Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I think you guys are probably putting too much Undocumented Features into your Utena analysis.  In the original canon, Akio is almost certainly less powerful than Anthy, though he is a master manipulator.  Like, he's dangerous, but maybe only a little more dangerous than Harvey Weinstein.  If he got ahold of some real power, it would be another story.  But there are thousands of men just like him in the real world.

Touga, on the other hand, is very redeemable.  He really just fell in with the wrong crowd.  His first instinct is to play the prince, but his passions sometimes get ahead of him, and can be exploited.  You give him something real to be passionate about, and it will all fall in line.  Like, the Ohtori Student Council are all broken versions of their respectively colored sailor guardians.  If you got Touga Kiryuu in the company of Rei Hino for a week, he'd start shaping up.

OK I'm getting sidetracked, because yay Utena analysis, but I really do not trust myself to write the characters in it.  Especially Anthy.  I still don't really get her.  I asked a friend of mine what it was like living with a powerful abusive husband, and I still barely get it.  (He's one of those thousands like Akio, though.)  The thought process is still alien to me -- like how can a girl who ended up on national television later, let herself get into a situation that closed her world off?  I can't feel what that's like in my heart, and when I try, the thought that I want to be a prince fills my mind. Sad

On the other hand, the idea of adding the Art of Noise to this fic had crossed my mind. Smile  I still feel like Azalynn could anchor a story by herself, even without getting citric.  I am starting to think a little more seriously about the various Star Treks, though.  (Shatner, for one, would love to meet the real Kirk.)  Also going to start thinking about The Librarians and Nadia:The Secret of Blue Water.  Honestly, just gotta wait for the right plot idea to hit me.
(04-18-2018, 05:19 PM)Labster Wrote: [ -> ]...  I am starting to think a little more seriously about the various Star Treks, though.  (Shatner, for one, would love to meet the real Kirk.)  ...

Oh, there's a thought. Dartz already has Data at his IC's building - where are the rest of the Enterprise-D bridge crew?
I hadn't thought about adding them tbh.... Too many smart people to get away with doing dumb things.

I had thought about Data being Meg's replacement because Meg has clearly gone far too native..... or lacks the responsibility
I was thinking more that Labster's building needs men. Who would Riker approach first, Akira, Alicia, or Athena? Would Troi put up with that? How long would it take Aika to get annoyed with Wesley? Smile Would Geordi continue to strike out? And so on.
Actually, I think Riker might go after Sonomi first. Tomo may try thinking puns really loudly around Troi, just to see what happens. If you think about it, Wesley and Akari are actually kind of similar. And Geordi would have to be blind not to ask Yomi out.

OK maybe there is something there.
Hey Dartz? Is that thread, Status Report supposed to be a [BBS] thread? No worries, just wanted to make sure before I went in and fixed it.
Fixed it meself, thanks. Forgot to do that
(03-18-2018, 06:21 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: [ -> ]...
Up util Season 2, anyhow.  That will be when we start having entire fleets showing up, both in the sea and among the stars, and then later on towards the end of Season 2, entire freakin' interstellar empires.  Yes, the Metacontinuity is gonna be a HAPPENING place.  Wink

Riffing off of that...  Spoilered because this refers to some things that will be happening at the Halloween party, and because it's a little long.
EDIT: I've updated this because more characters - but only in my personal notes. This is almost how the scene will play out, instead of exactly how it'll play out.
Hmmm....

Question: Can anyone think of someone in fiction who'd actually and earnestly want to create some unreal estate? Because the idea of major cities that have towers built for The Word Fair (ie: The Tower of Americas in San Antonio and The Space Needle in Seattle) and being used like orbital traffic control centers just won't leave me alone.
(04-28-2018, 11:38 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm....

Question: Can anyone think of someone in fiction who'd actually and earnestly want to create some unreal estate?  Because the idea of major cities that have towers built for The Word Fair (ie: The Tower of Americas in San Antonio and The Space Needle in Seattle) and being used like orbital traffic control centers just won't leave me alone.

I don't know about anybody in fiction, but I'm pretty sure that the military would be interested, for reasons that we've discussed over in Fenspace with Grover's Corners.

As for how: Everything is showing up in the Metacontinuity; this would include James Blish's Cities in Flight. Because of some events left off-screen, the USAF gets their hands on a spindizzy. They discover "[t]his device grows more efficient with the amount of mass being lifted" the hard way while trying to launch something at Joint Base San Antonio - they overcharge the spindizzy and launch the entire city a few hundred feet into the air (really panicking the folks at Westwood and letting Washuu-chan get some good readings of a spindizzy in operation). Then somebody in authority who has an overinflated sense of theatrics and no understanding of logistics or diplomacy (yes, I am thinking of the current CinC) decides "as long as we've got a flying base, let's roof it over, make sure its Air Force bases are fully stocked, put it in orbit for a week, and really scare the bad guys." Then follows some of our buildings' residents shipping food (and fresh air!) to San Antonio because a city's combined civilian grocery stores typically have only 2-3 days of food in stock at any given time... You know, the plot just writes itself here.
Speaking of merchandising senshi (and not Senshi: The Merchandising, though that's another possibility), what happens to copyrights in this world?  Like for serious, could Akari Mizunashi sue for people merchandising with her image without her permission.  Does the author retain copyright even though it's based on the actions of people that will have happened 300 years from now?  Sorry, law geek here, but I'm just trying to get a glimpse how much social disruption all of this will cause.

While I'm waiting on my prereader, I've been starting to think about how to get a certain magical cardcaptor into my plot.  And... not having many ideas.  For once, I just want them to appear in West L.A., but I don't know how the meeting will take place yet.  It could involve Tomo with her manga knowledge.  Little known fact: Tomo reads as much as Yomi, just rarely anything educational.  Or it could involve Akari because
I should be able to work a little on Halloween now, though.  I have my first four casts picked and settled, so it should be easy enough.
(04-30-2018, 01:58 AM)Labster Wrote: [ -> ]
EDIT: And let's make that a bit clearer in the snippet. I'll edit it now.
(04-30-2018, 01:58 AM)Labster Wrote: [ -> ]While I'm waiting on my prereader
Sorry about that - a few things came up, including an issue with email. Expect something this evening...
Regarding copyrights...

Well, the moment a character's native setting manifests, it retroactively affects the timeline to seem like things have always been this way. That's how malleable the Metacontinuity is. So when 'Academy City' manifests, the previous timeline events will also be altered so that the 'Academy City' ward of Tokyo has been a thing for a while.

The real fun part is going to be combining this things so they mesh together well.
So there will be some people who will think that Academy City was always there, and some people who will notice and wonder WTF is this new city? Or is that somehow just us who notice? Otherwise, I worry about causality issues, which yeah, don't really have to be explained away from a setting point of view, but in terms of readers and authors following what is happening, keeping causality at least somewhat intact is generally a good idea.

Related idea: that one South Park episode where immigrants from the future keep "taking our jobs", but applied to dimensional migrants, and in the context of the 2016 U.S. elections. I know that when we started writing we weren't expecting 2016 to be the inflection point in history that it was in reality, but I have wondered what we should do with that in the context of our story. And, preferably without leaving Rajvik behind. If that's some sort of rewrite of who was running entirely, that'd be okay with me.

I realize that a liberal application of the MST3K mantra is appropriate here, but it's not quite enough unless it's consistently weird.
My response will be to laugh loudly and yell i told you so, in fact, give me a bit, I may have a morning after scene later, brain is percolating
In regards to causality, we (and our accompanying tennants) will be the only ones to notice because we're the ones not 'native' to the Metacontinuity.

But that will kinda change as more and more 'immigrants' come in. For example, the Jyurians are gonna be mighty surprised when a good portion of their Empire is cohabitated by a certain empire of space elves.

(Just saying it right now: Seto will fucking adore the shit out of Lafiel - she is exactly her kind of partner in crime: cunning, brutal, and competitive under a veneer of poise and elegance, but also with an incredibly passionate heart. She will sic her bachelorettes on Jinto just to get Lafiel by extension into the Royal Family.)
Aargh!

Labster, we both missed spotting a wrong word during prereading:
Quote:"I'm afraid not; how can I offer our only canal to trainees when Akira has a customer waiting?" Alicia gestured at me.
You have more than one canal - you only have one gondola.

(05-02-2018, 12:43 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: [ -> ](Just saying it right now: Seto will fucking adore the shit out of Lafiel - she is exactly her kind of partner in crime: cunning, brutal, and competitive under a veneer of poise and elegance, but also with an incredibly passionate heart.  She will sic her bachelorettes on Jinto just to get Lafiel by extension into the Royal Family.)

Are we sure it isn't Lafiel getting Seto into the royal family? Smile
Quote:Labster, we both missed spotting a wrong word during prereading:
Quote: Wrote:"I'm afraid not; how can I offer our only canal to trainees when Akira has a customer waiting?" Alicia gestured at me.
You have more than one canal - you only have one gondola.

Fixed.  Reminds me of Nathan Hale, "I regret that I have but one asterisk for my country."
(05-06-2018, 08:36 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2018, 12:43 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: [ -> ](Just saying it right now: Seto will fucking adore the shit out of Lafiel - she is exactly her kind of partner in crime: cunning, brutal, and competitive under a veneer of poise and elegance, but also with an incredibly passionate heart.  She will sic her bachelorettes on Jinto just to get Lafiel by extension into the Royal Family.)

Are we sure it isn't Lafiel getting Seto into the royal family?  Smile

Lafiel is a skilled commander, but she is not a politician by any measure.  For certain, she knows how to comport herself, and she knows of Abh politics very well.  However, she most emphatically does not know Jyuraian politics.  And Seto literally has THOUSANDS of years of experience.  There is no Abh in the history of the Abh that can even scratch the surface of Seto's prowess.  In fact, I suspect that Seto is even capable of utilizing (and not just weaponizing) Mihoshi's causality bending weirdness.

Once Seto sets her sights on Lafiel and Jinto, the poor girl will never know what hit her.

And regardless, Seto is no fool.  She'll understand fully that this is a two-way road.  In fact, this will more likely than not be part of her scheme.  Seto is definitely going to want a warm alliance with the Abh Empire.

What's nice is that I think that Abh sensibilities will mesh well with Jyuraian sensibilities.  Though I'm not sure what the Abh will make of the Jyuraian's custom of plural marriages.  But the Tree Ships are gonna fucking thrill these guys - both for the sheer scale of power and for the aesthetics.  And that's to say nothing about the gratuitous luxuries of a Tree Ship.

Oh, and I think that Tsunami will seal the deal by giving Jinto a tree.  Probably only a 3rd Gen, but only because Lafiel would get a 2nd Gen, and we all know who wears the trousers in that relationship.  :V
http://irregularwebcomic.net/3869.html

Today's comic is relevant to my plot, oh yes it is.

For the most part, though, I've moved into a brainstorming phase rather than a writing phase.
Writing megacrossover fic is weird. For this story I've had to look up Martian mineralogy, PT-boat construction, the location of Tokyo Disneyland, shirt collar styles, gondola boat licensing, anatid morphology, high school equivalency exams, words to describe the random colors in my head, and the latitude of Rovaniemi, Finland.
Welcome to my world in which I try to write Being Garrick Grimm and Dear Sweet Kami-sama, Why Do You Hate Me So?
There's a reason I have a dedicated DuckDuckGo search bar on my browser... Smile
You don't want to know the kind of things I find myself looking up for my stories, even when there aren't crossover elements. But yeah.
Sakaki's pet Maya presented an interesting research case. Importing her, or crossing state lines with her would be a violation of the Endangered Species Act, but there's no prohibition for having her under California law. At the time the ESA was enacted, Iriomote cats were not subject to ESA, but the leopard cat Felis bengalensis was on the list. Iriomote cats have since been moved into the species, with the new genus, as Prionailurus bengalensis iriomotensis, so they are now endangered species under U.S. law. But the species as a whole is ranked "Least Concern" by the IUCN, meaning that the species isn't endangered at all. Meanwhile, there are roughly 100 remaining Iriomote cats in the world, so the subspecies is critically endangered. The population is declining, due to auto accidents.

So Sakaki will not be violating any law by possessing Maya, but would still be guilty of violating a law beyond a reasonable doubt. So uh, she's a mixed breed? Maybe I can just rely on how President Aria looks (and acts) even weirder.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13