Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Fic search: Harry says "Blow this for a game of soldiers!"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First, I have a link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4771879/]A Squib Worth - four medium-short chapters of a fic where Harry never enters the Wizarding World at all, and ends up the better for it.

Basically, this is the sort of thing I'm looking for, where either the way Harry was raised, squibness, or a sudden attack of common sense at some point in the series (probably needing to be either very early or rather later, before he's formed close ties or after he's had time to get disillusioned) leads to Harry leaving or trying to leave the wizards and their backwards society behind. I haven't seen that many, aside from the rash of "rebellious superHarry is fed up after Sirius's death" stuff (for most of which "rash" is usually the perfect descriptor as they are unsightly and irritating, and sometimes painful) but there's got to be some quality material out there, right? "Old Soldiers" for one, even if it's not so much "forget the wizarding world" as "update your fighting methods to only 70 years out of date." It doesn't necessarily have to be "Harry runs away and joins the army" or anything, that expression just fits the sentiment well.

So, any suggestions?

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Ah - Potter, not Dresden. Sorry, can't help...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I'm not opposed to good Dresden fic either, but it has to be written to be accessible without canon knowledge. Fire away if ya got some.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Alas, nothing that's both good and non-spoilery - sorry.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Spoilery is not a problem, not understanding what the hFil is going on because I've never read the books would be a problem. If the first coincides with quality, I'm all for it. - CD
--