Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [Naruto][RFC] Considering Writing A Sequel To An Old Fanfic And Need Some Advice...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, several years ago I wrote a Naruto fanfic called One Hundred Days, which some of you might remember vaguely.  Or maybe not!
After several years of burnout, I'm considering trying to get my writing juices flowing again by working on the long-promised sequel to that story.  A few problems presented themselves, most importantly:
1) Canon has gone down strange and unexpected paths since I wrote the original story, and it would be nigh-impossible to match up as a divergence from the canon plot even if I was inclined to.  Which I'm not, because I'm not overly fond of most of post-timeskip Naruto.
2) One Hundred Days was kind of a large and complex story.  It's not fair to expect people to remember it well three years later, and I don't want to force old readers to reread it or new readers to go through it before (hopefully) enjoying my new work.
So, I decided the obvious solution was to summarize One Hundred Days at the start of my new story for the edutainment of my theoretical audience.  However, due to largeness and complexity, I failed.  Then I decided to throw out any pretense of completeness or seriousness.  But I'm far too close to the source material to tell whether the result actually works as a summary.  That's where you come in!  I would appreciate any comments on whether the below works as a summary and entices you to read the sequel that might follow, or whether it falls flat and turns you off.   I'm interested in the opinions of both anyone who might remember One Hundred Days, and those who never read it.
So, if you made it this far, thanks for listening to me blather, thanks in advance for your help, and here we go:

What Has Gone Before, Or 368,971 Words In Four Big Paragraphs, Or More Spoilers Than You Care About
    Naruto: Goes on his training trip with Jiraiya.  Learns earth element ninjutsu from one of the Jiraiya's friends, Iwakuro Hojo the soon-to-be Thirteenth Tsuchikage, violating future canon in multiple independent ways.  Has numerous misadventures, including a fun bit of business with a slaver pirate missing ninja which Jiraiya decides to base his next book on, since it involves cross-dressing, a vengeance-driven kunoichi killing her evil S-class missing ninja relative (making Sasuke jealous when he finds out), snow maidens, and the fate of nations.  Discovers that the seal is weakening.  After further misadventures, rescues Kakashi from the Cloud Village (oh yeah, Kakshi gets captured by the Cloud!) through a sequence of events that ends up with the Raikage dead and the High Priestess of the Thunder Dragon (the second most powerful person in the village, and another friend of Jiraiya's) revealed as a member of Akatsuki and dead.  Then he gets captured by Orochimaru.  Oops.
    Sakura: Fights with her mom and moves into Naruto's apartment.  Gets trained by Anko.  Teams up with Ino and Chouji to go to the Chuunin Exams.  Finds out that she is related to the Haruno Clan of the Mist Village, which is persecuted for almost having a Bloodline Limit.  This makes her psycho cousin from the Mist pissed at her, for really deep and complex reasons.  Gets trained by Anko some more and learns to summon snakes, pissing off Tsunade.  Becomes a chuunin, then finally gets accepted as Tsunade's apprentice, making Tenten jealous.  Finds out that her mom was a spy for the Mist and kills her, making Sasuke super-jealous when he finds out (Sakura is less thrilled).  Goes to rescue Naruto and succeeds (possibly some other people help).  Yay!  Then the two of them fight Sasuke to a draw.  Yay!  Then Kabuto shows up while totally not running in fear from Shizune and drags him off.  Boo!
    The World: Skips merrily over the brink of war as the Mist, learning nothing from the example of the Sand, team up with the Sound to take on the Leaf via a sneak attack.  This time they wait until after the Chuunin Exams, which makes the plot arc totally different.  The Rain switch sides and join in the fun, curbstomping the Grass (who  totally exist and are allies of the Leaf in canon).  Then the Rock show up and curbstomp the Rain, but it's okay because Jiraiya called in a favor from the new Tsuchikage, so they're here to fight the Sound.  Orochimaru turns a peace conference into a battle and pins the blame on Tsunade, because that's one of the ways he gets his jollies.  Jiraiya kills the Mizukage, who wasn't important enough in the story to have a name.  Sorry, guy who can't exist in canon because you aren't a jinchuuriki or female!  Tsunade almost kills Orochimaru, but the slippery son of a very classy lady gets away.  But he's probably pissed when he gets back home and finds out Sakura (and maybe other people) have rescued Naruto, defeated his new Sound Five who haven't been mentioned yet but included Sakura's psycho cousin, and left a whole metric ton of Rock ninja all over the Rice Field Country.  Actually, Tsunade might be a little irritated about that last bit too when she finds out.
    Canon: Mysteriously goes missing after the conclusion of the Rice Field Country filler arc of the anime.  (It may be hanging out with those Matrix sequels that never got made.)  Random characters and ideas may have survived this mysterious mystery, but may not have been left unchanged by the harrowing ordeal.  So don't be suprised when it turns out that Tobi isn't Madara, but is actually Kakashi's long-lost twin sister, Jiraiya's spy in Akatsuki, and also Tuxedo Kamen.  (Ps.  As part of the Kyuubi's contract, upon mentioning Madara I am legally required to note that the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox is a uncontrollable creature of all-consuming rage, and that it would find the idea that some puny human with fancy eyes could order it around offensive if it wasn't so hilarious.)  (Pps.  Naruto is Sailor Moon, duh.)  In other words, consider this story officially an AU, and One Hundred Days retroactively one also.  I promise fewer generic Chosen One prophecies and plots to take over the world with magical moons than the leading competitor.

Aaron Nowack

Sirrocco

It's cool. I find myself enticed. Mind you, I find myself enticed because somewhere in the back of my head there's a tag on the One Hundred Days fic reading "Wow. That one was cool."

Mind you, I'm one of those people who's reasonably likely to actually go back and read it again, if you really are putting out a sequel.

Necratoid

Okay, I do remember One Hundred Days, kinda sorta.  So I did get something out of the recap.  The thing the recap is missing is context... I'd like to see it framed in a way that its a (OHDs) internal canon recap or with hosts or something.  More sensibly the first type.  If you could phrase it as either a mission briefing for some involved character being brought up to speed or something like that it would work better for me.  I'll probably end up rereading it now anyway.  The current formatt is a whimsical info dump... which fails to meantion the reason it was called OHDs... the whole Sakura and Naruto remeet after a hundred days of training or something like that.
Sirrocco Wrote:It's cool. I find myself enticed. Mind you, I find myself enticed because somewhere in the back of my head there's a tag on the One Hundred Days fic reading "Wow. That one was cool."

Mind you, I'm one of those people who's reasonably likely to actually go back and read it again, if you really are putting out a sequel.
Heh.  I'm glad someone else remembers the story fondly!
Necratoid Wrote:Okay,
I do remember One Hundred Days, kinda sorta.  So I did get something
out of the recap.  The thing the recap is missing is context... I'd like
to see it framed in a way that its a (OHDs) internal canon recap or
with hosts or something.  More sensibly the first type.  If you could
phrase it as either a mission briefing for some involved character being
brought up to speed or something like that it would work better for
me.  I'll probably end up rereading it now anyway.  The current formatt
is a whimsical info dump... which fails to meantion the reason it was
called OHDs... the whole Sakura and Naruto remeet after a hundred days
of training or something like that.
I tried a couple times to get an "in character" recap written, but I just couldn't make it work.  At least with my skills as rusty as they are, it wasn't interesting to write or read, and there were a lot of problems trying to frame it correctly - there wasn't any single character (or character group) that didn't know and needed to know everything I wanted to be sure the reader knew.  So I started outlining, and started having one scene of Jiraiya and Tsunade talking, and then Akatsuki discussing, and then Orochimaru and Kabuto, and probably Naruto and some of the other Leaf characters... Pretty soon I was looking at a whole lot of recap to get through before the actual story could start.  Once I started trying to come up with other stuff to keep the scenes from just being a bunch of talking heads, it started looking more like a whole chapter.  Since the sequel starts close to a year after OHD finished, this all wound up having to be in a prologue almost totally disconnected from the actual story... and I figured that if even the author was finding it boring, there wasn't any way I was going to be able to make it interesting to the reader.
I don't know, maybe I'll give it another shot, because if I can pull it off it would be better than this.  (And thanks for pointing out the lack of mention of the meaning of the title, which I should definitely work into there somewhere.)

Aaron Nowack
If you wanted to have an In Character recap you could work it in relatively easily. Have Tsunade breifing somebody on Sakura and Naruto's activities over the last little while, possibly Yamato if you want to bring him into the story for some reason. It would still be an exposition dump, but you could mark it as such and it tends to work better than just a straight expo-dump at the front of the fanfic.
-------------
Epsilon

Sirrocco

Possibly *let* it be somewhat separated in time.  Write a prelude where Tsunade gives a briefing to some random side character (deliberately/explicitly not identified at the time) who wasn't otherwise involved, as part of giving him/her a long-term assignment that involves them doing stuff quietly for a while.  At some point after the story kicks into full gear, this character shows up again, having just finished a year's worth of plot-relevant prep work.  Let you get in your exposition and set up a heck of a Chekov's gunman at the same time.
Sirrocco Wrote:Possibly *let* it be somewhat separated in time.  Write a prelude where Tsunade gives a briefing to some random side character (deliberately/explicitly not identified at the time) who wasn't otherwise involved, as part of giving him/her a long-term assignment that involves them doing stuff quietly for a while.  At some point after the story kicks into full gear, this character shows up again, having just finished a year's worth of plot-relevant prep work.  Let you get in your exposition and set up a heck of a Chekov's gunman at the same time.
Hmm.  That indirectly gave me a piece of inspiration for a character I wasn't sure what to do with, so thanks.  Smile
I'm currently a thousand words into attempt three at an in-character recap/prologue, and I'm running into the problem that making the conversation flow naturally is making it hard to get plot points across in enough detail and in a chronological enough order to do its job as a recap.  I guess it is stretching my writing muscles, at least.

Aaron Nowack
Maybe have an involved third party be briefing its own members on the new figures involved. Say, Root, or the like.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Have you thought of doing both that, as well as a longer version recap? In-character recap aside, to give  more context ,etc, considering you 'only' have 18 chapters (as opposed to some silly people that have 11 billionty) , maybe in a chapter by chapter synopsis format?

Sirrocco

Other thing being that you don't have to recap absolutely everything in the IC recap/prologue.  Consider - your target audience here isn't new readers all that much... they really ought to be reading One Hundred Days from the start anyway.  "Forcing" isn't a question here, as far as new readers go.  One Hundred Days is *good*, and it's not a huge amount to ask that they read the stories in order.  You just need enough to jog the memories of  people who read the story long ago.  You need enough that stuff in the sequel basically makes sense, but you don't need to explain everything, and there are some bits of background that can be explained in the moment (for example, if you want to bring up Lee's issues with alcohol, that's the sort of thing that fits in very easily to either a conversation between Lee and some other character, or a conversation between two other characters as the go to talk with Lee).  Of course, I don't know what you're planning with this story (and thus, what the necessary recap really is).  It's possible that you've done this filtering already.

On the gripping hand, if this is helping you stretch your writing muscles, so that you're more in the groove of things when you actually sit down to write, that's all to the good.

Necratoid

If its frustrating you this much skip it for now.  Do two or three chapters and then see what you think you need to write into a recap that isn't covered in story.  You only really need to do two or three paragraphs of the basics in recap and then the rest will come out in the course of things... or the reader will just go read OHDs.  OHDs is written in full and will be the kind of thing new readers will read waiting for your next part.  If they keep complaining they don't get references to the past, particularly if they think this is a direct canon thing after reading its a sequel, they are trolls or dumb enough its not worth writing down to their level.  Just include that its a sequel and to what in the disclaimers.
Another method is the chunky style recap.  Do the recap it little bits of each chapter.    So, a paragraph or two at the begining or end of the chapter the references past actions in OHDs.  Maybe its intelligence blurbs from whatever force Narutro is fighting this chapter.  Maybe its a blurb from a group that notices Naruto and is now crazy paranoid.  Naruto tends to get involved in things that over throw countries on a ditressingly regular basis... and he acts like the Naruto is Ero-Senin's first book.
You can also have people asking Naruto if such and such an event actually happened or not.  Naruto giving short exposition on what did happen.  Minus a lot of detail.  This is Naruto your talking about (including the movies for examples) Naruto's first C-class mission over threw a country and involved an A-class missing nin and minion.  He helped overthrow a countries revolve and made a movie with the footage.  He killed a soul eating, cosmic horror so hard it caused a volcanic erupton.  Add in the Sanin contections, toad summoning contract, and the Sea of Orange Doom things and Naruto's life is bordering on mythic.
Thanks to everyone for you assistance on this. I think I'm over the conceptual hump on this, and the writing is flowing more easily as I proceed. I'm still a little worried that I've got too many talking heads and not enough attention-grabbing hooks in what I've got, but we'll see what it looks like when I'm done.

Of course, on the other hand, my plans for shorter, more frequent chapters is not off to a good start, since what was supposed to be a quick recap is currently comfortably over 3000 words, less than halfway done, and outlined to contain a substantial plot development.

Aaron Nowack
Well, I've finished the prelude (final length of roughly 8000 words, proving once again my total inability to be brief) and posted it to the FFML, and am now working on the first chapter.
It feels good to be writing again; hopefully I won't regret starting up again once I get (or not get) reactions to my output.  Smile

Aaron Nowack
In case anyone here is interested, I have also posted the draft of the first chapter over on The Fanfiction Forum in search of feedback.

Aaron Nowack
I thought it worked well. Just enough changes of viewpoint to keep it from being boring "wall of exposition".
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.