Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Arrgh, what was that fic?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It was a Potterfic, where the Dursleys were actually some sort of magical constructs designed to be as odious as possible as advanced training for house elves, and Harry somehow got stuck in the trainee position by mistake. I remember it was pretty short - it's not exactly a deep concept - but can't even come up with a phrase to search by. Anyone remember some more identifying features?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Is this what you were thinking of?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
It is, though even shorter than I remembered. I wonder if anyone's tried filling it out some? Unfortunately most people who write well enough to bother with have an overflow of their own ideas, let alone taking anyone else's on.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Here's another: original, animated Sailor Moon, the first senshi Luna found wasn't Usagi or Rei, it was Ami... who has no actual damaging attacks for a long time to come, and instead has to come up with physical decoys to use in her mist, and is a little ball of determinator awesome. I think the was also some (entirely justified for a young girl pushed into demon hunting with only her brains and a talking cat to help) angst over the toll in scars and lost grades, skimmed over because it was during a fight.
--
Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
Here's another: original, animated Sailor Moon, the first senshi Luna found wasn't Usagi or Rei, it was Ami... who has no actual damaging attacks for a long time to come, and instead has to come up with physical decoys to use in her mist, and is a little ball of determinator awesome. I think the was also some (entirely justified for a young girl pushed into demon hunting with only her brains and a talking cat to help) angst over the toll in scars and lost grades, skimmed over because it was during a fight.
This one sounds interesting as all heck. If anyone finds it, post a link.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
I managed to find it, but it's only a tiny snippet, even less than I'd thought - ch27 of Chibi-Reaper's _Et Cetera_

http://m.fanfiction.com/s/4697579/27

Even so, I agree with you and Reaper - I'd really love to see that fic.
--
There was an old fic that started out like that, but it (rather reasonably) quickly brought in the others to help: The World Without
Hmm, interesting, though I note it has the odd error I've seen in things converted to text in MSWord now and then where it gets most of the way through and then starts over from the beginning. Its a bit disconcerting to see a youma stunned, but not from the force of the disclaimer. It does so several times, getting a little further each time, also typical of this error.

As for the fic itself... well, it's not bad, but I really think Ami could have soloed a little longer by applying creativity and planning
--
rather than bravely rushing in to die or win like a shonen protagonist. Minako getting to Japan from England in under a day is also a little questionable...
--