Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Dr WHo fic recommendations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any good fics anyone wants to recommend? (Other than the 10 Doctors webcomic)

The Wanderer

I kind of liked http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3486089/1/T ... th_No_Name]The Man With No Name AKA http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3486070/1/A ... raordinary]A Life Less Extraordinary, a Firefly crossover, and the author seems to have written a few other Who fics which might be of comparable quality. (Yes, the author does seem to have posted word-for-word exactly the same fic under both names; why, I don't know. And yes, both fics were updated simultaneously one chapter at a time when it was being written.)

I could have sworn I'd run across at least one other good one, but nothing else is springing to mind right now.
It was posted that way because at the time, there was no 'crossover' function on FFNet, so the author posted it once under Doctor Who and once under Firefly.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

The Wanderer

...I seem to recall that I did think of that possibility, but that'd be a fairly strange reason, at the very least - given that to the best of my awareness not a single other crossover of the almost-certainly-thousands posted to FFnet before that feature was added got posted multiple times that way. So, my "I don't know why the author did that" still stands.

Plus, I seem to remember (maybe 70% certainty) that by the time Dr. Who had reached the point where the crossover picks it up, the FFnet "'crossover' function" already existed; it's possible I could be wrong about that.
You would indeed be wrong, the crossover function in FFNet's database is very new.

And the author has explicitly stated that that was why he did it, to make sure the story got exposed to both fandoms.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
www.tthfanfic.org/Story-18310/elisi+My+Immortal.htm
My Immortal is a complete Buffy/Torchwood x-over
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
Unfortunate title however, as it's shared with an infamously BAD Harry Potter fic.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

The Wanderer

...whether right or wrong about the other, I would certainly not have called it "very new"; it's been around close to a year now, at the very least, which IMO is far too long to describe that way.

And as I meant but perhaps did not say: even with the author's explicit statement that that's why he did it, I still don't know why the author did it, or rather why the author felt it necessary to do it. I understand the rationale for trying to make it findable by both fandoms, and I can even see where it would make sense, but it's still both a strange step to take and AFAICT a previously unprecedented one. That is not to condemn or attack the approach, just to say that even with the rationale given, in the larger context it seems like an odd decision.

That said, I intend to drop the subject, as it's rather offtopic for this thread. (I apologize if this seems rude, but I know myself well enough to be aware that if I don't draw a line with this kind of statement, I am unlikely to be able to restrain myself from continuing to argue even when no good purpose is served by it.)
Well, then, a rec:

Tailkinker's Doctor vs Doctor
5Doc, Nyssa, and Tegan visit New Jersey. Since Tegan is sick, they take her to Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.