Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A confession
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometime early last year, an idea for a fanfic coalesced in my head.

When NaNoWriMo started, I started writing it for real. I had a few pages of notes before, but nothing else. It rapidly became clear that I wasn't going to make it to 50K, or anywhere close, just like every other time I'd tried NaNoWriMo. But this time, I managed to establish a habit: at least one sentence a day. Even that bare minimum was more than I'd ever accomplished.

In December, I expanded beyond one sentence, to a minimum of 50 words per day, more if I felt like it. On New Year's Eve, I managed to write more than a thousand words in a burst of enthusiasm and motivation. In January, I upped it to 100 words, despite everything else going on in my life (some of which is still going on) that left me feeling pushed past my limit.

And then, on January 21, that writing habit flickered and died, like so many of the habits I've tried to build. Now it's gone, like it was never there. Worse. It's always so much worse, trying to rebuild a habit after you've lost it, at least for me. The most important thing a writer's supposed to have, and I don't have it anymore. I've only written one day since then.

Even after January ended, with all the exhaustion it brought me, I was at a loss. Too many things that demanded my attention, both in Houston and in the Wired. Too many inadequacies.

And then on Monday, February 2, I read that a man approximately seven thousand times cooler than I'll ever be had died. A man who delighted, who thrilled, who awed, who inspired. A man who'd been doing so, showing talent and focus and a work ethic all far beyond my own, since he was no older than I am now. 160 miles away from me, though I'd never met him. I never would have, probably -- cons have always been too intimidating for me. This is what the people who knew him best said:

"In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to."

I haven't done that.

In the past half-decade, what have I created? A few "In Which I Watch" threads on RPGnet. Index pages for Shadowjack's. Scraps of crossover ideas like my NanoStep or my snippets in this thread or this (which was more than a half-decade ago), not intended to be developed any further. The beginnings of a FanFiction.Net analysis. A single 7,000-word chapter of an Evangelion self-insertion in 2011 that I stalled on not long afterward, despite grand plans.

It's not lack of "natural talent" that's held me back. And it's not lack of time -- I've got the same 24 hours as everyone else, and I don't work more than 40 hours a week, with maybe a 45-minute round-trip commute (and that's only been over the past 16 months). It's been my own cowardice, my inability to manage the time I have, my lack of focus and self-discipline. Every project suffers, even watching a one-season anime series. Even starting this confession or whatever-it-is took an Internet outage for me to focus on it, and I'm struggling to finish it now that the Internet's back.

The story I started in November, under the title of "The Record-Keeper", is one I've hesitated to share. I haven't posted any of the 10,000+ words I've written online, though I've thought about it. I've thought that I could share it with a few people, in the hopes that they could tell me where my deficiencies are and how to improve, beyond the obvious matter of rebuilding the writing habit that I've lost.

Even though I hit a good dividing line at the end of the year, though, I've been too uncomfortable and intimidated to share. I've avoided the best motivational tool there is, by all accounts I've heard -- encouragement from others. The whole reason it's been three years since I've shown my face here is because I was too ashamed of not having another chapter of For the Future to present.

It's time I stopped the dithering. I don't have time for it. If Monday's news drove home anything, it's that I don't know how much time I do have.

An allergic reaction. Completely random. Might as well have been a lightning bolt. Who by water and who by fire...

Anybody who wants, I'll send a copy of the first chunk of The Record-Keeper. It's around 7,000 words long. I don't know if the whole thing ought to be the "first chapter", but the end is definitely a chapter break. I'd appreciate any and all efforts to diagnose its problems, so I can get a better grasp of where my writing skills are. In the meantime, I plan to get my FanFiction.Net profile up to date, and eventually start posting the fic online. FFN, AO3 if possible, maybe even Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity. A new thread here, too. And maybe in the next few weeks, I'll be able to get my writing habit going again. God willing, I'll someday find what it takes to keep my better habits from collapsing at a stiff breeze.

It's not much. But it should serve as a start.

Pronounced "shy guy."
I'm doing a lousy job of managing my own time of late -- between the holidays and the tsuris of dealing with my early-Alzheimer's mother and both putting her in and and then taking her out of assisted living -- I've not done a lick of work on IST25 or really any of my other writing. But I feel it's necessary that I show solidarity with a fellow writer. Not knowing what fandom it's for, I can't guarantee that I'll be able to catch characterization or continuity things, but I will do what I can. (And I'll also make an effort to respond to your C&C on the first half of DW8-4.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Seraviel

Send it here (true[myusername] at gmail). I've been in that place before (hello, a 5000-words chapter a year for 5 years!) and I know the feeling. There's never enough energy, or something better/more fun/more urgent to do. And I won't say hearing about how Monty worked didn't make me feel ashamed of myself.

My personal tip: Set yourself a place and time to write. For the past few years, I've spent every friday after work (I work for a jewish company, so short fridays) at an all-you-can-eat sushi place. Just me, my laptop (A weak thing that can't play games) and all the food I can get. I'm there for around six hours every time, with nothing holding me back or better to do.

It's helped enormously. I don't have to think of cooking, work's done for the week, and the weekend hasn't started. Just write. I don't succeed all the times, but the only reason I have chapters in the last six months is because of that place.

Maybe a restaurant is out of your means, but set yourself a place like that. If having a computer is too much distraction, write everything manually (there's an author at one of the writing session I go to whose first drafts are all hand-written. She has four books out and six more coming out). Set yourself a time and place where you won't be bothered, and where it would take more effort to back to other stuff than to continue writing. It's worked for me, maybe it'll work for you.

And don't knock yourself down too much. You've already started stuff, that's better than a lot of people.

Be hearing from you.
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.
I'll admit, Shay, I've been in a very similar space. I've long envied the ability of some people to crank out thousands upon thousands of words of terrific story.

Up until recently, I'd never really -tried- to write anything significant. I'd done a few spamfics, snippets and scenelets, but that was about it. I could imagine scenes in my head, but not really create complete stories.

Getting involved with Fenspace was one of the things that helped push me along with that. I got into writing - again, small pieces, but longer than anything I'd written before - for the "Candle in the Dark" storyline. I had fun collaborating there, and I'd like to do more of that.

Recently as some of you have seen I started work on my own story, here in this forum. It's been -hard-, especially as I start getting into an action episode. Sometimes the words flow freely. Sometimes it seems like my muse is grudging every sentence. But so long as we each keep plugging along, we can do it.

I'd love to take a look at your work.

One thing I've noticed is, I do seem to be good at the -technical- aspects of writing, as compared to the -creative- aspects. If you need a copy-editor to help clean it up, well, Wolfboy knows what I can do in that field.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Amen on that, ECS is marvelous for taking the semi inventive crap I have turned out and shellacking it into gold plated awesomeness. I myself hit those times when my muse either takes a holiday or goes "Ooh shiney, SQUIRREL! " and I completely lose what I've been working on. It passes you just have to be patient.

Thanks, everyone. It's good to be posting here again.

I'm sending Bob and Seraviel an email, and ECS a PM. Feel free to respond in kind, or in this thread, whichever.

Warning: I have no grasp of pacing. Also, I misremembered how much I had written -- it's actually more than 15,000 words. I must've gotten my mental wires crossed with For the Future. Apologies.

Pronounced "shy guy."
Saw your email this morning before going to work, but didn't have an opportunity to actually read it or save it to my thumb drive to take with me. I'll give it my attention tonight.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.