Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Unusual takes on common stories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Wanderer

There are, as you're probably aware, quite a number of "Harry in Azkaban" fics. A sizable number of them - probably the majority - are of the subgenre "Harry gets betrayed by his friends and/or allies and sentenced to Azkaban" fics; no few of them involve Harry acquiring, awakening or otherwise receiving some form of power there (whether political, magical, or both), generally either by discovering a secret of the island or outright inheriting the place.

A couple of nights ago, those general scenarios rearranged themselves in my head into a new configuration, and now I'm wondering if anyone has ever done a fic in which Harry's friends and/or allies learn of the existence of such a power and conspire (probably with his knowledge) to get him sent to Azkaban, specifically so that he can pick it up.

Have any of you run across such a fic?

Also, since I'd rather not start a thread just for one question like that, does anyone have any other similarly offbeat takes on standard fanfic storylines? I think I may have a couple more in the background of my mind somewhere, but I'd have to do some work to dig them up.

(Of course, quite a few Halloween fics got their start as an attempt at just such an unusual twist on a standard storyline, to the point that I'm not sure there are any ideas left in that genre which are original enough not to seem like just a version of something that's already been done and are also still worth reading.)
What would happen if Shinji acted like Gendo did before he met Yui?

Also, I have to say, I've never quite gotten those Azkaban fics. If there's some superpower waiting there, why haven't any of the inmates, or at least Sirius, gained it? I'd like to see a fic where the Death Eaters that are freed from Azkaban also have whatever power Harry is given.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
I've never seen that version, though I'm quite familiar with the original version of the plot.
As for 'offbeat takes', consider inverting that one.  Harry goes to Azkaban, and discovers a power there, waiting for him to claim it... and promptly does everything in his ability to run far, FAR away from it.  Possibly a Lovecraft crossover.
I'd also like to see a Naruto fic where Naruto spends much of his childhood being catered to obsequiously by the villagers of Konoha- not because they knew his parentage, or respected him for holding back the fox, but because they all believed he was possessed by it, and were scared witless by the thought of it thinking badly of them.  Sort of an inversion of the popular 'villagers are constantly disrespecting/attacking Naruto' cliche.
I have a few other ideas, but none of them are coming to mind right now.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

The Wanderer

I have the impression that in a lot of the Azkaban fics, the 'power' is something only Harry could have picked up, whether because of his line of descent or because of his connection to Voldemort (and the magics associated with that, including his mother's protections) or because of his unique magical status - which can range from "unusually powerful in some way" to "divinely chosen by magic itself", through a lot of variations on the way. And in a few cases I believe he simply made friends with the Dementors, which is mind-boggling enough (and implausible enough) on its own.

The Naruto idea is a nice one.
Through a magical accident, 11-year-old Harry Potter accidentally sends his soul forward in time to occupy his 17-year-old body on the day he faces Voldemort... (Tentative title: Well, That Was Fast...)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
albus fails to get to the trial in time and harry gets sent to the deepest, darkest hole in azkaban where, oddly enough, even dementors rarely go (it's so far out of the way)... and finds, among the random detritus of past prisoners, a blackened roman coin.... demonic hilarity ensues
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Harry gets tossed in Azkaban as a traitor, whilst his unexpected ally Voldemorte struggles to build his power base to the point where he can challenge Dumbledore, who sits behind his desk in the headmaster's office, and smiles, and smiles, staring over his steepled hands..
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
A twenty-something Harry Potter sends his memories and personalities back in time to take over his 11-year-old self in order to ally with Voldemort... because something worse is coming just after the turn of the century -- and to avert it is going to need the combined might of Harry, Voldemort... and Dumbledore.
-- Bob
---------

WengFook

Voldemort sends his soul... or what remains of it after horcrux deductions, back in time to the night he attempted to kill Harry instead raising him as his own son.
Voldemort sends his soul back to posess Harry Potter... to become the saviour of the wizarding world and rule it from within the perfect disguise.
Zojojojo Wrote:albus fails to get to the trial in time and harry gets sent to the deepest, darkest hole in azkaban where, oddly enough, even dementors rarely go (it's so far out of the way)... and finds, among the random detritus of past prisoners, a blackened roman coin.... demonic hilarity ensues
I believe there already is a Denarian Harry series

Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
With Voldemort dead the Wizengamot enacts a Marriage Law... forcing pureblooded heirs to marry half-blood or muggleborn wizards and witches in an attempt to break up the 'dark' power bloc within wizarding society.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Quote:I believe there already is a Denarian Harry series

yes, but that harry more-or-less knew what he was getting into, and was much younger... this harry is older and doesn't know...

and how about:

harry tries to send his memory/soul/magic back in time to stop the $really_bad_outcome and .... lands in hedwig. how is an owl supposed to guide a young wizard into making the right choices?
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Harry sends his soul back in time and lands in...Vernon Dursley!?!?
Zojojojo Wrote:and how about:

harry tries to send his memory/soul/magic back in time to stop the $really_bad_outcome and .... lands in hedwig. how is an owl supposed to guide a young wizard into making the right choices?
Hey, an owl that can pass the OWLs would be a pretty good ally, especially considering he can "deliver" any book from the Library to young!Harry.

Now if it was Ron who went back in time and ended up in Hedwig, or young!Harry, or Voldemort, or Draco, or...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
There's a thought.

Harry sends his soul back in time.

And ends up at Madam Malkin's, when he's getting fitted for his school robes.

As Draco Malfoy.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
You're all missing the boat, here.. Harry manages, as a last-ditch effort, to send his soul and his knowledge back, and ends up inhabiting the one person who had anywhere near the same experience with Voldemorte as he.. Harry Potter ends up sharing the skull of..

Severus Snape
Well we all know who's always owed Harry a favor right? Including one where you'd have to give up your body. Harry goes to sleep as a man, wakes up as a rat.
Harry sends his soul back in time, and ends up in the sorting hat, just as Harry walks into the Great Hall for the first time.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Don't you see how obvious it is?

Harry sends himself back to be reborn.

Finds himself growing up and attending Hogwarts in the 1870's or so.

Under the name of "Albus Dumbledore".
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
How about something a tiny bit different? I may have mentioned this before...

You know all those stories where Dumbledore is this master manipulator, who apparently planned for Harry to be abused at the Dursley, planned for him to face Quirrel in 1, planned for him to kill the Basilisk in 2, etc. as part of his Sinister Master Plan For The Greater Good (tm)?

What if someone (Hermione maybe, or even better, Ron) starts to put the pieces together and comes up with the realization of Dumbledore being No Good (tm) and starts to convince others. So a movement among the OotP begins to try and break Harry free from Dumbledore's sinister plots....

But there aren't any. Dumbledore is exactly what he seems to be. He honestly thought the Dursleys would do right by Harry. He honestly thought the traps for the Stone would be good enough. He never knew about the Basilisk.

Now that misunderstanding would make for a good story, IMO.
Jpub wins the comedy of errors award. Classic.

Hm.

What if Harry Potter was arrested, tried, and sentenced to life in Azkaban...

...for a crime he actually did commit.

And then the rest of the story is all him in a cell, going slowly insane. He spends the rest of the war against Voldemort in prison. Because, y'know, the inevitable escape is what you expect. But you don't need that for drama. Even in a prison cell, from Harry's perspective, a story would be able to progress. Visions from his link with Voldemort. Rare visits from his friends or Ministry officials. Occasional issues of the Daily Prophet...

No, my idea isn't funny. None of my Harry Potter fic ideas ever are.

Why are you looking at me like that?
-- Acyl
<3

Herr Bad Moon

jpub Wrote:How about something a tiny bit different? I may have mentioned this before...

You know all those stories where Dumbledore is this master manipulator, who apparently planned for Harry to be abused at the Dursley, planned for him to face Quirrel in 1, planned for him to kill the Basilisk in 2, etc. as part of his Sinister Master Plan For The Greater Good (tm)?

What if someone (Hermione maybe, or even better, Ron) starts to put the pieces together and comes up with the realization of Dumbledore being No Good (tm) and starts to convince others. So a movement among the OotP begins to try and break Harry free from Dumbledore's sinister plots....

But there aren't any. Dumbledore is exactly what he seems to be. He honestly thought the Dursleys would do right by Harry. He honestly thought the traps for the Stone would be good enough. He never knew about the Basilisk.

Now that misunderstanding would make for a good story, IMO.

I love this idea so bad I want to make babies with it. I'm really getting sick of the whole "Dumbledore TEH EBIL micromanager" of Harry's life schtick.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Go on, then, deconstruct it.
-- Bob
---------
Pages: 1 2 3 4