Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Authors who drop out of sight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone heard, well, -anything-, from Don Granberry in the last few months?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Mm. Now that you mention it, I don't think so. When I get home, I'll have to remember to check the FFML archives and see if he's posted there recently.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Or The Grum, for that matter. Last I heard of him, he was moving into a new apartment...-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]

HoagieOfDoom

How about Hallstrom? *********
There's no need to hear, I can shout you.
Quote:
Has anyone heard, well, -anything-, from Don Granberry in the last few months?
I checked the FFML archive -- he hasn't posted anything to the list in at least a year (which is as far as I went back). And Google Groups shows his last posting anywhere in UseNet was in 2001...

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Hm.
I've noticed he's been active on a few other ML's lately, but... has anyone heard if Ed Becerra is writing again?--
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of General Zod has been approved."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Ed has been helping write chapters of a Star Trek:TOS, Babylon 5 x-over on FF.net with AlbertG.
www.fanfiction.net/s/1944628/1/
Ah yes, A Thin Veneer. Majorly good. Earth-Minbari war period/right at the beginning of "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country ". B5's Earth is actually one of the duplicates created by the Preservers. A Minbari cruiser, chasing a fleeing human ship, get caught in a "hyperspace shortcut" that drops them in Federation territory on the other side of the galaxy near a Federation research colony, which they attack, thinking it belongs to the Earth they're familiar with. They then re-enter the "shortcut", unaware that they've just pissed off both the Federation and the Klingon Empire (who had representatives there). What follows is, well, you just have to read it. Minbari hubris, godlike aliens from the Federation side telling godlike aliens from the B5 side to stay out of things, people on all sides continuously underestimating the Federation and its technology... It's fun, and sad in ways, and exciting in others, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

-- Bob
---------
Yeah. He needs a copy-editor badly, but the writing in general is sound.
How are his other fics? This 'Armageddon Conflict' he mentions in several of them looks interesting, but I don't quite know where to start reading...--
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of General Zod has been approved."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

A117

Grum ... where is he?
Not a sound from him since Sat Dec 25 06:31:35 CST 2004 of the Ice Queen's Rebirth.
Really missed his fics ... Especially Rune Ranko and Finding An Anchor ...

The Wanderer

On Don Granberry: I have correspondence with him dating from June of 2002, I find one Usenet post from him (in adobe.photoshop.windows, but confirmed to be the same person by the matching E-mail address) dating from May 2003, and the "I picked it up as soon as I knew it existed" date on my local copy of Comes the Cold Dragon chapter 18b is January 2004. I haven't been able to find anything more recent than that, but Googling for him is a little unreliable because there's apparently also an actor (and, possibly, one or more of a researcher and a member of the news media) by the same name - not all of which can be him.
I'm going to try to contact his old E-mail address shortly, just to see if it bounces; we'll see what happens.
(And, on completely another topic, does anyone have the faintest clue why "Stay in topic" is not checked by default when replying to posts on EZBoard?)
Finally found my archive of the mailing list Don set up for his own stories when the FFML hiatus hit, and it looks like January of 04 is it.
The message with Cold Dragon 18c is dated 12/29/03, and Don's last post to the list 1/1/04.
After that the list just ... goes dead.
ETA: I have a message from Don dated 1/2/1970, that is a reply to commentary on CTCD 18c, but that is the last message from him.--
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Quote:
Grum ... where is he?
Not a sound from him since Sat Dec 25 06:31:35 CST 2004 of the Ice Queen's Rebirth.
His previous update having been around christmas '03, I think I see a pattern. Which is a damn shame, he's a fine writer of fanfiction.
(Want more Finding an Anchor, dammit).
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Quote:
Seconded.

-- Bob
---------
Foxboy has been playing City of Heroes, and should have something for a Dummy Plug Update within two weeks.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Quote:
His previous update having been around christmas '03, I think I see a pattern. Which is a damn shame, he's a fine writer of fanfiction.
Actually, I have access to his private site. His last post there said that he was moving, and that he should be available again (for e-mail purposes) around January of this year, and that he'd set up his private site again (at a different address) at that point. That hasn't happened.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]

A117

That's sad ... Grum isn't around any longer [Image: frown.gif] [Image: frown.gif] [Image: frown.gif]
But my biggest regret is Twister aka Darren Steffler ...
Where is he?
He disappeared off the net after writing TP5, TP10 and Puck.
With that, Twisted Path is gone forever ...... [Image: frown.gif] [Image: frown.gif] [Image: frown.gif] *sob*
Wait, what? The last I ever saw was Twisted Path 4, his crossover with Skyknight... where can I get these additions.
I do know that Skyknight said he had a disagreement with Twister over possible future crossovers though.--
"Just the idea of that bruised my very soul a little bit. So now when I die and go to whatever awaits, I'm going to have a big, purple mark on my arm. And I won't be able to stop touching it to see if it's stopped hurting. For all eternity."
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
Quote:
Wait, what? The last I ever saw was Twisted Path 4, his crossover with Skyknight... where can I get these additions.
I have copies of 5 & 10 but I could not find a copy of Puck (I don't remember ever seeing that one.)
I can put them up on my website for the weekend, as long as there will not be any copyright problems. Anyone know if Twister said anything about temporarily hosting the stories in the past?
Also, I have parts 1, 2, 3, 4 (chapters 1-4), 4 (chapter 5), 4 (chapter 6-Epilogue), 5, and 10 if anyone is interested in them. (They were the last versions I pulled, but they may not be the last he posted.)
Brian
Sitting on my site as well.
www.100megsfree4.com/drak...sover.html
speaking of Skyknight, anyone heard from Bert lately? He and Craig Reed were 2 chapters into a crossover between their insertions (Another writer, whose name escapes me, was involved) but I've not heard anything lately.
No Quarter, NO QUARTER! You damn well earned your fate.
Give Harrington our compliments; we're sorry you are late.
- No Quarter, Echoes Children
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

A117

Hello Bmull ...
Where is your website?
Last I heard, Bert had gotten eaten by City of Heroes.
His website has images and names of his alts in Paragon City.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Berk,
CoH ate Bert's soul in July of Last Year. We've gone 13 months without hearing anything from him, well on his webpage atleast. There are probably those people out there who talk to him on a regular basis.
Ed Dunkel
Edit: Spellcheck. Grr.My biggest fear in life is HoagieOfDoom finding a portal to the Tenchiverse.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
Quote:
Hello Bmull ...
Where is your website?
Sorry, A117, when I saw drakensis' site had the fics I wasn't sure that it was necessary.
Here is a direct link: www.inuko.org/fics/twisted%20path/ (the fics were originally on a Windows machine, sorry for the spaces.)
If you're interested just jump back one level and you'll see a bunch of junk. (It goes back years and much of it is very bad but I'm a packrat and keep everything; anyone want a copy of WinZip 6.2 from December 1996? I have it. )
Anyway, I'll keep the link live for a few days.
Brian
Quote:
speaking of Skyknight, anyone heard from Bert lately?
He's still posting to a fan ml I'm on, in fact, I just saw a message from him last night.
Quote:
He and Craig Reed were 2 chapters into a crossover between their insertions (Another writer, whose name escapes me, was involved) but I've not heard anything lately.
That was "Three Knights", written with Amanda Stair (author of "Bubblegum Crisis: The Next Generation" and its sequel).

-- Bob
---------
Pages: 1 2