Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: What Would A Fic With This Title Be About?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
The Djinni series were a set of non-system-specific Cyberpunk/Shadowrun/d20 Modern/etc. adventures, though
   I suddenly want to write this, very much.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
the party uncovers and hopefully foils an assassination plot against her dad by an ambitious rival, and Djinni has discovered the the life of actual edgerunners is quite a bit more painful anf frightening than the holovids make it out to be. I haven't played Djinni's Vow yet (we just finished pt. 2) but the GM says it should be great.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:The Djinni series were a set of non-system-specific Cyberpunk/Shadowrun/d20 Modern/etc. adventures, though
DO IT! DO IT!

My Love is Like a Klein Bottle
A Dream of Fight
Sock Hop Switcheroo

--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Quote:robkelk wrote:
First Day on the Hose Job
First Day on the Hose Job?  That's the story of a rookie firefighter, who joins up just in time for some lunatic to go on an arson spree, in the middle of a summer heatwave/drought.
(no ideas for titles, sorry)
Work them into the IST draft...

(Yes, I know - "genre mismatch." I didn't say it would be easy.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Yeah, evil corporations are so 90s. The cool capes fight terrorists these days.

(If you do use the idea in a paid product, send me a draft of the adventures? Please? I can proofread or something to make it official.)
--
asked and answered:

Transit of the Moons Luna Inverse, Luna Lovegood, Luna (cat) & Luna (pony) find themselves thrown together in an adventure far from home. May also include Exalted content.

The Journey is Half the Sun
No Way But Through
Birthdays and Other Mishaps

--
Quote:Timote wrote:
First Day on the Hose Job?  That's the story of a rookie firefighter, who joins up just in time for some lunatic to go on an arson spree, in the middle of a summer heatwave/drought.
If we are talking panty hose, it's the story of a guy who is a lingerie and swimsuit buyer for chains. His job involves going to fashion shows where models parade down the runway showing off the latest in lingerie and swim ware. I suppose it makes for good reality show. 
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
ordnance11 Wrote:
Quote:Timote wrote:
First Day on the Hose Job? That's the story of a rookie firefighter, who joins up just in time for some lunatic to go on an arson spree, in the middle of a summer heatwave/drought.

If we are talking panty hose, it's the story of a guy who is a lingerie and swimsuit buyer for chains. His job involves going to fashion shows where models parade down the runway showing off the latest in lingerie and swim ware. I suppose it makes for good reality show.
Broadcast on T&A&E...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Quote:Timote wrote:First Day on the Hose Job? That's the story of a rookie firefighter, who joins up just in time for some lunatic to go on an arson spree, in the middle of a summer heatwave/drought.

Broadcast on T&A&E...
Yeah, but then it'd be on the premium cable channels. If you want the most exposure, you watch it on G4 cable channel.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
ClassicDrogn Wrote:The Journey is Half the Sun
No Way But Through
Birthdays and Other Mishaps
No ideas; just getting these back to the current end of the thread so they can be replied to.

And adding one:
The Fastidious and the Furry
--
Rob Kelk

The Fastidious and the Furry The others were mine (and there's actually another set of them that got plowed under up there too) but what comes to my mind for this one is a coffee table book about raccoons - though varmints to poultry and cat owners and pests that knock over trash cans for the goodies inside, they will in fact wash their hands and their food if possible before they eat it. Or it could be fap-a-yiffic PWP about bipedal mutants' encounters while bathing. One or the other.
--

Hazard

No Way But Through is a tunnelers account of, well, drilling a tunnel straight through a mountain. It's not exactly rivetting, but it's quite interesting.

Sirrocco

The Journey is Half the Sun is an alt earth (or possibly post-interstellar collapse... it's a little hard to tell) story that involves a culture that's something of an inca/maya/aztec/olmec/etc pastiche with slightly different names. The main characters are set on a journey to the furthest reaches of the continent for some Dreadfully Important Reason (politics or flight, or merchanting or something) and travelling by land takes half of a year - literally (as far as they're concerned) half the life of the sun. The journey is made, from time to time, by the brave or the foolhardy, and it is known that it is possible, but it is by no means trivial. The story focuses on the various trials and tribulations that the group must survive to get where they're going.
and for mine: The Furry Rock of Tennesee, and Other Stories
Sometimes compared to the works of Mark Twain and Gerald Durrel, Birthdays & Other Mishaps and The Furry Rock of Tennesee & Other Stories follow a boy growing up in the rural South, exploring around his hometown and investigating local folk tales. While not really action packed or plot heavy, the anecdotes are funny and down to earth. Good bathroom readers, since most episodes are fairly short.

There Beyond the Door
Mind the Gap
Just You Wait

--
As an urban fantasy series I'd say that the Subways Trilogy (consisting of There Beyond the Door, Mind the Gap, and Just You Wait) might be an acquired taste of sorts. Based around the London Underground it showed a claustrophobic world where those in the know could take the carriages through the stygian darkness to places which were never shown on any map. I particular liked how the glimpses of other carriages while travelling showed hints as to events, both in the other books and more esoteric things, wore at the sanity of those who dared stare into the darkness.

There Beyond the Door introduced the setting and hinted at horrible things when, somehow, the doors to the carriages seemed to be opening of their own accord while in transit and letting the darkness in. It was, in my opinion, a good start but the author seemed unsure of the tone to be using in the narrative.

Mind the Gap gives the reader a better look into the stations and how they relate to transitions when the darkness begins seeping up between carriages and platforms. I'm not sure if I am happy with how the loss of a charity box full of change to the darkness in the previous book is a key to the mystery as it means that a reader who tries jumping straight in will be utterly confused at the revelation during the climax.

Just You Wait rounds off the trilogy and finally explains why timetables to the Underground were carried despite everyone having them memorised and the places of importance never being shown on them. Being trapped in "foreign stations" while trying to get home was shown as terrifying especially when the paranormal aspects were initially over looked and, as in the previous books, the darkness between stations is presented not as malicious but as uncaring and lethal as a stormy sea.

With all that said, can anyone tell me if Boy Blues and its sequel Petty in Pink are any good? I saw them in a charity shop and was pondering picking them up since a friend said they were "good" but not much more than that.

Sirrocco

For a bit of quick resuscitation... The following are the titles put forth in this thread that have received no notice, as accurately as my current brainstate allowed me to compile them..

High Collision Deer Corridor
Inferior Epic Grouping
$charname and the Magic Toenail
$charname and the Search for Hassenpfeffer
$charname and the Square Root
$charname and the Decision Tree
$charname and the Secret of Happiness
Genius Is OverratedAlchemy Con Brio
Pancreas Joe and the Eskimo Leftists
Shift Noise
Night Danger
Holy Wood and Vines
Reality and Other Daydreams
Death and Texas
Moe Curley and Larry
Moe Monet
Super Moe Brothers
Moe Missile Massacre
Moe Mau Uprising
Superman and the Moe Men
Moe Songs About Buildings and Food
Fire freeze me, Water burn me, Midnight send me home
Underhill and Overdale
As the Years Fall Away
Murder Don't Buy Happiness
Metal Gear Potter
My Love is Like a Klein Bottle
A Dream of Fight
Sock Hop SwitcherooBoy Blues and its sequel Petty in Pink Bid the Wind to Blow
Bid the Earth to Move
Bid the Rain to Burn

edit: updated as of #133
Yay backlog clearing!

Amadeus Ex Machina
Calzones and Mozart
The Song on Death's Radio

Approaching the classic "line between emulation and life" premise from a musical angle, the emergent character begins as a sorftware expert system intended to create and play 'Mozart-like' muzak in real time, but reducing any more than the sound theory of chords to an algorythm is a difficult proposition, and feature creep sets in as the nascent AI is exposed to more and more examples of 'like this,' 'not like
--
that,' and 'you can switch things up like in the other part here,' with a voice synth package added in during a sozzled weekend so it can join the devteam's drinking songs coming to a moment of realisation when Amadeus X requests more data on 'love.'

My awesome is running low, but the second book would continue that in discussions with a member of the devteam at the pizzaria where the prototype gets installed after university funding cuts end the research project, and the last deals withthe AI discovering
--
fear of mortality as the business falters and faces the prospect of having to cut costs like the power bill for uninterrupted uptime, and the liklihood of the hardware being sold piecemeal in a bankruptcy foreclosure. May end with the dev(s) involved in the later books managing to buy up almost all the parts and hook him back up, but be back at the "What is love? It's mentioned in many lyrics but I have no data," stage.
--
Moving away from profession writing and onto fanfic in order to clear out the backlog, I'm going to highly recommend the Warhammer 40K comedy/parody self-insertion fic "Breakfast and Armageddon" and it's sequel "Eldar Now, and Wiser".

In the first story the protagonist, who goes by many names and whose attempts to say his real name keep meeting with disaster, basically wakes up one morning and is half way attempting to get breakfast before waking up enough to find that they are in the body of an Imperial Guard officer on the world of Armageddon. In a twist on the idea of a Mary Sue every time they attempt anything of significance, and sometimes with innocuous actions like sending someone out to fetch some tea, things end up going Horribly Right.

The writer obviously enjoyed the official 40K novels about Ciaphas Cain because they have vaguely the same feel to them, but turned up to eleven. Mistaken identities abound, the protagonist almost managed to subvert the ongoing WAAAGH! due to an ill timed rant, and Chevok's guns abound.

The sequel follows on after the amusing end to the former story with the protagonist waking up in a different body in the same universe: namely an Eldar Farseer. The only problem is that the protagonist can't actually see the future at all so, basically, makes things up initially when pestered for advice while trying to sort out what is going on. Unfortunately those initial lies spin into larger ones as a reputation for intricate and esoteric manipulation and sage wisdom grows despite every personal attempt to avoid that.
Dammit Merior, everything you make up for this thread, I want to read the whole story!

And, to avoid pointless post count inflation... Unlimited Moé Works - Exactly how Haruhi Suzumiya, a schoolgirl who knows no more than the general public about magic or strange events, became a Master is unknown. Why the Caster she summoned appears to be one of her own classmates, even more so. How she can possibly be supplying THAT MUCH prana, baffles everybody but Zelretch, who is laughing too hard to tell even
--
if he felt like it. But one thing is clear - Whatever else she may be capable of, Asahina Mikuru's Classified Information is EX rank!

(Time travel? Oh yeah, huge ginormous insanely Big Thing in Nasuverse. One of the Lost True Magics big.)

Just seeing Archer's WTF!? when he discovers he's in the wrong Grail War would be worth it, but can you imagine the Haru-squee at finally getting involved in something extraordinary? And then back to Archer, who might have found someone who can get him away from Alaya.
--
... and all this time, the Mage Assosciation thought their troubles would be solved by finding the Root! No wonder Zelretch's main occupation these days is trolling.
--

Sirrocco

A Brief Moment of Inertia: Lensman fanfic, more man-on-the-street. Mystery. People have been dying in a series of horrific spacecraft accidents as their inertialess drives fail at exactly the wrong times. Takes the assumptions of the Lensmen series, and then runs the sci-fi as hard as it can after that point. More Sir Arthur Conan Doyle than Raymond Chandler.

Larry Lustig and I and the Polite New Yorker: A *startlingly* raunchy joke, covering a good-sized paragraph.

Head over Heels in Hate: A nice, high-quality trashy romance novel, of the "two people who really don't get along well must get married for some contrived reason" subgenre. Refreshing, in that they don't just fall for each other straight off - the "really quite at odds but working together for practical reasons" bit takes up a good half of the book, and the snark is first-rate.

Moe Moe Moe (How Do You Like It?) After mishearing the lyrics to Rebel Yell, a man named Moe decides that his difficulties with the ladies are due to the fact that he hasn't found the right one yet - and that apparently the right one wants not one Moe, but three. He relatively quickly gathers together two other Moes (both of whom are at least as romantically unsuccessful), convince them of the rightness of his cause, and then track down Billy Idol to ask who this lady is that "wants Moe, Moe, Moe". There's a fair bit of pretty obvious stupidity humor, which left me uninterested, but I've heard that those who enjoy the genre liked it. In the end, they wind up hooking up with a firecracker of a lady who has a libido a mile wide and decides that yes, she does like the idea of having a harem of three guys who are easily convinced of silly things, even if they're a little odd around the edges.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8