Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: What Would A Fic With This Title Be About?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I have a few phrases bubbling up in my head, and I'm wondering what a fanfic or original fic with that title would be like.
Feel free to suggest your own, but for now, here are the ones that bubbled up:
  • Normative Vacuum
  • Vampire Watermelons
  • Theories of International Relations and Superheroes
  • Hammercraft
  • Non-Indicative Title
  • Jumping Jack Flash
  • Rainbow Dash Goes Totally Crazy And Just Wales On Everybody
  • Exactly What It Says On The Tin
  • And That's All I've Got For Now
(Minor shoutout to Dan Drezner, whose "Theories of International Relations and Zombies" one of the above is named for.)
Thanks
Luc "Bad Brainstorming" French
Normative Vacuum - Fed up with the fickle, illogical tides of public opinion in the wizarding world, HP attempts to vanish back into muggle society the summer after his belated 7th year at Hogwarts. Except, while traveling in the US, he finds himself in the little town of Eureka...

Vampire Watermelons - Buffy has a date. A date with an actual living, human, normal guy. So they go for a day at the beach: lots of sun, excuse to wear and look at hunk wearing very little, frisbee and volleyball, watermelons,
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
nothing to go wrong there, right? ... Right?

Hammercraft - Loki fell off the Bifrost... and landed in Azeroth. Now Thor and his mortal companions the Avengers must recapture him, 'fore his foul scheming sees a new force collected to bring doom upon Midgard anew.

And That's All I've Got For Now - Who/Back to the Future/Time Tunnel/HGWells/Star Trek 3/Tomb Raider/Gargoyles/Legend of Zelda/Kamen Rider Den'oh megacrossover teamup vs. Kang the Conqueror and the Time Breakers (eXiles)
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
and since I used four...

* Meet Me Under the Hangin' Tree

* Nothing Exceeds Like Excess

* Ventures and Returns

* Swindlers, Liars and Fools
--
Hammercraft - Doctor Horrible's nemesis steps away from crimefighting and turns his abilities to the arts.

Hammercraft - Vita of the Wolkenritter gets involved in designing a computer game. Followed by the sequel "World of Hammercraft"

Hammercraft - a documentary about ships' battering rams.

And a title for the list (copied from a highway sign):
  • High Collision Deer Corridor
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
"Exactly What It Says on the Tin" could be a Spamalot fic, I guess. I haven't seen it, and it's been at least a decade since I've seen Monty Python's Holy Grail, so you're on your own for plot ideas.

*Bravely bold Sir Vorticity ran away, bravely ran away away...*
-- ∇×V
Hammercraft - Tony Stark introduces Thor to Minecraft. Thor doesn't reappear until several weeks later, having managed to build Asgard.

Rainbow Dash Goes Totally Crazy And Just Wales On Everybody - Exactly What It Says On The Tin Smile
It's using one of my own but -

Swindlers, Liars, and Fools - Ponyfic. Trixie, Flim and Flam are the only ones who know about a new plot by the Changelings... "Equestria is doomed, right? We're... let's be honest, all three of us are a bunch of fakers, it's why no one is beleiving the warning. What can we actually do besides try to get away in time?"

Now I want to read about those three becoming heroes despite themselves. Curse these ponies! Thet get into everything

* Game, Over Easy
--
Vampire Watermelons - New Jersey finally learns what that that watermelon was doing in the hydraulic press in the basement of the Banzai Institute. It's not what he expected. Blue Blazer Irregular #3931, Alexander Lavelle Harris, is called in for a consultation and he bring some friends. Special Cameo Guest Star: Carl Kolchak.
Here's a few contributions:
   Crazy from the Heat
   Down Among the Dead Men
   If It Weren't for that Goat....
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
If it Weren't for That Goat - the REAL story about how Gellert Grindelwald was defeated, and how Aberforth dodged the annoyance of becoming famous by fobbing it off on his brother and hiding behind a scandalous sounding misdemeanor.

* Surplus to Requirements
--

Necratoid

-Vampire Watermelons- Darkwing Duck: After the success of the Vampire Potatoes Bushroot decides to experiment with new minion types
-Crazy from the Heat- Warhammer 40K/Columbo: A certain warp god begins to have a mental breakdown after a guy in a trench coat keeps uncovering all his plans... including the 964 contingency that are really, really clever.
-Down Among the Dead Men- Hellsing/Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker: In which Seras discovers why Alucard has that hat and that robots are useless
-Meet Me Under the Hangin' Tree- Berserk: Gatz writes his memoirs
-Hammercraft- This Old House/Lovecraftian Mythos: A documentary series in which Bob, renovates house with inexplicable geometry. The sections on which molding to use to keep your guests from going mad is fascinating.
-Non-Indicative Title- Rat Race/House of Leaves: In which the first to find the deed wins the property
-Game, Over Easy- Tool Time/Iron Chef/Disney's Hercules/* of the Dead Movies: In which Hades remembers why he hates his relatives.  After he gets badgered into attending one of their parties, he makes the mistake of leaving his idiot brothers in charge of the Underworld.  They were suppose to cover him for three days at work... two hours later they get board and the just rig up a shoddy 'No Vacanies' sign call it a day and go home to party.  In Chapter 2, zombies completely fail to overrun a TV studio.  By chapter 6, Hades gets a new catering service, Charon gets his ride pimped (He loves the nitroboosters the most), and Hephaestus gets a new apprentice.

Sirrocco

Exactly What It Says On The Tin:  Wizard of Oz/Death Note.
Theories of International Relations and Superheroes: Godlike.  A series of romantic vignettes between superheroes of differing nations over the course fo the war.

Crazy from the HEAT: an early BOLO takes one too many High Explosive Anti Tank rounds in the wrong spot, and starts to go a little loopy.

Rainbow Dash Goes Totally Crazy and just Wales On Everybody: MLP/Hetalia

Jumping Jack Flash: Jack Bauer is constantly under a deadline - with the emphasis on Dead.  He is also brutally practical when the chips are down.  Time.  He always needs more time - so when he finds that he starts being able to move a bit faster than physics might suggest, he uses it, and uses it hard.  As he leans upon this strange new "Speed Force", he finds that reality is bending around it - and my the time he realizes what's really going on, it's too late, and he's managed to run himself into a reality far enough divorced from his own that there is no record of him, and none of his loved ones ever existed.  How does he deal with the consequences of his newfound power, and can he control it well enough to ever make it home - or even somewhere that seems sort of like home?

And for a starter...
- Thirty Feet of Det Cord and a Running Start
Mm. I've kept a writer's notebook since my college years in the early 80s (although in the last decade or so it's been mostly supplanted by various memory devices). And in that notebook I have a section for possible titles. So let me see if any pass muster for the purposes of this thread...

Hm.

Acquisiton and Murder

It Used To Be So Natural

Pain is the Passaic of the Soul

Sealed With a Quiche

Premonitions of a Civil War

Soft Construction in Baked Beans

Dionysius and the 'Shrooms

The $400 Bloodbath

At Last Came the Clams

Sugar and Spice and Everything Mice

The Complete Guide to Field-Cleaning Your Badger

I'm Getting My Act Together And Taking It Out On You

The Eunuchorn

Shards of Rat

We Who Serve God's Will in Hell

Hm. That's a bare fraction of my collection, but more than enough for the moment.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:The Complete Guide to Field-Cleaning Your Badger
Because we don't need no stinkin' badgers... Obviously this is a UHF sidestory.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:We Who Serve God's Will in Hell
An In Nomine splatbook about the Habbalah. (Hmmmmm... Actually, this one would work...)
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:The Complete Guide to Field-Cleaning Your Badger
Because we don't need no stinkin' badgers... Obviously this is a UHF sidestory.
Or possibly 'puff-shipping Potterotica...

It Used To Be So Natural - R.Crumb/Roujin Z crossover, even healthy living can't stave of the effects of age forever, and like many others of their generation Mr. B. Natural's kids were of a more materialist bent. When the chance came to have his care paid for by a reaserch program, they jumped!
--

Seraviel

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:

Sugar and Spice and Everything Mice
Powerpuff Girls / Biker Mice from Mars

The Complete Guide to Field-Cleaning Your Badger
Harry Potter and the rest of the Gryffindors being forced to clean up the Hufflepuffs after a prank.

Sealed With a Quiche
Power Ranger / Cooking Mama
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

Necratoid

-Soft Construction in Baked Beans- Naruto/Fighting Foodons
Gai makes challenge to Kakashi after taking a hit to the skull.  They get waaayy... too involved in their taken up to 11^11 food fight.  The first sign things went truely wonky were when they constripted their genin teams into it.  The second when defences went up.  Things truly went nuts after a side project between Tenten and Naruto comes to light.  Naruto stole Kabuto's ninja Info cards... then they came across an ancient tome of dismissed by everyone else as stupid knowledge on a missing nin.  Somewhere around the time Naruto's Flying Ramen Monster and Tenten's army of Meat bun golem shock troopers attracted ANBU Sasuke decides he has found a humiliating enough way to kill Itachi.
-I'm Getting My Act Together And Taking It Out On You- Beck/NoirIn which, Mongolian Chop Squad wakes up after a post concert party to discover they have somehow acquired two female band mates that can't remember who they are.
-We Who Serve God's Will in Hell- DisgaeaFlonne ends up training a unit of Celestia's special forces.. Those who screw up get to spend a week under cover in Etna's Prinny Squad.
-Dionysius and the 'Shrooms- Ranma 1/2
In which, Ranma discovers he has been 'volunteered' as a student teacher in a local middle schoo,l for extra credit on his failing grades.  This is the side story where his discussion of why drugs are bad and disturbingly he provides provable (Nabiki) documented evidence to prove they are not tall tales.
Vampire Watermelons - Dr Gangreen has escape from prison and plans to unleash more vegatation terror upon the world.  But this time, he's dropping tomatoes for something tougher... (Sequel to Return of the Killer Tomatoes)
Sugar and Spice and Everything Mice - After the Powerpuff Girls trash the Vogon construction fleet, Professor gets some unusual visitors looking for help with a certain question.
Soft Construction in Baked Beans - Alternate scene from Close Encounters using baked beans rather than mashed potatoes.
Premonitions of a Civil War - A pacifist society is slowly torn apart by increasingly passionate debates between philosophers.
  • Uncivilized
  • Principia Homicidii
  • Familiar of Aleph Null
  • History of the Decline and the Fall of the Equestrian Empire
  • Oldblood
  • Why Can't We Be Enemies?
Thanks,
Luc "Not Certain of His Latin" French
Lubaf Wrote:History of the Decline and the Fall of the Equestrian Empire
"So, why did the Mongols stop taking over Europe, Mr. Peabody?"
"That's an excellent question, Sherman. Follow me to the Wabak Machine..."
Why can't we be enemies? - (genre savvy SI) Being anywhere near the named characters is a recipe for trouble, and being the main character's boy or girlfreind is practically a death sentence - so why won't my stupid heart listen!? It would be safer to be the recurring comic relief antagonist...

* Inferior Epic Grouping

(note- when I woke up I was sure it was an actual thing- where the PC is told they're not up to $quest, then the NPC's are tpk'd and it's up to the town losers and misfits to save the day.)
--
$charname and the...

* Magic Toenail
* Search for Hassenpfeffer
* Square Root
* Decision Tree
* Secret of Happiness

At Last, Oysters - After sharing a very strange dream with Luna, Harry invites her as his date to the Yule Ball. While he's not so sure the Lobster Quadrille is really apropriate for their required, opening dance, it does sound like a lot of fun if he dares... and getting to know the girl through further dreams is an adventure in itself. But why does waking reality seem ever more malleable?
--
ClassicDrogn Wrote:Game, Over Easy
You'd think "eggs" would be an easy Mystery Ingredient on Iron Chef... but there aren't enough to go around!

Since I used one title, have one title:
  • Genius Is Overrated
--
Rob Kelk

Following up on At Last, Oysters - I'm not sure if Snape or Draco should be turned into a Mock-Turtle without noticing - but I suppose Snape is the one who'd match the background, having learned Reeling, Writhing, Ambition, Distraction, Uglification & Derision etc., but unable to afford the extra courses in Frecnch, Music, and Washing...
--
Time for a few more from my notebook. (I have pages and pages of these. But rest assured I'm not going to flood the thread. I'm just cherrypicking the ones with the most possibility.)

Larry Lustig and I and the Polite New Yorker
Calzones and Mozart
Alchemy Con Brio
Minimum Rage
Pancreas Joe and the Eskimo Leftists
Roses are Red, Violence is Blue
Theatre of the Paranoid
The Song on Death's Radio
Elephants All The Way Down
Amadeus ex Machina
The Art of Godsmanship
I Was A Teenaged Warehouse