Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: The Folkloric Four
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, let's see. You've got Santa Claus, who is of course North, Snow/Ice (in classical form, Water) and Winter, you've got the Easter Bunnie, who covers East (duh,) and Spring, and there's the Tooth Fairy, who's got Air sewed up pretty well by virtue of having bug wings, but who's number four? The Queen of England's too busy, so the Boogie Man? He could take South (as in "things have gone south") which would leave the Tooth Fairy to come out of the West, pardners, and switching up the rotation to give him Summer and Boogie Fall (for Hallowe'en) works well too, but what about elements?

I suppose Toothie could do Fire if he's Summer, though I think of that as more a late summer and fall thing with dry weather and leaves on the ground, and more in Boogie's area since an uncontrolled fire is scary and even a simple match or candle will hurt if you act like a doofus. Smoke and dancing shadows go well with him, too. Besides, like I said, Tothie's the only one with a really good claim on Air.

That leaves Earth for the Easter Bunnie, but I don't really see as close a connection for her as I'd like. Any ideas?

How about for powers? Or their nemesis, Doctor Skeptic, who takes the power of science too far? (Note lack of caps and exclamation point, as there is no such thing as taking SCIENCE! too far.)

ETA: The Tooth Fairy is a crack shot with a six-gun. Why, he can shoot a loose tooth right out of a child's mouth without putting a scratch anywhere else! The bullets flattening out into silver coins would fulfill that part of the legend, too.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Someone's been watching Rise of the Guardians. Wink
Nnnooo... actually, I had to google that to know what you were talking about. I was looking at the Mighty Six website's art gallery, though.

http://mightysixenterprises.com/mighty-art/

Specifically, this one:

http://mightysixenterprises.com/wp-cont ... rsome6.jpg

(Note: Yes, mention of the Queen was entirely a Megamind joke, but having the directions work out so you'd read them off as North East West South all in the same house after switching Boogie and Toothy so thelatter is from the Wild Wild West was a serendipitous coincidence.)
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Having now googled, you probably know that the fourth in your equation is the Sandman. I recommend watching "Rise of the Guardians." It's pretty well done, and both Hugh Jackman (as the Easter Bunny) and Alec Baldwin (as "North" or Santa Claus) have a great deal of fun with it.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
As far as Earth for Bunnie: Plants are very often tied to Western Elemental Earth.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
The trouble with it being Sandman is that it leaves Fire for Bunni, and how do you justify that? Okay, you can do egg-bombs like the Mighty Six picture, but that was one fo the thing I don't like as much about it, to be honest. East and fire can kinda work for being where the sun rises, but sunsets are more iconic for flame-y orange tones.

I'm also influenced by my childhood imaginings of the Boogie Man being like Godzilla - if he's the only monster around it's bad news, but if space monsters start showing up he's the most powerful ally available. Boogie handled greys, Ro-Beasts, spider-bats, Daleks, The Blob, and Megatron while the Autobots and an invisible Mr. Donut held the inner lines so I could sleep safely.

Mister Donut logo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Miste ... lvador.JPG
--
You really do need to see Rise of the Guardians, Drogn, if only to avoid stepping on its toes. Trust us.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Well, I'll keep it in mind. This was pretty much just a whimsical fancy anyway.

Also, video. Just because.

--