Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [RFC] World List for Garrick Grimm (Being You Is...)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, I finally broke down on two fronts.
One: I decided to go ahead and cut my list down to fifteen worlds, with a caveat for two 'stumbles'.

Two: I've decided that I want to go ahead and share the list with everyone.
  1. Tenchi Muyo
  2. MLP:FiM
  3. Macross
  4. Firefly
  5. Pokemon
  6. Katanagatari

1. AIR (Stumble)
  7. Utawarerumono
  8. Sailor
    Moon
  9. Kill
    la Kill
  10. Battle
    Angel Alita
  11. Banner
    of the Stars

1. Forgotten
      Realms (Stumble)
  12. Star
    Wars
  13. Diebuster
  14. Melody
    of Oblivion
  15. Puella
    Magi Madoka Magica
So, you guys already know about the first three...

Other fun things I have in mind...

In Firefly, didn't the Serenity lose one of it's shuttles at some point in time? Methinks a Valkyrie would fit into one of those bays without too much fussing around.

In Pokemon, Garrick finds a soulmate.... the oddball thing is that she's a pokemon.

In Katanagatari, Garrick meets a woman named Yasuri Nanami.  Yes, there is definitely going to be bloodshed and feels.

In AIR the scenery doesn't change...  But Garrick leaves with a few passengers, and a thousand-year curse to fix.

In Utawarerumono.... Garrick thought that just dealing with harem-shenanigans on its own was a handful...

In Sailor Moon he assumes the guise of a humble teacher... at least until he notices things are not quite as they ought to be.

In Kill la Kill... let's just say he's still a teacher.  Oh, and those 3-Star uniforms are pretty damn nice, too.

Battle Angel Alita...  Last Order...  Need I say anymore?

Banner of the Stars...  The Abh will be at their wits end in trying to figure out what to do about him.

In Forgotten Realms, the Spider Goddess, Lolth, captures Garrick while enroute between worlds (thus that world is a stumble) and winds up in the company of a set of all-too-curious twin Drow girls.

In Star Wars, the galaxy is going to burn - and the Jedi Order will likely do so along side it.  What can Garrick do, though?

In Diebuster, can Garrick help the Littlest Gunbuster save the Sol System?

Melody of Oblivion.... This is just gonna be bad, no matter how you slice it.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: End Game

So, what do you guys think?  I'm kinda torn over which world is actually worse off - PMMM or Melody of Oblivion?  Reason being that I want the last world to have the biggest Holy Shit factor possible.
Black Aeronaut Wrote:So, what do you guys think?  I'm kinda torn over which world is actually worse off - PMMM or Melody of Oblivion?  Reason being that I want the last world to have the biggest Holy Shit factor possible.
Well, that depends on (a) how many passengers Garrick still has at the end, and (b) how many of them contract with Kuubey with the wish of "get Garrick home"...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
He'll have a few passengers. But they won't be of the sort of temperament that Kyubei can take advantage of. Also, Garrick will know Kyubei's game from the get-go.

Besides, Garrick will have one primary rule that everyone has to follow:

No is allowed to die for him. He doesn't want that on his conscious, and there'll be enough blood from his enemies to pave the way home anyhow.

Besides, Melody of Oblivion is supremely crapsack. Not only are the Monsters pretty much without number (it's never even hinted at how many Monsters there are), but the Monsters also got the majority of the population openly supporting them. It might almost be best to just let that world burn, but the people don't quite get how monstrous their overlords really are. (Seriously, the Human population know they're Monsters and they're even known as such - revel in it, even. But in this world Humanity has become so short sighted they can't see the true nature of the Monsters. Scary, huh?)

PMMM, on the other hand, has an world-wide army of girls cursed to become the very horrors they fight against, and one almightily powerful horror is about to lay waste to a good portion of the planet. The Collectors, in the mean time, are just gonna count it as a setback and move on to another planet to rape. (Garrick: "Urge to kill: RISING!")
... maybe it's just me, but I find Battle Angel Alita to be worse than either MoO or PMMM - if only because in Alita, we've done it to ourselves, without any meddling aliens/supernaturals to blame it on.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Well, the situation in BAA is not entirely hopeless. At the very least, it's not as bleak as MoO or PMMM, because even under Aga Mbadi's iron fist, Humanity as a whole would persist... It'd just be a very twisted existence. (The difference between this and MoO is that the Monsters there want to keep humanity bottled up as live stock, while in BAA they're still looking at the possibilities of extra-solar colonization.)

Also, I like the idea of Garrick Grimm teaching Lafiel the Panzer Kunst. She wouldn't have much use for it, her being groomed to be a line officer and eventually an Empress, but she would definitely appreciate the aesthetics and the challenge.
I suppose that's as good a reason as any to put BAA in a middle position on the list, though if teaching Panzerkunst is an option then it would really be awesome in Star Wars, both for going through battledroids during the Clone Wars and for dealing with Stormtroopers and Walkers if they still end up with a Rebellion/Galactic Civil War afterward.

I differentiate between the two, as my impression is that the parties genuinely involved in the Confederaton side of the Clone Wars just wanted a position of strength to negotiate a better position for themselves in the Senate, whereas the Rebellion wanted to overthrow the current government and reinstate the Republic model after Siddy got himself declared Emperor. OTOH, getting rid of Count Dookie early and rooting out the Emperor's other moles to implement a smooth transition that hooks up the parties who want to oust the Emperor and return to representative rule with the Feddie forces before they get too smashed by betrayal from the top could make for a very different end to the whole shemazzle.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Oh, man, CD!

My brothers have been discussing that one to death!

Basicly, the working idea (for the time being) is that when Garrick arrives, he does so on the doorstep of Darth Plagus - Sidious's master - who was a far more reasonable Sith Lord if my brothers are getting their facts straight. Plagus wanted to do away with certain things like The Rule of Two and work on bringing back other things like Sith Alchemy and Sith Healing. Garrick, though, would want to go even further and bring things back to the way they were before the factions of the Jedi and the Sith even existed, using examples such as Revan to go by. The idea is that by working in conjunction with Plagus, Garrick would organize the controlled implosion of the Jedi Order (not a pogrom by any means, but definitely a purging), and lay the ground work for a true order of 'Gray Jedi'.

The real trouble is going to be that the Spider Goddess has followed along, and sees an entire Galaxy rife with the potential for conflict, strife, and utter chaos in a way that just tickles her so. You can imagine how badly this can go.
Just rereading this while moving threads into the new subforum... I am suddenly looking forward oh so very much to Garrick and gear showing up in Firefly.
Man, it's been a while since I've seen this thing....  There've been some changes...

Quote:Collection 1 - ...And Am I Not Man?
He was just a man.  A broken, hollowed out husk of a man with no hope and no future.  That is, until he suddenly finds himself a guest of the Masaki Household and quickly becomes family to them... and then it is all ripped away.

1. Tenchi Muyo 
    (Being You is Suffering)
  2. MLP:FiM
    (Being You is Magic)
  3. Macross
    (Being You is Deculture)
  4. Vandread
    (Being You is Diplomacy)
  5. Pokemon
    (Being You is Foraying)
  6. Katanagatari
    (Being You is Subversive)
    ---Interlude: Taint of the Spider Goddess
  7. Utawarerumono
    (Being You is Transformative)
Collection 2 - The Halcyon Days
Garrick has reunited with his family, and at long last the nightmare is over.  With his budding clan and retinue, little is able to stand in his way, and what follows are halcyon days of great feats, the spreading of love and friendship, and finding new companions to join in on the journey.  (Note that these are in no particular order!)

(s = short story; n = novella)
  1. (s) AIR
  2. (n) Worm
  3. (n) Infinite Stratos
  4. (s) Shomin Sample
  5. (n) Bakemonogatari
  6. (s) The Irregular at Magic High School
  7. (s) Durarara
  8. (s) Tora Dora
  9. (s) Accel World
  10. (s) Samurai Jack
  11. (n) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
  12. (n) Nagaserete Airontou
  13. (s) Portal/Half-Life
  14. (n) Freedom
  15. (n) Darling in the FRANXX
  16. (n) Negima!
  17. (n) Firefly
  18. (n) Bubblegum Crisis
  19. (s) Kill la Kill
Collection 3 - A Lonely Road Home
The unthinkable has happened.  Garrick has been ripped apart from his family and friends once more, and this time he does not even have Katherine to keep him company.  No tools, no vehicles, no C-Space.  But what he lacks in resources he will now make up for in absolute raw power.  He can now create a second Lighthawk Wing.

1. Strike Witches
    (Being You is Striking)
  2. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
    (Being You is Educational)
  3. Sailor Moon (Crystal)
    (Being You is Curative)
  4. Battle Angel Alita
    (Being You is Legendary)
  5. Banner of the Stars
    (Being You is Safeguarding)
  6. Space Battleship Yamato
    (Being You is Starfaring)
  7. Diebuster
    (Being You is Titanic)
  8. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    (Being You is Apotheosis)
Yep.  Lotsa changes.  Also, I'm toying with the idea of redeeming Ai Tenchi Muyo by having Garrick show up in the right universe at the very end... but at the wrong time frame, and so he winds up rescuing the little princess Ai and her erstwhile bodyguard.
Well, I have to say I like the new list better than the old, and not just because Strike Witches is back in. I need more X-11 in my life, but the mixed chocolate sampler of stuff in the middle has several interesting ones as well, and a few I've heard of at best but have no handle on otherwise.
Strike Witches is going to be very VERY interesting because the way I have it set up now, Garrick is gonna arrive there with little more than the clothes on his back. Also, pissed off and heartbroken because he's just been separated from his family again...

...But he's not going to give up. He was reunited with them once. He will be again, come hell or high water.
(08-02-2018, 01:06 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: [ -> ]Strike Witches is going to be very VERY interesting because the way I have it set up now, Garrick is gonna arrive there with little more than the clothes on his back.  Also, pissed off and heartbroken because he's just been separated from his family again...

...But he's not going to give up.  He was reunited with them once.  He will be again, come hell or high water.

And conveniently for Garrick, those Neroi over there just volunteered to provide stress release... Big Grin
Eh... What I'll have happen is that Clay basically happened... But as a final fuck-you, Garrick will do something that screws Clay over, probably because he just then was able to manifest a second LHW.   It will be such that Garrick is able to take at least some grimm satisfaction (Hah!) that his ladies will be able to finish off the bastard.

Though he will certainly deal with the Neuroi, quite happily.  But once the X-11 shows up he'll start treating it as a first contact scenario.

Garrick: "Jeeze, you're godawfully adorable for a construct."  *Headpats X-11*
X-11: *Does the 'Senpai Noticed Me!' wiggle.*
(insert a manly sound of excitement that in no way resembles a schoolgirl squee here)

All my Smile Smile Smile
Come to think of it, I don't think that there's any place better than Strike Witches for Garrick to wind up at immediately following his being dispossessed. Reason being? The Neuroi can probably fulfill a lot of functions that Garrick's C-Space used to.  Really, given what they are, I can see absolutely no reason why they can't do pockets of holding and other nifty things like that.

Additionally..... Heeeee... I think I'll save the surprise for later.
Addendum:

When you step back and look at it, the Neuroi as a whole truly are a marvel and a wonder unto themselves.  They are a race of sophont machine intelligences that somehow evolved in the wilds without any real interference from any other species until they became a starfaring race.  And even then, they likely had very little contact with other intelligent species as, being an obvious race of inorganics, had very little interest in life-bearing worlds.  In fact, worlds that had things like atmospheres with corrosive gasses, e.g., oxygen, would probably scare them off in all actuality.

And so things would stand.

That is, until, they discovered Mana - an energy source that seems to completely and happily anal-rape the laws of thermodynamics.  It can be used, and then captured once again, and re-used as much as you please.

However, it seems that only life-bearing worlds that they previously avoided seem to possess this energy.

So, they've been at this for a while, seemingly sucking planets dry of Mana, and in the process leaving them devoid of life.  The Neuroi thought this was only natural.  It's logical to assume that each world would have a finite supply of this energy.  But what they do not understand, or rather, what they have forgotten to do was to experiment further with Mana.  But they can be forgiven for this since they haven't really come to understand - even though Mana can be recycled, living organics are capable of still generating more of it over time.  It is through this process that planets can recover from terrible conflicts that leave entire countries ravaged.

However, the Neuroi have been completely extinguishing life on the worlds they come across.  They don't even see them as being intelligent.  They process information too slowly, and their behavior seems parasitic in many cases.  They're merely pests to get rid of.  And in doing so, they kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, and they don't even realize it.

But that all changes when they get to Earth.  The advanced survey group that discovered the planet encountered the usual resistance.  However, the investigative party sent in to perform a full survey of the planet encountered far greater resistance.  The implements were very crude.  However, the materials used had improved dramatically.  Instead of bronze, now there was steel - actual, high-carbon steel that when used with enough force could actually hurt them!

But there was precedence.  Such things had been seen a time or two before.  But usually when the harvester hives come in, everything is dealt with in a timely manner.

However, that wasn't the case.  By the time the hives had shown up, this infection... had evolved.

Machines.  They made their own machines.  Crude.  Very crude.  But potentially dangerous to them.

An all-out extermination of such a virulent and pervasive infection would require a phenomenal amount of resources.  So instead, it was decided that a heavily reinforced expedition to establish a beachhead was best.

And then came the biggest shock.  They retaliated by building machines that utilized mana.

One hive, though - one that was tasked with learning about this infection and developing better ways to combat it - started returning strange results.  They began to regard the infection not simply as an infection, but suspected them of actually being intelligent.  They were sternly reminded that it was not their job to determine the nature of the infection, simply to defeat it more efficiently.  But the rumors began to spread throughout the network, and this one hive was deemed dangerous.

The last straw was when it began to attempt to communicate with the infection.

Unacceptable.  Illogical.  Aberrant.

And then there was That One.

The One that seemed to produce an ebullient, never-ceasing flow of mana.

The Breaker.  Unmaker.  Destructor.

That One was the beginning of the end as they saw it.  But in all reality, it was a change - a transformation as Neuroi came to realize what the truth was... and what possibilities could be realized...
(08-01-2018, 08:28 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Just rereading this while moving threads into the new subforum...  I am suddenly looking forward oh so very much to Garrick and gear showing up in Firefly.

Just remembered that you said something about this and I'm only now thinking about it.  D'OH!

Anyhow, it's going to be even more interesting because Firefly will be part of the Halcyon Days story arc where Garrick will be the lord and master of Clan Grimm and the battlefortress city ship, SDF-2 Dani California (I'm actually playing with the idea that they wait until they get to Garrick to re-christen the ship so that way we can say that it was his idea).

The organization overall is going to be interesting.  For one thing, they're going to do away with that cumbersome Rear Admiral Lower/Upper Half malarkey and instead just have Rear Admiral as the Two-Star rank, and bring back the official rank of Commodore as the One-Star Rank.  With this, you can have an actual Admiralty-level flag on an SDF whose position in the chain of command is unmistakable, and additionally have the authority to command the rest of the fleet elements that would nominally accompany an SDF (carriers, landing ships, battleships, cruisers, destroyers, etc).

Also, Garrick won't quite have direct command over everything.  That is mostly going to be the job of Commodore Misa Hayase and the duly elected Mayor of 'California City' (rolls off the tongue really nicely).  (Also, not sure yet who that person will be, but I'm certain it will fall into place in due time.)  Instead, there is going to be a council, very much like the 'Shadow Cabal Council' they had back on the SDF-1, only it's a known and officially acknowledged governing body.

In essence, putting this into terms I best understand, it's like Garrick will have executive powers similar to the President of the United States, except that he is not the Commander-In-Chief of the military.

Instead, Garrick will have his own small personal force - his own House Guards, nominally commanded by Minagi; these are to act as personal guards not only to Garrick, but all of his direct family members.  Yes, this is every bit as much of a lifetime commitment as it sounds, which means that Clan Grimm is going to have several Cadet Houses closely interwoven with the Main House.  And I mean that literally.  Anya Amake Jurai is going to be Garrick's shadow whenever Minagi is not available to do so herself, and yes, that means that she will sometimes be sleeping with him.

(Long term?  I'm planning on having it that for a very long time, Clan Amake has no males born to them, and the clan essentially fades out, while Anya's line will carry on the name, but solely as a Cadet House of Clan Grimm.  The irony of this will not be lost on her, and she will derive a great deal of schadenfreude from when she introduces her ailing father to her own son, the last male to hold the name of Amake, sired by her master, Lord Grimm.)

Additionally, there will be a small military force for carrying out "The Lord's Whim", and commanded by-and-large by Achika (Naturally).  Though 'small' is going to be a rather relative matter in this case.  This is not to say that it's an unwieldy force.  The Naval portion consists of a Fast Battleship, an Escort Carrier, two Cruisers, a Destroyer Squadron, two Subspace Attack Boats, one Subspace VLS Boat, and one Subspace Landing Assault Boat.  For small craft, there is a small squadron of Valkyries consisting of VF-4G Lightning III Valkyries.  Additionally, there are a pair of VB-6 Konig Monsters to provide remote artillery support.  The Valkyrie squadron and Monsters perform double-duty as ground attack forces, backing up the battalion-strength troop force.

However, there will be a second Valkyrie squadron that will be outside of Achika's direct command.  This is Lord Grim's personal squadron and it is a very interesting beast.  Pilots are selected by nomination by the current pilots of the squadron.  These nominations are then passed up to be reviewed by Garrick's Wives in special Family Council meetings, with the final selection being made by Garrick himself.  The pilots have an incredible degree of freedom in managing their ground crew and Valkyries, being able to decide on what sort of Valkyrie they wish to use, how their ground crews are managed, and what types of loadouts they sortie with.  This makes Garrick's personal squadron an incredibly unpredictable foe to wrangle with, bearing more in common with a group of pirates.... that is, if pirates had access to only the best equipment and technology known.

In this manner, Garrick's personal forces will be to the Dani California what the SMF is to the Frontier, and fighting against the combined forces will be like trying to take on a force of nature.

And this is not even getting into the SDF-2 itself.  It will be a production-model Macross-class ship, meaning that all the issues they had with the original Macross have been resolved with this ship.

And in Firefly?  It will completely dwarf a Tohoku-class Cruiser.  No, really.  I checked.  It's true.  A Tohoku is about 2500 ft tall (its longest measurement) and weighs in at 5.5 million tons.  The SDF-1 Macross?  Almost 4,000 ft from bow to stern and a whopping 18 million tons - more than three times heavier than a Tohoku.

And as if that alone won't make the Alliance collectively shit themselves in fear, a Tohoku Cruiser is only a mobile military base and nothing more.  It relies entirely on the craft it carries for defense, has relatively few weapons of its own and even less armor, and it's slow as hell.

The SDF-2 Dani California, on the other hand, fulfills all the same functions as a Tohoku, except that it is much larger, much faster, heavily armored, and armed to a fucking ridiculous degree, topped off with a beam cannon that can destroy every Tohoku in their fleet in one go if they happen to all be in the same place.  And to this is to say NOTHING of the attendant fleet that's tagging along with them.

The Alliance will never know what the hell hit them until it's all over.

And the crew of the Serenity... while they're gonna be wary at first, they'll take comfort in seeing that there's no sign of Alliance colors anywhere...  Though Book might find the slogan a bit daunting: "Ecce et flebitis"
"Read'em and weep"? Heh.
I was hoping that was a good version. The one I saw on another website said "Lege atque lacrima" which, when I put through Google Translate read as "The Law, and My Tears". Which I can understand. It is quite poetic in that way. But I didn't want to imply any sort of 'law', so I tried putting in "Behold and weep" and came up with that instead.

But in all honesty, I am curious as to which one is the better translation. Would anyone know?
Hm, well, I know "lacrima" refers specifically to the tears as in drops of water, but all I have for flebitis is that "phlebitis" is an inflamed vein, which is probably based on similar sounding roots rather than being actually related so closely. (phleb "vein" + -itis "inflamed") Apparently my google-fu is too weak to actually confirm one way or the other.
Quote:so I tried putting in "Behold and weep" and came up with that instead.
And putting what you came up with back into Google Translate gave me enough to figure out your intent. So I say it accomplished what you wanted.
Poking around a bit more, perhaps "Percipitō et flētō" which uses the future imperative forms? It feels like a better battle cry to me, too.
https://latin.cactus2000.de/showverb.en....=percipere
https://latin.cactus2000.de/showverb.en.php?verb=flere
You do specify Sailor Moon Crystal (which I know nothing about beyond what I can guess from the name) as the version Garrick will be interacting with, but any chance of the old anime's Doom Tree material making an appearance? Given that the whole problem for that plot was resolved when the ailien twins (and that typo just made me realize, they were named "Ail y Ann." Groan.) figured out they were feeding their giant space tree the wrong kind of emotional energy, Garrick should be able to set them straight right off.
Hrm.

Tempted to say no - Ail and Ann were something the shows writers threw in there to give the manga-ka a chance to catch up.

I'll think about it.
No pressure, it was just a thought. You've got quite enough on your plate to be getting on with already, I expect.
Pages: 1 2