Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Student of the Year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This came to me during a slow moment at work today.

Quote:Severus Snape was more than slightly bored. He was also, although he would never admit it later, more than slightly buzzed from the wine he'd had at the leaving feast that year. 'Thank Merlin,' he told himself, 'that precious bitch Umbridge is gone at last.'

Of course, he had more reasons to worry than a mere Ministry toady. Dumbledore's and the Dark Lord's demands on his time had been growing steadily worse over the past year as the conflict between them heated up. After the battle at the Ministry, fortunately, things had settled back to a simmer, though he was certain that things would heat up the moment the Potter brat was exposed again. 

That the owl delivering the Howler chose that moment to arrive could only be laid in the hands of destiny.

"Really, Severus," it chided him in an all-too-familiar nasal whine. "It's been a month, the newsletter's all laid out and ready to go, all we need is your nomination. Would you PLEASE write back tonight and let us know? The Malfoy lad would do, decent grades, excellent connections... but really, anyone you care to name. It's all automatic at this point, just write the name on this parchment and everything will go into motion."

The aggravating whine of the voice contrasting with the rather mellow mood he'd just been starting to enjoy was somewhat... grating. So perhaps Severus Snape can be excused what he did next.

----- ----- -----

The next morning, Draco Malfoy paused in his enjoyment of his breakfast to open the parchment the owl delivered. The words 'Slytherin Herald' were visible at the top, in black ink lined with green and silver. He settled in to read, enjoying the tales of his predecessors in that great and glorious student House.

Several minutes later, his jaw dropped. He tried to speak. He failed, several times, before managing to spit out the simple utterance, "WHAT?"

All eyes at the table, and several more from the rest of the Great Hall, turned to see what had so shocked the 'Prince' of Slytherin. None were looking to see the ghost of a smile that briefly paused on the face of Severus Snape.

No, all eyes were on the "Slytherin Student of the Year" award, on the third page of the newsletter. The photograph of two students flying away on broomsticks, while a fuming Ministry Toady stood in the middle of a swamped hallway, was instantly recognizable. There was little need to read the caption, though it was repeated by several who were close enough to do so.

"For the best display of cunning and ambition, and the most amusing prank played in the history of Hogwarts, the title of Slytherin Student of the Year is awarded to Fred and George Weasley."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
  That's just what I needed to start my day off today. Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Hmm. I wonder whether the Gred/Forge Gestalt would be more distraught at recieving a Slytherin award, amused at the double prank on themselves and the baby snakes for same, or proud at actually getting Snivvy to admit that their prank was amusing?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
ClassicDrogn Wrote:Hmm. I wonder whether the Gred/Forge Gestalt would be more distraught at recieving a Slytherin award, amused at the double prank on themselves and the baby snakes for same, or proud at actually getting Snivvy to admit that their prank was amusing?
Yes. Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.