Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: The Dog Turtle monkey him a weasel -
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
- for pelican live whale goose connive.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
This is either some extremely obscure reference, or an example of why one shouldn't drink and post...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Five tons of flax.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
The Dog Turtle monkey him a weasel -- for pelican live whale goose connive.
Rob's right.  Lay off the sherry and incense.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
I think it's one of those things where it only makes sense if read aloud, but I can't figure out what it's supposed to sound like.
I see someone's trying speech-to-text....

I've been writing a bit.
Sandwich snot lead witch-can knot dyed-Ye twit strained gray-ons vend heath maid eyed.

I've been writing a bit.

The Wanderer

Raven: The piece you linked to is one of the stock examples of what is called the Anguish Languish. The whole thing is beautiful and marvellous, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much if any of it outside that original canonical body of work.

(It's at least mildly amusing that the page I linked to appears to reproduce the work in its entirety, including the copyright notice which explicitly forbids such reproduction, and the copyright date which shows that said copyright has not yet expired...)

I don't think the example at hand is actually Anguish, but I can't entirely rule it out.
Pink Hairy Otter.

Edit: Gnu yo, "Gibbon knit kapow our 2d feet," ant swan.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Given the current order of play, I think I'm going to have to go with Blackfriars. I know it's a terribly conservative strategy, but sometimes, you just have to go with the basic opening and see what it gets you.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Quote:Ebony wrote:
Given the current order of play, I think I'm going to have to go with Blackfriars. I know it's a terribly conservative strategy, but sometimes, you just have to go with the basic opening and see what it gets you.
Wait, what rules are we playing under? Worlds or Nationals?
Quote:nocarename wrote:
Well, considering that the Blackfriars Opening was only made legal again due to the Non-Leap-Year Non-Exemption of 1999 (according to Paragraph ii.c.3 of the International Rules, Section 87), and yesterday's name contained the name of a video game system, he would've had to have been playing under Nationals rules.  Rather unsporting of him, considering the time differential- now the rest of us have to make all our moves 4 to 8 hours in advance of him, if I recall my Flinder's Guide errata correctly.

I've been writing a bit.
Quote:Bluemage wrote:
Well, considering that the Blackfriars Opening was only made legal again due to the Non-Leap-Year Non-Exemption of 1999 (according to Paragraph ii.c.3 of the International Rules, Section 87), and yesterday's name contained the name of a video game system, he would've had to have been playing under Nationals rules.  Rather unsporting of him, considering the time differential- now the rest of us have to make all our moves 4 to 8 hours in advance of him, if I recall my Flinder's Guide errata correctly.
Ah, but only if your League of Origin is the National League. If you're a World League player (or, God help you, an American League player), the time-differential rule is waived. (It's one of the few benefits that an American League player gets these days, unless you're incorporating Penn Station rules, which are generally excluded from anything except the occasional exhibition match.) So, feel free to play in standard order. It's not like I opened with a handicap or anything. I mean, I could have started with Camden Town. (Not that I would; that's just bad form. But you take my meaning.)

Ebony the Black Dragon

Ah, but only if your League of Origin is the National League. If you're a World League player (or, God help you, an American League player), the time-differential rule is waived. (It's one of the few benefits that an American League player gets these days, unless you're incorporating Penn Station rules, which are generally excluded from anything except the occasional exhibition match.) So, feel free to play in standard order. It's not like I opened with a handicap or anything. I mean, I could have started with Camden Town. (Not that I would; that's just bad form. But you take my meaning.)

Mornington Crescent!

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Swan, cow ewer no TV entry and...

(or you could just give up and ask WTF I was on about... but that's no fun)
--
(Indeed.  That's why I Haven't Explained The Joke.)
Yes, that is the name of the game, Bob.  Unless that was your move?  That doesn't seem right- let me see...
nocarename, could you check your copies of the Rules?  I could swear starting at MC was banned, but I can't remember when.
Anyway, while he looks that up, I believe I'll start with Swansea.  Daring move, I know, but I really feel the Welsh Opening is underrated.

I've been writing a bit.
.... I'm just gonna stand over here and let this play out instead of even attempting to wrap my head around this and wind up looking like an idiot. :p

(It's the old failsafe, y'see... if you're out of your depth, let the other guys go first and watch what happens.)
(EDIT: That said, I'm learning rather quickly.  Thanks, Bob.)
EDIT2: *Comes back, significantly more educated than before.*
Shame on you people, starting a game without even explaining what you were up to.  And I thought you Brits were supposed to be chivalrous.  Not that there's really anything left to explain anyhow.  And you did say that he was being rather unsporting...
That aside, don't belittle the American League so harshly.  Just because we have far more systems to take into consideration - just the Chicagolander Standards are enough to fill a volume unto themselves!  But really, it's not that bad.  I mean, I've been to Japan, and if you think we're bad, they're absolutely nightmarish - and that's without even touching on their time differential.
Quote:I could swear starting at MC was banned, but I can't remember when.
Starting? I thought we were at a strategically viable point already.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:
.... I'm just gonna stand over here and let this play out instead of even attempting to wrap my head around this and wind up looking like an idiot. :p

(It's the old failsafe, y'see... if you're out of your depth, let the other guys go first and watch what happens.)
(EDIT: That said, I'm learning rather quickly.  Thanks, Bob.)
EDIT2: *Comes back, significantly more educated than before.*
Shame on you people, starting a game without even explaining what you were up to.  And I thought you Brits were supposed to be chivalrous.  Not that there's really anything left to explain anyhow.  And you did say that he was being rather unsporting...
That aside, don't belittle the American League so harshly.  Just because we have far more systems to take into consideration - just the Chicagolander Standards are enough to fill a volume unto themselves!  But really, it's not that bad.  I mean, I've been to Japan, and if you think we're bad, they're absolutely nightmarish - and that's without even touching on their time differential.
Dear sir, I happen to be a member of the American League, and I am well versed in its, dare I say, needlessly Byzantine collection of rules. Personally, I do prefer to play with the Chicagolander Standards, though I like to start with a Cowtown Gambit or a Big D Opening (hometown preference, don't you know), but I thought, in the spirit of international relations, that I'd stick with the World League conventions. American League is often considered silly by European standards, and rather than try to claim victory on some ruling that none of the other leagues use, I thought it simply good sportsmanship to start on a generally accepted set of rules. Admittedly, the World League rules do include some rather convoluted bylaws, but most honorable players leave off of such strategies like the Trans-Siberian Bait and Switch without the establishment of house rules. And I think we're all honorable players here.  
Ebony the Black Dragon

nocarename, could you check your copies of the Rules?  I could swear starting at MC was banned, but I can't remember when.
Anyway, while he looks that up, I believe I'll start with Swansea.  Daring move, I know, but I really feel the Welsh Opening is underrated.
My copy is still packed up from a move a few years ago, along with most
of my hardcover fiction (I lost a lot of shelf space in that migration,
alas), but I think the it was the '52 Rationalization Conference where that was codified.
And taking what I've seen so far, I'll go with Canning Town.
Ah, yes!  That was it!  Thank you!
See this regulation, right here?  "In cases where there are at least two more male players than female players, individual moves are being made at time intervals greater than one hour in length, and the current month is no later than September and no earlier than June (oooh, that was close), each player of the game must begin by stating a location that is NOT Mornington Crescent."  Now, since I don't think any of us have had more than a pound of chutney in the last week, I do believe that that rule is still valid.
Oh, and Gloucester.

I've been writing a bit.

The Wanderer

CD, I did get the "Think Harry Potter" part, and the "You know" at the beginning of the edit, but it hasn't helped me figure out any of the rest so far.

Seraviel

Seconding the WTHIHH (What The Hell Is Happening Here) motion.
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.
Quote:Seraviel wrote:
Seconding the WTHIHH (What The Hell Is Happening Here) motion.
Think Harry Potter- specifically, utterances any HP fan should be able to quote.  Technically, the first line of the two CD used should've started with an 'and', but I guess he dropped it.

I've been writing a bit.
Pages: 1 2