Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Cat Tales
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes, yes - I know I'm way late to something that you all are very familiar with. I just got started. But just thought I'd mention that -

a) I'm very much enjoying this so far and -

b) The following bit:
Quote:Catwoman returned from her evening prowl, pulled off her mask, left the terrace doors open, and walked to the kitchen. She took a chilled bottle from the refrigerator and returned to the living room.

“I just noticed something–”

She gasped.

Did he always have to sneak up like that!

She held up a finger that warned “Don’t say a single word” and walked deliberately up to him until the finger touched his lips. She took his hand in hers, and walked him to the doorframe, formed the hand into a fist and methodically wrapped the gloved knuckles into the wood.

“This,” she said, “is called KNOCKING.”
Almost literally knocked me out of my chair gasping for breath laughing. Big Grin
If you've just started, you probably still have several hours of such scenes ahead of you. It's not just Cat and Bat, but the vilians and assorted sidekicks all have their shining moments as well.

Your post prompted me to go check, and the first chapter of the newest story, "Comedy of Errors" is up on her website. It's not up on ff.net yet as I write this.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
Yeah - like this one:

Quote:By the time they reached the club, Daniel the
accommodating (and terrified) doorman practically ushered them in.  There was
Two-Face, scarred side of his mouth gushing blood, arms wrapped around Joker’s
shoulder, ramming the dazed clown into the wall head first.  Joker clutched a broken bottle and tried to stab his
assailant in the thigh while Harley Quinn jumped on his back yelling “Put my
Puddin’ down!”

While Nightwing watched the scene in wonder,
trying to decide how (and when) to intervene, Robin nudged him and pointed. 
At a side table, Scarecrow sat before an impressive stack of cash with Hugo
Strange, Killer Croc, and some nameless nogoodniks huddled round.

Nightwing walked over to their table, neatly
sidestepping the scuffle as Ivy pulled Harley off Two-Face and Harley spun
around and slapped her.

‘Wing held out a
$50 bill and asked, “What’re the odds on Harley?”

Scarecrow looked up
at him suspiciously, “You want to place a bet?”

“What, my
money’s no good here?” Nightwing snarled.

Scarecrow looked at Hugo Strange, who shrugged.  Scarecrow took the bill and muttered “3 to 1 on Blondie.” There was a slight
murmur of approval from the assembled rogues at this unexpectedly matey behavior
from the vigilantes.
*SNORK*
Quote:It was at the end of Day Four when Alfred
entered the study to collect the untouched lunchtray and stone cold cup of
tea, that he found Selina staring, not at the computer screen but out the
window, with a cold, hollow glare.
“Where is he, Alfred? Where is he right
now?”

Alfred didn’t know Selina had a “Catwoman
voice” the same way Master Bruce assumed a deep growl when thinking as Batman,
and the revelation gave him a chill. Nevertheless, he answered with the same
butler’s detachment he would assume with Master Bruce:

“Downstairs, Miss,” he said, meaning the
cave. “He returned a few minutes ago.”

Selina stormed out in the direction of the
grandfather clock. Alfred glanced at the laptop screen and saw a scanned memo on
LexCorp letterhead with a brief hand-written postscript:

Beloved,
why must we still be at odds since I’ve abandoned my father? This opposition
is as needless as it is futile. 

o.o;;  (tiny voice) oh shit...
-Logan
--------------------
(now why didn't I see that one coming?)
--------------------

SCM Writer of 2814

When it gets to the equivalent of the unholy mess that is the Crisis stuff, it gets... a bit bashy. Ra's goes through a little derailment from his initial portrayal. Still fun overall, though.
--------------------------------------
I am the LORD OF THE CRACK!
Check out said crack:
Takamachi Nanoha of 2814- Green Lantern Nanoha. To START! Now with a TvTropes page!
FATE/Holy Grail War of 2814- The Fifth Holy Grail War with Magical Girl Prisma Illya, in the DCAU, from the above story.
Magical Girl Magistra Erebea Molly- the world's first Dresden Files/TvTropes Crossover.
VENGEANCE! The Musical! The Story of Uchiha Sasuke
Chris Dee is NOT afraid to "discontinuity" at will, much like I will not acknowledge "Countdown/Final Crisis" events for the Shazam!/Marvel Family.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Well, the whole thing started off as a one-shot of Selina going up on stage to publicly "discontinuity" the portrayal of and events surrounding her character over the previous few years in the comics. (Referred to in-story as the Gotham Post.) Then it was extended for a few chapters with other people in Gotham and the wider DC universe going to the show and reacting to it. Then it ended up with the Bat-Cat relationship actually moving forward a step or two, and just kept going.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
Precisely. It also has serves as Dee's voice for his editorial commentary on the writers/artists' visions of characters in the DCU. He seems particularly outspoken about Frank Miller (small wonder, that). Selina's not the only one he's editorialized about; there's a story arc further along that has Edward Nigma railing against several of the newer character designs that have cropped up, in particular in "The Bat-Man" and other cartoons. Being a fan of the green suit and derby combo myself (although Frank Gorshin's question-marked leotard does have a certain nostalgic appeal), I understand entirely. The "goggle-bitch" commentary seems a bit fierce, however. The newer costume feels more like a professional thief's than the old purple one, to me. Although, since it is ostensibly linked to Miller's portrayal of Selina as an ex-prostitute (Say it with me now: "Whoreswhoreswhores"), I can understand why Dee gets twisted up about it.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

SCM Writer of 2814

'She', actually. She calls herself 'mater mine' of the Cat Tales-verse.
--------------------------------------
I am the LORD OF THE CRACK!
Check out said crack:
Takamachi Nanoha of 2814- Green Lantern Nanoha. To START! Now with a TvTropes page!
FATE/Holy Grail War of 2814- The Fifth Holy Grail War with Magical Girl Prisma Illya, in the DCAU, from the above story.
Magical Girl Magistra Erebea Molly- the world's first Dresden Files/TvTropes Crossover.
VENGEANCE! The Musical! The Story of Uchiha Sasuke