Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Hear the Harmonians Roar!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw this a couple of days ago and wondered how long it would take to show up here.

Rowling changing her mind about her canon has become something of a recurring patern, so I can't say I'm surprised by this.

I'm not fanatical about any of the pairings or shipping but I think the Ron-Hermione pair works just fine. In fact I think it was handled better than most of the other pairings in the books, largely because we actually get to see the two of them interact frequently.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
People rarely end up with the people they're supposed to in real life anyway... I don't see how it really changes anything tbh.
Frankly, all this means is that after Goblet of Fire, she became "too big to be edited". Without the help and advice of a good editor, each book became bigger and more plodding than the preceding one, and she got stuck in a "my way or the highway" mindset over the details of her plot, even if it didn't fit what she wrote before.
I mean, the last book was chock-full of scenes clearly intended to set various popular fanons right. (don't anyone come to tell me that she did not read any fanfic, cause I won't believe it)
Quote:nemonowan wrote:
Frankly, all this means is that after Goblet of Fire, she became "too big to be edited". Without the help and advice of a good editor, each book became bigger and more plodding than the preceding one, and she got stuck in a "my way or the highway" mindset over the details of her plot, even if it didn't fit what she wrote before.
I mean, the last book was chock-full of scenes clearly intended to set various popular fanons right. (don't anyone come to tell me that she did not read any fanfic, cause I won't believe it)
I personally would put the cut-off between the good books and the books needing to be edited properly as after Order of the Phoenix.  Both Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hollows introduced things that may not have been really necessary for the whole series to work out as much as they did.
Though this Harmonian would gladly admit to wishing he still had both legs so he could do a happy dance at JKR admitting this! Wink 
Heh, I wonder if we'll see an anniversary edition collection where that gets rewritten. Greedo shot first, after all.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Eh. I kinda liked Ginny better, but then I'm biased because I got a thing for adorable little spitfires.
I'm still trying to figure out how Ron counted as "wish fulfillment" for Rowling. I mean, I know he's based on an old friend of hers (who showed up in a segment for that British bio program on her), but still...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Poor choice of words on her part, perhaps?

The Wanderer

From the article, I understood it as tying in with "clinging to the plot as [she] first imagined it" - i.e., the "wish" involved is the desire to stick with the ideal of her original conception of the story.

I could easily be wrong about that, but it's the least stretch from the provided information that I can come up with.