Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Can it be robot time now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was going to hold off on this until I had the partner figure done, but I'm also trying to see if there's image hosting problems. This is a toy-style design for a Godmaster (sold as Powermasters in the US with a rather different body of lore) that also turns into a miniature vehicle like the more recent Minicon toys, rather than just a human and an engine for the full-size robot body. The robot is oddly positioned because I just pulled it out of the cockpit of the larger toy being built around it.

[Image: eBMYNym.png]
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Oh, I forgot to post updates here... Well, I finished the larger toy this goes with (Raceknight) and a couple of Targetmasters called Voulge and Sprawl. They aren't in the stills, but you can see them in the animated render. Color scheme changed as well, which should come as little surprise.

spoiler tagged for huge images

--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Which is the best color scheme?

[Image: NmSq3C6.png]

I like pretty much all of them and have been jumbling them up as I cut up the shell into all the parts to transform, but keep waffling over a final version, with the Sunbirds style one in the middle of the left column slightly ahead on account of being what I started cutting up.

I turned a few to show the top/side/front profiles, and one with the leg/tail parts removed for the general outline of hybrid/GERWALK mode. All of those are no-cockpit drone/Merge style ones as it turns out, though I'm making it so the nose parts can be swapped to have either one.
--
More pictures, just because I have them.

[Image: rCpUhre.png]

[Image: bjzDzn6.png] [Image: dTbKKV8.png]
This is currently colored for the Thorny Roses at the bottom of the middle column, which should make the arms and upper legs the dark green, while the lower legs and feet have the go-faster stripe colors.

I added some to the underside also, because otherwise the backback was just too plain (see the far wing.) It does look kinda funky in fighter mode though, so I might find some other way to go.

[Image: xIDHvd2.png]
--
so far I'd say the green and gold one in the far left column
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
[Image: xr5GTDS.png]

As you can see, the head is more Transformers style than Macross-y, and ended up having a strong Art Deco feel to it, which is fine with me because if I had to pick a single art style to be my favorite that would certainly be it. It also mostly settled the color question in favor of pastel yellow and golds with charcoal and light grey for the secondary parts, and blue or red/orange for the glowing accents, though I might yet desaturate the brights into beige and taupe.

Although I do also like the floral look from the greens and pinks of the previously posted images, like something Technomagic Space Elves might fly. Emerald green tones are also a Deco thing, so not out of the question for the main color with the grey secondaries also.

I'm also loving that it doesn't look like it transforms at all, which is pretty much the ideal for robot modes. A toy-savvy fan might look at the hollow backs of the legs and be suspicious, but the tailless fighter form and using e-pools with "gravitic thrusters" as one of the portfolio items besides various forms of blasty and bendy lazor lets it avoid having any recognizable robot parts as a fighter, or fighter parts as a plane singe even the "wings" at the shoulders are thick and chunky, and look more like the ornamental ones you see on a lot of designs (especially TFs, where "door wings" are an old tradition) or part of a jetpack - and indeed, in case of catastrophic damage or malfunction the entire wings/tail section can be jettisoned with no immediate impact on robot mode functions except the loss of the e-pools and the long term operational endurance provided by the wings' large capacity for consumable supplies.
--
Hey Star Ranger, you mind being a used as a cameo pilot for the squadron? I'm running low on creativity for call signs...

[Image: 4m8f7iy.png]
Light yellow is Miranda Rockwell, Sunbirds One, the darker yellow/orange at top right is Taiga Yuri (family name first), Sunbirds Two, the two largely inseperable since their first day at the Academy and easily mistaken for identical twins despite being from different planets. Or possibly reversed, depending on which version of the scheme I like better on the final transformable, which is somewhat visible if mostly in shadow behind S1.

Blue is Easy (because she makes it look easy, gets a little too excited in combat and treats "take it easy" as an order to attack, and as teasing for being the least likely member of the squadron to hook up for a one night stand,) with wingmate Screamer (tends to yell "Yeehah!" on launch, just as crazy in combat, most likely to keep everyone awake on liberty if the hotel doesn't have good soundproofing) in red.

Princess Leia in purple (Girly girl, solid fighter, had to be rescued once but will never live it down) and Poison Ivy in pink (with a green underside/seconary colors, unlike the greys of the rest) (specializes in doing weird stuff with the programmable energy attacks, like binding tendrils or mimicking an acid/poison with a persistent damage effect rather than just a blast or burn that hits and is done, and some kind of plant animation and control effect that so far has the experts baffled and seems to be specific to that formulation of focus crystal - some of that developed after exposure to/inspiration from the old Batman comics with the character whose name she got stuck with as a call sign)

Black and White are King & Knight, and the only details I have on them are that they're guys and are mid-high ranked competitive chess players.

Green I'm hoping will be Star, since it's the 4-color version of the scheme he liked before and I know that's his colors, with brown or grey as wingmate (no ideas, though if SR has a stock buddy like Yuri to my Macross Triangle Frontier pilot Miranda I'd happily include them as well. Insert puppy dog eyes here. Note that this is explicitly not set in Macross, but the characters can know of it as fiction just like Star Wars and Batman.) If not, these two will be Needle and Pinecone in green and brown, or colors for the generic mooks that fill out battle scenes.

The other one of brown or grey is an unassigned backup unit, in case one of the others is damaged or downchecked for some reason and they need to deploy anyway.

At 2/3 throttle and above, the main drive array at the back of fighter form leaves a ribbon of its characteristic color behind it like the drive trails in Macross F. This is bad for tactics but good for visual appeal, so I set it to only happen at high speed - and in combat, they'll be surrounded by glowing energy shields and spitting out beams anyway, so it really doesn't cost that much in terms of tactical advantage to have a tracer streaking after them at the top stops.

Not that I'm writing a fic or anything, I just like to have these sort of things sorted out in my mind...
--