Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Does this ring a bell for anyone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The vague memory of a fic from long ago bubbled up in my mind last night, and now I'm curious about finding it again.  I'm hoping someone will recognize it from the very abbreviated description I can give from that memory:
Harry Potter fic, Hermione-centric.  Hermione is a homeless orphan with, as best as I can recall, some native grasp on her magic before her Hogwarts letter arrives, as she is able to make a childless couple masquerade as her parents when McGonnagal comes calling to demonstrate the existence of magic.
More than that I cannot remember.  Is that enough for anyone to identify the story?
Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
It wasn't Hermione-centric, but I believe Obsidian Warlock's More Equal Than You Know has a Hermione whose parents died in a car accident and who used crude mind magic on some passing muggles to fake parental supervision during a Diagon Alley trip. The reason she was so nuts over school is because she was desperate to graduate before she ran out of money and wound up homeless. http://fanfiction.portkey.org/profile/15353
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
Hm. That might be it -- a quick scan of the first couple chapters doesn't reveal anything that sparks my memory, but I'll go back and reread it closer and see. Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.