Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Kindelization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

CattyNebulart

Quote: K sai wrote:I understand why the author left FFN, but it's such a pain not being able to easily Kindleize the new chapters.

Depending on what the problem is, you might look into a program called Calibre. It seems to be able to convert just about anything into a suitable format for just about anything, including things that I hadn't been able to find any good way to handle on my tablet before.

-Morgan.

I don't have a kindle so I don't know what it can handle but if you explain the target format to me I am sure I can come up with some converter for text to that format.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

GreggHL

Kindle uses the .mobi format.  Fanfiction downloaders (such as the one connected to Google) can convert to several different formats, but since they're all linked to ff.net, it makes things...difficult otherwise.

MobileRead Wiki - MOBI

That should have more info.

-Gregg

K sai

I use kindle, Caliber and a program called FanFictionDownloader - It automatically grabs and converts FFNet and FPNet stories to ebook formats (as well as a number of other fanfic sites - ficwad, etc.) and pushes it to kindle using Caliber. It needs Caliber to work, but since I was already using that, it wasn't a issue.

But now, rather than just plugging in the story url and getting a file ready to go - I have to download new HTML chapters from the author's site and manually convert them (with Caliber) - which isn't reliable, and it gets hard to merge new chapters into the existing file. That's why I'm so sad the author moved off FFNet - I've lost my easy access to conversions. Smile

That said, it isn't a serious issue - more of a T_T. Sorry if I worried anyone.

Let me second K sai's recommendations; I use exactly the same combination of tools and get splendid results every time. FFD, in fact, is constantly expanding the list of sites that it explicitly knows how to handle, so you don't have to worry about being shackled to FF.net.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.