Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: So far so good...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just started up my new Vista box.... Kinda MEH atm but I haven't gotten around to customizing it yet.
Heck I haven't even Firefoxed it yet...
I know my current plans include CoH, Firefox, OpenOffice, and my freebie Graphics programs with my tablet.
I may be able to tolerate a week without my goodies until the Geek Squad Guy comes in to help us port over from the old box...
But Firefox and OpenOffice are REQUIRED so my folks don't freak out any more than usual at the sheer NEWNESS of Vista.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Kokuten

you've converted your folks over to Open Office?
COOL!Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Gah. CoH on Vista? What've you got for CPU and RAM? --
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Kokuten

CPU: Not Enough
RAM: Not Enough
< /rimshot >Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
CPU: faster than I had.
RAM: More than I had.
And the FUN of patching from issue 7/ Good vs Evil box...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll
I run Vista at work - I'm one of the testers. I also run CoH on that machine, in a Window.
When the *same* machine ran XP, I could run at 1280x1024 in a Window at reasonably high settings, and the game would run okay.
When I run it now in Vista, I have to leave it on the 'Performance' level in CoH, and even downgrade the render resolution slightly. I tried shutting off Aero when I was playing, but that actually slowed things down. Go fig.

I wouldn't run Vista on anything but a top-notch dual core processor, and 3GB Ram, 4GB preferred.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"

Kokuten

Quote:
I wouldn't run Vista on anything

Fixed that for you..
-WG, kidding.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Yeah, I see how craptastic it is for gaming. 4 fps is lame. I mean my system specs comparatively are like +50% better.
I had better performance on my old machine. I wonder if XP on this machine will be the bliss I hope it will...

-- James Nicoll
Welp. After paring down the dross, I got my CoH-ness back to pre-"upgrade" standard....
I am quite disappointed, really.

-- James Nicoll

CattyNebulart

your own fault for using Vista. Give it a few years to mature and for hardware to catch up with it.
Or switch to linux/wine, you might even see a net speedup, and CoH should work decently under wine.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Downgrade to XP. You can find copies cheap, and it's well worth the time and effort.
"Not this again!" Minerva said. "Albus, it was You-Know-Who, not you, who marked Harry as his equal. There is no possible way that the prophecy could be talking about you!" - Harry Potter and the Method of Rationality, Chapter 84