Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Working Title: Frontier 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is sort of a fic whose idea I floated on the Legendary channel a week or so ago, saying that I thought it was a bad idea and that I hoped that discussing
it would get my muse to shut up.

Instead, people said that they thought that a fic about dumping several different people in the place of the main characters of Macross Frontier had the
potential to be either or both awesome and hilarious.

You know who you are.

This is all your fault.

Waking up was a shock.

At first I was just warm and comfortable, with the sheets smooth against my skin and maybe a slight urge to visit the bathroom before going back to sleep.

Then I realized that there was too much skin exposed to those sheets, and that they were too smooth to me mine. That got me to wake up a little more -
just enough to notice that I felt wrong, too squashed on the chest and too light around the middle, and the blast of shocked adrenaline hitting my
system made me practically levitate out of my bed.

"Oh, god," I said. Atheist or not, there are some things that our society conditions us to say in times of shock. "What the fuck?!"

It wasn't my voice. It sounded nothing like my voice... and I was, I realized a moment after the fact, speaking Japanese. Much more fluently than I should
have been able to.

I like to think of myself as a calm, controlled sort of person. So when I say that I paniced then, it is with more than a touch of shame. I broke out into a
cold sweat, I glanced around frantically (pointless, that - the room was dark) I hyperventilated... at least I didn't scream, that would have been
hard to explain.

After a minute or so of desperate gasping, my lungs decided to register a protest at the heavy workload without prior notice. Each cough was painful, a raw
scraping lightning bolt that started somewhere around my heart and grounded out against my voicebox. It hurt, and it made my vision star and flash
with the amount of difficulty I had breathing through it.

Without thinking about it or conciously deciding to, I slapped on the light on the bedside table, grabbed the bottle revealed thereby, opened it with a
practiced twist of thumb and forefinger, shook out several of the pills inside it and swallowed one of them dry, then dug in to my self control to wait out the
coughing until the thing had taken effect.

Then, once I could do something other than try to stay concious, I asked myself, 'What the hell did I just take?'

I didn't expect to get an answer, even if just one in the form of a rush of memories, the connected associations of my mother (except that that wasn't
the woman who should have worn the title, in late middle age with silver shot liberally through her wavy black hair, but a somewhat younger one with short,
straight black hair and a pacific island cast to her face), of my doctor and manager, of the various bottles and pills and lab tests and...

I had, I realized, arrived in possession of my new body's memories as well as my original ones. That or I had retained my original memories in addition to
the ones created when I went completely INSANE without any warning or cause whatsoever, but being the star of an otakufic made marginally more sense,
especially since my name was Sheryl, rather than Nathan.

Sheryl. Sheryl Nome.

That meant... Macross Frontier. NUNS Capital, where I was now, immensely pretty like a single giant city park on a living world.

I was from... Macross Galaxy, dark and close and neon-lit all through, like something straight out of Blade Runner or William Gibson, with the flash and the
grit and the big men in the flashy suits with the 'candy' and the dead, hungry eyes while the passersby couldn't care to notice.

I knew the... Vajra, not just from the recent attacks and the recruiting vid 'I'd' done, but from eyes int he dark at the end of the
half-remembered time before the cold and the danger and the hunger.

I had... V-syndrome, the deadly disease whose attacks on my brain function were suppressed by the drugs that had such nasty consequences for my lungs ability
to draw oxygen that I had to take an entire OTHER drugs to keep that from killing me.

Eventually the rush of associations stopped, and I tried to consider my situation and what, if anything, I could and should do about it. The Vajra, that Leon
character... Ranka's (she didn't look nearly so much like a young boy in person) cute little pet from the Underwear Incident... I wouldn't call
myself a fan of the 'Great Man' theory of history, but the setup the show had implied and the things I knew about my own position implied that I was in
a position to act on events of significance...

Given how widespread the Vajra were, and their abilities and the increasing frequency of their attacks...

Thousands, even millions of lives might depend on my ability to make those decisions and actions the right ones.

The very thought scared the living shit out of me.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Nice. If I wasn't trying not to write anything but SASfny while the mojo is strong for it I'd be half tempted* to jump in and start another fusion
like Team 7: Substitute Shinobi or the HP insert someone wrote on Rorch's group.

* Okay, I am tempted, but I have to be strong!
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

WengFook

Its a good start I think Big Grin Could we get some behind the scenes information on this idea?
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
...argh. I know I set COH to chatlog that explanation, but now I can't find where it stashes the 'autosaved' logs.
(Speaking of which, has everybody just been going to be before I log on in the evening? I've been missing, like, everyone for the last couple of days...)
Anyway. The idea that had been bugging me was just the insert-into-Sheryl part, but when I mentioned it, the ensuing conversation ended up adding the idea of two other coauthors inserting into Ranka and Alto. Then someone, I think MatrixDragon, pointed out that the most interesting place to do the insertion was after the start of the series but just before the audience gets clued in about Grace... and that none of the 'characters' should have seen past that point.
Another angle that got considered was that perhaps a Real Girl should be dragged into 'Alto', just to make the gender-bending universal for the comedy value of that, but personally I think that there's at least as much milage in 'oh god i'm dating someone who's really a guy.'
It's been a bit too long since I saw that part of the series, so I'm waiting until I've reviewed to see who knew what when about what where and why before I write much more.
There is, at least so far, no explanation or information on how or why those three ended up where they are; that's not where I see the story focusing.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

WengFook

Quote: Valles wrote:

Anyway. The idea that had been bugging me was just the insert-into-Sheryl part, but when I mentioned it, the ensuing conversation ended up adding the idea of
two other coauthors inserting into Ranka and Alto. Then someone, I think MatrixDragon, pointed out that the most interesting place to do the
insertion was after the start of the series but just before the audience gets clued in about Grace... and that none of the 'characters' should have
seen past that point.

Another angle that got considered was that perhaps a Real Girl should be dragged into 'Alto', just to make the gender-bending universal for the
comedy value of that, but personally I think that there's at least as much milage in 'oh god i'm dating someone who's really a
guy.'

There is, at least so far, no explanation or information on how or why those three ended up where they are;

that's not where I see the story focusing.

Y'know. a real girl inserting into Alto is probably the only way to get more mileage from the whole Alto-Hime Kabuki joke that gets pulled in the series. A
guy pretty enough to get mistaken for a girl who is actually housing a girl insert, that probably doesn't mind getting teased about 'his' looks,
just strikes me as a neat twistback on the schtick. Big Grin

I really pity the person being inserted into Ranka, especially if said person wasn't a fan of the character. Perhaps this will result in
grumpy!bad-hair-dayRanka Tongue

So the whole idea basically is three people ,who may or may not know each other, get inserted into the Frontier and have to deal with Grace's machinations
:o A neat idea could possibly be that someone gets inserted to Grace but only has conrol over her half the time.... no wait. Doesn't Grace have one or two
spare bodies on standby? A so-called blank slate devoid of Grace's plans or intelligence appears on the scene, would probably throw all sorts of monkey
wrenches into her plan.

Hmm. On second thought that road may be a little too dummy plug-ish Tongue

Quote: Valles wrote:

Anyway. The idea that had been bugging me was just the insert-into-Sheryl part, but when I mentioned it, the ensuing conversation ended up adding the idea
of two other coauthors inserting into Ranka and Alto. Then someone, I think MatrixDragon, pointed out that the most interesting place to do the
insertion was after the start of the series but just before the audience gets clued in about Grace... and that none of the 'characters' should have
seen past that point.

Another angle that got considered was that perhaps a Real Girl should be dragged into 'Alto', just to make the gender-bending universal for the
comedy value of that, but personally I think that there's at least as much milage in 'oh god i'm dating someone who's really a
guy.'

There is, at least so far, no explanation or information on how or why those three ended up where they are;

that's not where I see the story focusing.

Y'know. a real girl inserting into Alto is probably the only way to get more mileage from the whole Alto-Hime Kabuki joke that gets pulled in the series.
A guy pretty enough to get mistaken for a girl who is actually housing a girl insert, that probably doesn't mind getting teased about 'his'
looks, just strikes me as a neat twistback on the schtick. Big Grin

I really pity the person being inserted into Ranka, especially if said person wasn't a fan of the character. Perhaps this will result in
grumpy!bad-hair-dayRanka Tongue

So the whole idea basically is three people ,who may or may not know each other, get inserted into the Frontier and have to deal with Grace's
machinations :o A neat idea could possibly be that someone gets inserted to Grace but only has conrol over her half the time.... no wait. Doesn't Grace
have one or two spare bodies on standby? A so-called blank slate devoid of Grace's plans or intelligence appears on the scene, would probably throw all
sorts of monkey wrenches into her plan.

Hmm. On second thought that road may be a little too dummy plug-ish Tongue
If I were caught up on Frontier, I might assay that, but I was thinking of someone inserting into a Joe Nobody who somehow starts dating one of
Klan's wing-girls.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll