Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Looking for a fic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
No, I remember "Old Soldiers" quite well, and that's not the bell tha's ringing for me. I explicitly remembered the father using the token of his daughter to keep focused while being interrogated, so I'm thinking I must have read this years ago and forgotten it.
So, once upon a time there was a Worm fic, which opened on Taylor (with her costume, but solo and possibly not having chosen a nom de guerre) dropping through a skylight to attack the Merchants, quite possibly as her first capescapade. It was the first wormfic I'd looked at, and the assumption of familiarity with the characters and setting left me unmoved; I'm pretty sure I didn't even finish the first post. It was pretty certainly before the original finished as I do recall a mod blitz on people spoiling the ending in story threads, and I'd have said it was even before I made an SB account in March 2008 but I don't think Worm had begun yet at that point.

If that's too vague to tickle anyone else's memory I'm sure I'll survive, I'm just curious about what I'd think of it now with more of the background information.
(06-08-2020, 10:00 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: [ -> ]I'd have said it was even before I made an SB account in March 2008 but I don't think Worm had begun yet at that point.

Pretty sure Worm started sometime in 2011, so yeah. Other than that, I can't be of any help, I'm afraid. Sorry.
(06-22-2018, 06:33 PM)Kilroy Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, this one has been frustrating me for weeks.
I am trying to find a short Harry/Hermione story that is about when Harry first laid eyes on Hermione: on a pre-Hogwarts televised quiz-bowl like academic competition. Harry talks about how a specific odor can act as a trigger for buried memories.
Does anyone know what its title or author is?
Thanks in advance.
I eventually found this. It's titled Smell Trigger, which is posted in the collection Story fragments and pieces by twilliams1797: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4670838/7/S...and-pieces
There is a Ranma / Sailor Moon story I have lost track of and maybe someone knows it. The Sailor Moon portion was based on the live action series.
An older Ranma was the reincarnation of one of the four generals and not under Beryl's control. He still had the curse and his female form was an actress and singer who was mentoring Minako. Mousse had become a well-known action film star. I believe there were a few scenes with a pair of US military officers based on Amanda Tapping's Sam Carter and Richard Dean Anderson's Jack O'Neill from Stargate. I think the characters were named with variations of the actor's names (possibly reversed).
Does this sound at all familiar? I would appreciate any pointers.

Kilroy
Sounds like Spoiled Brats by DarkFyre99.  Link to FanFiction.Net Mobile version cause I’m posting from my phone: https://m.fanfiction.net/s/4631579/1/Spoiled-Brats
(07-21-2020, 09:02 PM)Honorbridge Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like Spoiled Brats by DarkFyre99.  Link to FanFiction.Net Mobile version cause I’m posting from my phone: https://m.fanfiction.net/s/4631579/1/Spoiled-Brats

Yeah, that's probably it. Good story, wish they'd finish it.
(07-21-2020, 09:16 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-21-2020, 09:02 PM)Honorbridge Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like Spoiled Brats by DarkFyre99.  Link to FanFiction.Net Mobile version cause I’m posting from my phone: https://m.fanfiction.net/s/4631579/1/Spoiled-Brats

Yeah, that's probably it. Good story, wish they'd finish it.
Thanks to both of you.
OK, this is kind of a longshot. There was a fic, about two chapters of which were posted to the FFML, never saw it again. I had it saved in the email archive about three PCs ago so I have no idea if it's on any of the hard drives I still own and I'm not about to disaasemble ancient machinery that's been sitting in the basement for ten years to check. I'm fairly sure it was pre-2000, I am absolutely certain it's pre-2010.

It was a Sailor Moon AU, with Usagi as a student at a magic academy. Luna was her familiar (and also a demon she'd bound) and could take the form of a panther as well as cat and human. Setsuna was the Headmistress and considered Beryl and Mistress 9 to be peers and rivals rather than cosmic threats. Haruka and Michiru were her apprentices. There was also something about Usagi having to hide that she did Light magic.

Ring any bells for anyone?
Sorry, no.
Okay, here's one, challenge rank 9 for lack of surrounding detail:

Harry Potter fic. There's a scene where Harry's in a car with a friendly Muggle adult, a lawyer. Prompted by him, Harry gives him a single pound note as a "retainer" to invoke lawyer-client confidentiality on some matter.

That's it. I'm completely at a loss for the surrounding plot; all I remember is that scene.

Thanks!
Too difficult, huh?
I've seen something similar a few times, but I don't remember any titles either.
Since I'm trying to find examples for a proposed new trope at All The Tropes, I'll gladly take whatever you remember, even it's fragmentary.
It shows up almost every time a protagonist-allied lawyer gets involved in teen lit though? Well, hence the new trope page, I suppose. I'd suggest looking for AO3 fics that tag Ted Tonks being involved, and Quinn Calle for Wormfic. It's not the part of stories that really interest me, so I'm not surprised I can't be more specific.
(11-23-2021, 08:16 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, here's one, challenge rank 9 for lack of surrounding detail:

Harry Potter fic. There's a scene where Harry's in a car with a friendly Muggle adult, a lawyer. Prompted by him, Harry gives him a single pound note as a "retainer" to invoke lawyer-client confidentiality on some matter.

That's it. I'm completely at a loss for the surrounding plot; all I remember is that scene.

Thanks!
-- Bob

Is that one of those Fics that involve a Goblin/Wizard partnered law firm called Gripsack and Twist?
Okay, this one SHOULD be easy, since I'm sure it's recent and possibly still active - within the past couple weeks, maybe a month, I read a Star Wars fic, I think on AO3, where the MC (90% sure female) is inserted "too soon to train with Luke, too late to fight in the Clone War; just in time to ask Master Skywalker what to do, because they're inside the Temple."

Knowing she'll be too young to gain the skill and power to survive Order 66, she makes her peace with the idea of just enjoying the time in between as already more than she'd expected after dying in her first life, and... does... stuff? Lots of sneaking out of the temple to explore the city, and I specifically remember that she makes a point of interacting with the clones of the Coruscant Guard and discovers that some of them do know about the control chips, and that orders and procedures coming out of the Palpatine administration are kinda hinky, but can't talk about either matter due to the combination of the two. I believe that nosing around further to try to find proof of that stuff was where it left off at the time.

Any ideas?
Rean on QQ Wrote:That cadence and font reminds me of R. E. Morris

Unfortunately, Rean hasn't logged in in five years from the date on their profile page, and looking for the name they gave turns up several local and less so businesses, but nothing solid on books or fanfic that it might have been referring to. It sounds hilarious, though.
This one was a Danmachi fic, one I left sitting in a tab until I got around to reading the "whichever floor incident" in canon (24th? 27th? I'm not sure) referenced in the description. That too I don't remember verbatim, but the premise was that in the aftermath, Ryuu Lyon and Bell got a little too celebratory and she ended up preggers, with the story implied to be about them dealing with the results. I don't know if it was smutty or not since I never actually read it, and poking FFn for Danmachi fics with Ryuu in the character list and/or "sometimes" in the tile (I believe it was something like "sometimes I get a little carried away" but again, not sure) turns up nothing that looks all that close. I recall a cover image of Ryuu shooped to be holding a home pregnancy test kit thingy which is why I'm pretty sure it was on FFn, but I suppose it could have just been a linked or embedded image. Anyone have any ideas?
(01-14-2019, 08:32 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2017, 11:03 PM)Cobalt Greywalker Wrote: [ -> ] I HEARBY CHALLANGE...<cough>  OK, enough of that.  I have two, maybe three Harry Potter fics I have some memories of and I'd like to find them again (if they haven't been pulled from the net).

The first is one where Harry is a Metamorphmagus (or however it's spelled) and Tonks teaches him to switch genders.  Harry ends up pretending to be a French pen pal from the Triwizard, and in the great hall bitch-slaps Draco then complains about chipping a nail.

The second one I have good memories of is one where Harry introduces allergic reaction testing for potions, and has things like Snape no longer having greasy hair and much better attitude, and the Malfoy's no longer using a predefined recipe potion for veela looks and being much nicer in general.

The third one (which I think is part of the first fic) is where the Twins get Harry a coat with thunder elemental properties and with a bit of rubbing of arms/hands on the sleeves (static like) allows Harry to throw lightning bolts.  Maybe on Ron.

Did anyone ever come across any of these?  Because in rereading the thread I find I still want to read them.

And since it's been nearly four years since the last time I asked, has anyone rediscovered any of these fics? Or have they simply gotten lost deeper in the mists of history?
(10-13-2022, 07:54 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2019, 08:32 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2017, 11:03 PM)Cobalt Greywalker Wrote: [ -> ] I HEARBY CHALLANGE...<cough>  OK, enough of that.  I have two, maybe three Harry Potter fics I have some memories of and I'd like to find them again (if they haven't been pulled from the net).

The first is one where Harry is a Metamorphmagus (or however it's spelled) and Tonks teaches him to switch genders.  Harry ends up pretending to be a French pen pal from the Triwizard, and in the great hall bitch-slaps Draco then complains about chipping a nail.

The second one I have good memories of is one where Harry introduces allergic reaction testing for potions, and has things like Snape no longer having greasy hair and much better attitude, and the Malfoy's no longer using a predefined recipe potion for veela looks and being much nicer in general.

The third one (which I think is part of the first fic) is where the Twins get Harry a coat with thunder elemental properties and with a bit of rubbing of arms/hands on the sleeves (static like) allows Harry to throw lightning bolts.  Maybe on Ron.

Did anyone ever come across any of these?  Because in rereading the thread I find I still want to read them.

And since it's been nearly four years since the last time I asked, has anyone rediscovered any of these fics?  Or have they simply gotten lost deeper in the mists of history?

I've searched for the 2nd off and on since 2016. It was a short and completed. Never had any luck with it including tonight. I remember both of the others too. I'm almost certain I read the 1st and 3rd on a site that no longer exists 'thou they could have migrated. Anyway as much as I'm chiming in to say "I'm looking for these too" I have my own search request. 

DxD fic, likely a crossover, Rias and peerage takes Risers challenge way more seriously and the method Rias uses to beat Riser is such perfect control of her power of destruction that she tortures him with total sensory deprivation. Never mind. It's Lady of the Flies. I was just wrong about who the target for the attack was so I started my reread too late in the fic to find it at first.
A friend of mine is trying to recall the name of a fanfic site where people listed their recommendations. She doesn't remember the name, but it was active from the 90s to the mid-10s.
She recalls a red boxy border, with text in a white or possibly tan box.

Does anyone remember this site? Without the name finding it via wayback is a bit of a challenge?
That doesn't ring a bell, sorry.
(11-30-2022, 06:35 AM)drakensis Wrote: [ -> ]A friend of mine is trying to recall the name of a fanfic site where people listed their recommendations. She doesn't remember the name, but it was active from the 90s to the mid-10s.
She recalls a red boxy border, with text in a white or possibly tan box.

Does anyone remember this site? Without the name finding it via wayback is a bit of a challenge?
tl;dr - Could it be old memories of the FoxxDen/PlanetFurry Forums?

---

Actually, memories from my uni days of binging one particular set of sites are belatedly ringing a bell.

Back between '94-2001/2 and there abouts (Pre-Google/yahoo/alta-visa) find good stuff to read was hard. Search engines being in their infancy, I used to rely on USEnet, remembering my favourite URLs, which occasionally had new links to another site to look at on their link pages - which eventually evolved into site rings that became semi automated after a while, so people hosting a site could add their url into a database somewhere against particular subjects and chuck a plugin at the bottom of their webpages which would take you to another 'recommended site' in their 'ring'. I suspect most people here can remember those.

For a while I got into web comics and the web rings from those led me to fanfics of those webcomics. I wound up spending a great deal of time on some very active fanfic sites related to Sabrina Online (A furry comic strip by Eric Schwartz). The biggest of which were the FoxxDen and ZZStudios who basically took that universe and created their own massive multi novel length AU's. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was either FoxxDen's or ZZStudio's Forums that sent me to the Drunkards Walk, given the thematic link with Loony Tunes and other 'furry' associations.

The reason I mention any of this, is that for years, FoxxDen and its associated forums were all 'fox coloured' themed and one of the biggest sources of new fanfic recommendations of every sort I could find (until I landed here Smile )

I didn't know about Anime and fanfics for said anime until that point. Funny to think, I used to think all the Ramma 1/2 posts on USEnet were fanfics for Arthur C Clark's novel series of the same name - although I could never figure out why they kept adding the 'half' sign nor why the characters didn't fit the novels at all - I used to give up about a paragraph in, lol.

Anyway, possibly, your friend is thinking of the FoxxDen recomendation forum from back in the day? 

The sites and forums are all blue/gray themed now and kind of showing age with broken images everywhere - although it looks like the old story chapter pages still have the old tan/white background image. I just did a brief check for the first time in about 15 years - had to Google it, ironically.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9