Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Older Eyrie Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Starting a thread for belated observations and musings on Eyrie works, because why not?
It never really dawned on me precisely where the name "Avalon" comes from until I reread the Raven/The Demon Halloween Special just this evening, and got to the part about Etrigan's verse-epic about King Arthur's court. At first I was thinking "Gryphon is Arthur?!", but a cursory examination puts the lie to that. No, I think the Great King is a figure of much more mysterious origin and whereabouts: Lord Fahrvergnugen. Seemingly slain by a trusted personal assistant, he returned when his people (the Wedge Rats) most needed him.
Sure, I've got one.

In Weapon of Choice, Laura says "Suffice it to say that I have grown tired of reattaching limbs."

I can't help but wonder if anyone in the studio had been playing NeverDead around that time, since that seems to be the most common complaint people have about it...

-Morgan.
I'd always figured Lord Fahrvergnugen was more akin to a Merlin figure; in some of the classical accounts, Merlin's got a joking personality. He engineers the rise of the protagonist, provides the McGuffins, is the sage advisor...but he isn't the hero of the Arthurian tales.
-- Acyl
Yeah, I'll buy that, Acyl. If Lord Fahrvergnugen was an Arthur, he'd've stuck around to become New Avalon's head of state, instead of vanishing to gods know where again. (I think Lord F is still active as the WDF's "crackpot patron", but that force has drifted out of narrative focus.) Of course, the Merlin of UF as of Symphony of the Sword is MegaZone (I'm only half-serious with this suggestion, but by the same token I'm only half joking).
Quote:Acyl wrote:
I'd always figured Lord Fahrvergnugen was more akin to a Merlin figure; in some of the classical accounts, Merlin's got a joking personality. He engineers the rise of the protagonist, provides the McGuffins, is the sage advisor...but he isn't the hero of the Arthurian tales.
Also, from what little I recall of Arthurian legend, Merlin was trapped in a crystal cave by his student (and lover?) Nimue for a period of time, which sort of resonates with Lord F's absence during the Exile.