Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Quick Review: The Witcher (PC)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a game done by a Polish group based on a somewhat famous Slavic author's works. It basically tells the story of a monster hunter (called a Witcher - an amusing direct translation of the Polish word) and his adventures.
1) Graphics/Sound: The graphics and sound are *beautiful*. It uses the NWN2 engine, so be warned it eats CPU/GPU like candy.
2) Gameplay: Simple, but fun. Combat is done via timed mouseclicks, and it can often be a challenge since you have multiple weapons and combat styles to play with. There's some crafting and a frankly daunting level of character customization to be done.
3) Story: I've only played a few hours in, but it's fairly fun. They touch on some interesting elements of reality, including racism, religious intolerance, persecution, etc. There's also a fairly hilarious minigame in which you collect cards - one for every woman you sleep with. The Witcher, he is a player.

I highly recommend this game. My only gripe is that load times can be a bit brutal, but other than that, it's really fun and remarkably well done.
(Also, the Canadian Bilingual edition is missing a reg code needed to get extras off the site, but that's a regional-limited thing, and Atari addressed the problem in a day.)--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"