Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: New Fic Recommendations vs. MechaGodzilla II
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Quote:Necratoid wrote:

Nonsensical fanon Akane is nonsensical and fanon.
Seriously, even in the fourth stage derivative of the English dubs she isn't tsuntsun.  Its pretty hard to argue she is even tsundere.
....  Really? ain't?
More on topic, K sai's got the right of it.  I intended to imply that the humor of the situation was merely Akane-Ranma style on the surface.  What makes it awesome is that there are much greater depths that are being plumbed in this story.  The author does a most excellent job giving the reader those wonderful bits of comedy relief.  They're like little nuggets of comedy gold hidden in the murky depths of character development.
Gotta be on the other side of this one, BA -- the Baka Song isn't exactly canon, any more than BDSM Princess Ayeka is canon Tenchi.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Herr Bad Moon

Sweet christmans, a Ranma fiancé argument in the Year of Our Lord 2014
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Eh, I'm not sweatin' it.
My take, honestly, is that she does have a bit of a short fuse, but it never helps that Ranma's a chauvinistic idiot.
But really, the whole damn story is littered with personal issues... so many that tripping over one of them can literally set off a chain reaction!  While it's amusing at first, it get's old very fast.  And I kinda take issue with that myself (HA!) because the plot goes nowhere... Well, I'll take that back, there is some development, but it's so slow that it makes Moby Dick look like a fast-paced adventure.

Really, I can do no better than to quote the Status Quo is God article on All The Tropes:
Quote:Though not entirely bound to the trope, Ranma ½'s only means of advancing its story appear to have been introducing new characters (possibly explaining its over time rather large cast), or having an existing character learn a new combat technique (usually to little lasting avail). Two of the story's main features, the relationships of the characters and the curses that some of them carried, remained set in stone despite the characters' many attempts to alter them one way or another. In fact, when the story got to the point where it had nowhere to go but to change, the series ended.
It's always been my one major beef with some of these anime... Status Quo is God sucks.
As for how that plays into interpretations of Akane... Well, if she never really changes, then what do you expect?  Granted, she may have (somewhat) come to terms with Ranma's peculiarities, but in the end she always has a mallet waiting in hammer space just for his head.

Soutern Cross

I've never watched the Ranma anime- and from what I've heard I'm glad I haven't. I have read the manga though, and it's pretty clear there that Akane's the best of a bad lot. If you're interested in what a Ranma/Kodachi marriage would really be like, then I can recommend Love-Honor-and-Murder by Lichan44, where Genma is bribed to ensure Kodachi gets Ranma as a husband, over Ranma's stenuous (and understandable!) objections. Several years later, Ranma's life is a living hell, until Akane becomes his student, and takes him to her house after he gets badly beat up by Kodachi. (Yes they DO end up becoming lovers, as this is a Ranma/Akane fic). All Ranma/Kodachi fans should read this, as it drives a kukri knife though the idea that Ranma & Kodachi could ever be happy together.
And here is another Ranma/Akane fic, the Batman/Ranma crossoverShadows-Over-Nerima, where Bruce Wayne adopted Ranma several years ago, and Ranma is Nightwing. Akane is still being pestered by Kuno & the hentai horde, at the secret bequest of Talia Al'Ghul, who apparently wants to recruit Akane for the League of Assassins. (And she wants to kill Ranma too, as not only as he interfering in her dumb plan, but she considers him an unworthy heir to Batman. Considering what an arrogant prick Damien Wayne turned out to be (remember Damien Wayne was the second Robin to be killed off) I say her judgement sucks."There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets"-Colonel VanHeusen , from "It! The Terror From Beyond Space"
I still have vague plans for a Ouran High School Host Club/Ranma 1/2 fic
that replaces Haruhi with Akane, and thus explore's Akane's character
when her luck with boys swings in the complete opposite direction from. 
Because frankly, Akane's two main love interests are Ranma, the macho, chauvinist martial artist with no social skills and a natural talent for stepping on her insecurities, and Ryoga, the cursed itinerant with hideous depression and mental health issues and who is gravely betraying her trust with the whole P-chan thing.
And these guys are a step up from the boys at her school. 
With that in mind, let's take the girl whose experience with boys is largely Kuno and his flunkies, and whose primary love interest can be accurately described as a "chauvinistic pig", and put her in a reverse harem series.
Edit: Oh, and a fic rec.  An Imago of Rust and Crimsion is a very nice story, unless you're utterly sick of Worm crossovers.
Quote:Azunth wrote:

Edit: Oh, and a fic rec.  An Imago of Rust and Crimsion is a very nice story, unless you're utterly sick of Worm crossovers.
I was reading that on SB for a while.  The author is one I usually enjoy greatly.  However, the slow reveal as Taylor worked out how to use her abilities was so slow that I lost interest before she got around to leaving the psychiactic facility.  Do things pick up later on?

----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
Same problem as Deadpan - Earthscorpion is a VERY good writer but the pacing this time got outrun my sheeing something shiny, and only moderate interest to begin with (because it's Earthscorpion going all-out on creepy, which meas it's VERY GOOD but creepy as fuck, at least as far as I ever got in it, and I'm not big on creepy/horrror stuff.)
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:Deadpan29 wrote:
I was reading that on SB for a while.  The author is one I usually enjoy greatly.  However, the slow reveal as Taylor worked out how to use her abilities was so slow that I lost interest before she got around to leaving the psychiactic facility.  Do things pick up later on?

Not really.  The plot's progressed, but the pace hasn't increased much.  The story is definitely taking the "scenic route"; very nice ride, very atmospheric, but taking it's sweet time going anywhere. 
Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
Same problem as Deadpan - Earthscorpion is a VERY good writer but the pacing --
I agree.  Tried ES's fics on and off over the years, and just when he achieves that epic feel from distinct images and you really want more story, he adds a random character or backstory myth and it goes on for 15000+ words.  The story you were so interested in never recovers.
Since this is the rec thread, I'll add what I've been into lately.  Some of it may have been rec'd before; rather I'd be surprised if it wasn't:
RBWY/Gamer (on spacebattle) featuring Jaune Arc by Ryuugi:  http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... ur.311394/
http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/p/knights ... ke-no.html  -- translation of the chinese light novel "Overlord" by Maruyama Kugane (has complete v1... also knights and magic on the same site is good too)
"Long Island" by TwoFeet, an RPG-type fanfiction about a VR game.  Its at http://japtem.com/fanfic.php under the alphabetized "Original Story" listing.  I recommend only browsing japtem if you have ad-bloc enabled.
http://kokopelli.nsns.fanficauthors.net ... the_First/
By Right of Conquest, A post-series Harry Potter fic that ignores the epilogue. Written by Kokopelli. Three chapters released so far.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
For those of you who read Shana The Short's The Eyes Have It back in 2012, there is a sequel being built for NaNoWriMo called Now You See It. If it goes anything like Eyes Have It, Shana will have a chapter a day for all of November.
Quote: For those of you who read Shana The Short's The Eyes Have It back in 2012, there is a sequel being built for NaNoWriMo called Now You See It. If it goes anything like Eyes Have It, Shana will have a chapter a day for all of November.

Wow! I totally forgot about this one, thanks for the reminder!
That asshole-doctor-with-a-good-heart always made me laugh. 
http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-28404-58 ... Xendra.htm
Xendra (Buffy/Xena)

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3712767/10 ... gent-Paths
Divergent Paths (Star Trek: Enterprise)

Uhh, Shephard? should those be in the updates thread rather than the New Recommendations thread?
Weird. I thought I'd put them in the updates thread. I must have had multiple tabs open and stuck them in the wrong one.  

http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-30826/ba ... d+Fear.htm
Nacht and the Cold Fear (Another Buffy/pulp adventure fic by Batzulger). 

Clell's released another silly little short that I find my self heartily approving of: Run, Harry, Run

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I'm always hesitant to recommend one of my own fics but I'm currently posting this year's NaNoWriMo project to a few places and since it's a fairly obscure source material I've decided to advertise a little. The source is Katherine Kurtz' Deryni novels.
War of Three Kings
For more than a hundred years the exiled House of Festil have sought to reclaim their former kingdom of Gwynedd. For just as long the House of Haldane have stood against the Festils who usurped Gwynedd from them and tried to hold a moderate course between their human subjects and the sorcerous race known as Deryni.
The lines have been drawn and armies are on the march. Three Kings are converging upon an obscure village about to go down in history as the Killingford.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Working As Intended (Worm AU): This story combines superhero melodrama with MMO forums drama to get what promises to be a goddamned hilarious tale of nerfing & buffing.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
BajaB has started on Harry the Hufflepuff 3, the continuing adventures of the world's laziest Harry Potter:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/10843543/1 ... s-Year-off

http://archiveofourown.org/series/22933
A Widow's Tale - a series by Mhalachai, wherein some of the Black Widow's backstory comes to the forefront, and goes to outer space.... WAY outer space.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
http://m.fanfiction.net/s/10807718
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/10807718

The Hogwarts Strike Team by Myracle is a Harmonian Peggy Sue fic, currently at 85k words and seven chapters, the last of which is set in the summer after First Year and can best be described without spoilers as "Where the Canon Train goes whooshing by into tot night on the other set of tracks." It's occasionally a bit gory, I woot, (Pre-timehax there's bad guys dying left and right, then the bathroom troll and later assassination of some Death Eaters) but less so than, say, playing Skyrim or the average gangster movie.

Also, Dumbledore is good and mostly competent but far less informed than some portrayals, so you don't have to sit through the usual moustache-twirling Stupid Evil cliches. It's probably not for everyone, but aside from preempting the Crapilogue with the premise of Voldilocks having played silly buggers with Britain's ley lines in ways that, whether it was his original purpose or not, ended up being a doomsday booby trap after his canon death. Somewhere close to a decade passes from the "Final Battle" to the end of Ch1, laying the groundwork for why extreme measures are needed and the stress of dealing with the problems to break up the canon couples.

It's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I find it a pleasant enough brew, and it avoids "soul bond" cliches as well despite having what could be the most valid excuse for them I've yet seen, in terms of justifying something along those lines with on-camera action.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Looks like The Raven Sennin has begun a rewrite of The Accidental Sensei

AO3 link:
http://archiveofourown.org/series/182669
--
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13