered that Harry is... the only charicter I can think of who has around this 'Harry's' power level is a middle aged man who performs exorcisms as a reality show... that mostly joke charicter is more powerful than Harry. A Bankai is a third stage power up of a soul slayer (physical incarnation of your spiritual power)... Think the power levels of digimon. This Harry needed that much power to break a mirror.
Harry didn't use bankai to break the mirror -- he saw his bankai in the mirror.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]