Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Manga Fanfic: Rosario + Vampire and Naruto.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Thesilentjackofalltrade

I started doing this as a bit of a joke, but let's see how far I can go with this....
[Image: 9gk6kz.jpg]   [Image: 24p9kdz.jpg]
[Image: 66lver.jpg]   [Image: t9cvuv.jpg]
[Image: 1y2s9c.jpg]   [Image: 35lao0j.jpg]
(Sakura also has long (But not as long as Moka) Pink Hair and green eyes.)
[Image: 2nvuo34.jpg]
Yes, I am mostly just messing with the images from both respective manga's.
Questions, comments, ect.?
'T'ain't bad, but your jaggies when the images are scaled or skewed is kind of jarring. What are you using to edit the images? If it's something like GIMP or Photoshop that should be handling that, you may need to check that the color mode is set to full RGB or Greyscale rather than a restricted palette. If not, I highly suggest GIMP as a free tool for such purposes, which can be understood at a level sufficient to do the basics just by reading the tooltips from hovering the mouse over tool buttons and playing around with the filters/etc.

It could also benefit from modifying the contrast of the R+V parts to match the more basic B&W of the Naruto parts, or adding simulated ziptone shading to Naruto, but that begins to get a little more involved.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Thesilentjackofalltrade

I am using Microsoft paint, I will be trying to get a hold of photoshop today.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Yeah, I don't think he fully comprehends the meaning of the term 'Open Source', nor what popular open source alternatives are available out there in the wilds of the Internet.

Bro, GIMP is like photoshop, only kinda mutated, and completely free because it runs off an open source engine. It pretty much does anything PS can do, like CD said, though it takes a bit of time to figure out how it works. As a bonus it is very easy on system resources. (The files that you are working on, on the other hand, is another matter. This is why most graphic design rigs are monster 8-core CPU setups with 16-gigs of RAM and twin SLI-linked double-slot GPUs... or a comparable Apple computer.)
I'll note that unless you plan to take a weekend or week-long course on it at your local college, you'll spend just as much time trying to figure out PS by trial and error, thought there are books about it as well - actually, the two are similar enough that the course or books would probably help just as much with GIMP. If tyou can find an older PS book at a used books store or something, somewhere in the v6-8 area, that's about where they seem to align the best - GIMP's devs haven't been concentrating on sexing up the interface like I seem to recall seeing in a PS demo video, just keeping the functionality up to date.
--

Thesilentjackofalltrade

Got GIMP, now I am messing with it to learn more.
Cool. I'd say that the most important things to figure out in detail are the Layers panel and the menus off of it (especially Multiply and Hue/Color/Saturation blending modes for changing the color of something without completely painting over it like Normal mode,) working with the various Select tools, the Paintbrush and Airbrush, the Levels popup under Colors for adjusting contrast and white/50% grey/black thresholds with more finesse than the one labeled Balance & Contrast, and the filter for Gaussian Blur - the last, I use all the time for creating outlines, mostly on text (use the text tool to type something, then duplicate the layer with the little button on the layers tab, check the tick box to keep transparency on the new layer, paint over it in the outline color with a big Pencil, then uncheck the box again and apply a small Gaussian blur. Shuffle the burred layer below the original and duplicate it until the outline is nice and solid, then turn off all the non-outline layers and pick "merge visible" off the Layers menu so you don't have a huge stack of layers to scroll past. This does mean you can't edit the text on the outline layer anymore, so I don't merge in the original text layer, to keep it as is.) the only critical keyboard shortcut I can think of is holding down shift and clicking to draw a straight line between the current pointer location and where you clicked last, which is really useful for matching curves by going in a bunch of short segments instead of trying to match them with the movement of the mouse. Aside from that, just play around. You can't really break anything as long as you make sure to always be working on a copy of your source image, so as not to risk saving over it with a crappy doodle where you were just fooling around.
--