Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A bit of writing advice.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so I'm looking for a bit of writing advice. And I figured I'd ask here, since what I'm writing is something of a crossover, and the half that
isn't Naruto is likely to draw a whole lot of blank looks in general fanfic forums.

First, this (may) be the start of the fic: (but nix the second chapter it no longer applies)

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3806066/1/Illusions_Gift

I posted a while ago as an anonymous plug because well... I'm not all that confident with my writing.

At first it was just something of a writing exercise, a bit of lovecraftian horror with Naruto. I was considering continuing in the vein, but realized that, a)
despite enjoying lovecraft, I'm never read it deeply enough to have a good grasp of the details, and b) I'd have absolutely no idea where to go with
it.

Then I had a second fic idea, and realized that... hey! the first chapter actually fits in with the idea pretty well with some minor finagling.

The idea is pretty much this: A Naruto/Shadowrun/Earthdawn crossover, with the Naruto world being the 8th world/age of magic.

I think it has a fair amount of potential, especially when you look at it from a funny angle. (Why there's obviously a seeming huge range of nationalities,
yet they all speak is japanese. The tech inconsistancies, and a bunch of other stuff.)

The thing is, I could still run with the same idea if I scrap what I've written and just start from the base Naruto universe.

So.. umm.. help?
I'd say go with it. The only question in my mind is, where are they on the cycle and if they have magic, why has UGE apparently not kicked in?

...Okay, that's two questions. [Image: smile.gif]

--Sam

"How the hell did I do that?"
The world's on the Magical upswing. _Near_ the start of UGE. Jutsu _is_ magic (If you squit at it funny, seals can be seen as a funny kind of spell
matrix), sort of. In a funny interpretation of Chakra, the 'physical' portion of Chakra is essence, while the 'spiritual' part of chakra is
mana as it filters through the astral plane. It's also why Jutsu are effective before UGE occurs. Also, just like at the beginning of earthdawn, at the
current age, magic's plateaued for a while, but now it's on its real upswing (as opposed to downswing in earthdawn).
UGE hasn't kicked in? Have you SEEN some of the whacked out Bloodlines later on?!?

[Image: happy.gif]
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Nah, those would be all the funny things that people did via genetic tinkering as entire nations started panicing as the Scourge got closer. Which is what most
bloodlines are. The sharingan and the byakugan are both for example, botched attempts at giving people innate astral sight. The Byakugan comes closer but is
still botched. It's also why the Uchiha are getting nuttier and nuttier as time goes on, every time they use it they light up like a beacon in astral and
as the magical cycle keeps marching on they attract nastier and bigger parasites.

The actual dorfs/elves/trolls haven't quite shown up yet. Though there might be some funny looking babies being born already.

Necratoid

Because of course, blue shark men with gills and pseudo cannibals with multiple personalities and flytraps jaw on their shoulders are normal. I'm only
passingly familiar with the non-Naruto aspects of this... but the abrupt species change thing could be why Mist went all 'Burn the Witch!!!' on their
bloodlined guys. It doesn't have to be the exact same races that pop up... A merman is a race just as good as an elf.