Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Not fanfic: Baen Free Previews/Library/Webscriptions recs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Habeus Corpses looks like it might be interesting - but I'm not into vampires enoguh to buy a copy to find out. What's here free is of the nifty, however.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
I thought you all knew about it already otherwise I would of pointed it out

The Wanderer

"Habeas Corpses" is actually the third book in a somewhat ongoing series - after "Dead On My Feet" and "One Foot In the Grave". The first book had (and has, if you go digging for it) an interesting freely-available "preview" teaser, consisting of the first chapter or three; however, although the first two books are good, the work as a whole so far doesn't really live up to the promise of that initial teaser.
I have, however, bought the first two books on the strength of that first teaser (so as to get myself into position to read the teaser for the third), and despite the slight disappointment have not really regretted it yet. ^_^
(Does the Snoopy Dance of Joy) David Weber has gone back to the Path of the Fury setting! The top-page ARC-offer at baen.com is a combined prequel/second edition. More Alley! More Tis! More Meg! YAY!
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
I know, its available right now as an ebook ( 6 months before its published)
I read the whole thing in one single setting.
ALWAYS has been my favorite of his book, bar none.
looks *so* good. Path of the Fury is actually the first David Weber book I read, and started me onto reading his Honor Harrington series, and I've always had a fond attachment to it.
Definitely getting this one. =)
If I buy it, am I just buying the right to read it now? i.e. If I want a hardcover or a paperback version of the book, I'd need to go out and buy another set when it comes out?
When I borrowed Windriders Oath from my library, it came with a _very_ nice CD, that contained several books from Baen, including almost the entire Honor series. Just wish I could remember where I put the copy of the CD I burned...--
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaught of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
A new Honorverse CD came out in 'At All Cost' hardcover, however it was lacking "The Path of the Fury" & "Old Soldiers", the fliksong - heck any audiofiles - so it mainly contains everything Webber done till then plus a promo for the Honorverse starship battlesim.
Still it provieded me a few more books that I don't have to purchase. And it was convinent to lend out too.
--Rod.H (whoes still 3 paper books off the full Harrington experiance)
Quote:
If I buy it, am I just buying the right to read it now? i.e. If I want a hardcover or a paperback version of the book, I'd need to go out and buy another set when it comes out?

Yes, you are not purchasing a hard-copy, but a digital copy.
However, the ebooks arent encrypted, are available in several formats ( including html, rtf, and other)
Figure its about ten bucks cheaper than hardcovers nowadays.
Since I work and play at a computer I dont have any problem reading them from one.
For christmas, I even got my father an ebook reader with a hard-cover sized display thats both in-color, and backlit. reb1200, I think its called.
It cost me about 400$, but I bought a 20$ memory card for it and have so far fit about 50+ full novels on it and its just reaching 75% full. It even has a *ethernet* jack on it you can use to upload books to it.
They are a little more expensive now, but as much use as my family has gotten out of it, Id still consider it a worthwhile investment. I mean, how many paperbacks have search capability and adjustable font sizes?
And how many paperbacks can you fit over 100 of in your coat pocket?
This was the deciding argument for me. [Image: wink.gif] --
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of General Zod has been approved."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
How often do you need to fit 100 paperbacks in your pocket?

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
When going on a long trip that you don't expect to have touristy things to do while traveling or at the end, for one thing - not that you'd actually READ all hundred, but it would allow for having a wide choice of what to grab next. Hospital watches over an ailing relative would also apply - or just waiting in the doctors office, or for beaurocracy.
--
As a born speed reader, I probably WOULD get through all hundred. So this strikes me as a valuable resource.
--Sam
"The two strange men who just now tried to shoot us to death were eaten by a cow and that almost makes sense to me."
Yup. It's as much for choice as anything else. I'm usually in the middle of four or five different books, depending on my mood, and this lets me pick which one I want to read whenever. Like when I'm sitting down to lunch alone, or waiting on hold on the phone, etc, etc.
I also tend to use the book-creation software to adapt fanfics for such reading, so I can take them away from the net with me. [Image: smile.gif] --
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of General Zod has been approved."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:
As a born speed reader, I probably WOULD get through all hundred.
I'm one, too -- but as I manage the average novel in a day or two, at my best, 100 books would still last me a bit more than three months.
Hm. I'd more likely pack 100 references into that space, now that I think about it, and have almanacs, encyclopedias, dictionaries and thesauri instantly at hand. That I'd make use of. Quite a bit.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03