Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: (Honorverse) Not fanfic, but nifty
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've finally got around to reading At All Costs, and noticed one of the Star Knight class battlecruisers (the hottest new thing ca book 2 or 3 but dreadfully outdated 'now') is named "Star Ranger." Coincidence, or is our SR frequent enough to the Baen forums to be a fandom nod, I wonder?

edit: slag it, how do I get a two word tag without them running together or being split into two tags?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

RomanFanboy

I don't remember anysuch, but a pub date in (checks) 2005 might well have been to a fan before my time, or outside of the Bar. I also don't know the BuShips/Honorverse crowd as well as others, because that is not a part of the bar that I have followed as heavily.

Thinking back to Rogers, and other uses of Rangers in North American history, I think that how they were used might well be close to the RMN's thinking about how they might use the Space Knights. Ranging between the stars, traveling in low numbers over wide areas between settlements, and fighting those outside of the law sounds an awful lot like traditional SKM practice for counter-piracy to me. I have trouble thinking of a more appropriate usage for 'Star Ranger'.
Coincidence. I dont hang in the Bar that much, and hadn't even found it in 2005. I think Roman has the right of it.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
related only in being from the same setting - Damn, but I really like Victor Cachat. He's like a sentient sword from a legand who just happens to be shaped like a man... put it this way, I'd love to rule 34 his rule 63, or just shake the man's hand. He's admirably direct and moral but applies those traits to the pursuit of tricky ends that would be the envy of Raven or Kangaroo or Br'er Rabbit. He'd immediately understand "To wield Infinite Edge, you must grasp Infinite Edge," and use it any time.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows