Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Portal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

HoagieOfDoom

Greatest. Puzzle game. Ever. SO much freaking fun and its more amazing than a lot of the games that have come out recently despite being less than three hours along. It's got humor and style in spades and an epic as all hell ending. Highly recommended to anyone.
"After the training, cake and grief counseling will be offered."*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The CAKE is a LIE!--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
"but there's no sense crying over every mistake/
you just keep on trying until you run out of cake/
and the science gets done and you make a neat gun/
for the people who are still alive..."

The ending is a cake made of win and love, with a heavy layer of awesome frosting all over it.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

HoagieOfDoom

"At this point in the testing, we can no longer lie. We must tell that, at the end of the testing, you will be missed."*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
You remember when we were about to murder you, and you were all like NO WAY?--

Kokuten

bump for cakeWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
I watched my roommate play this and even medicated to a near coma-like stupor in order to not not have my lungs fill with the mucus from my sinuses (GAH - allergy season FROM HELL) I was still laughing (PAINFUL laughing, but laughing none-the-less) at the Smart-Ass insane computer with the sing-song voice.
The puzzles are a-MAZE-ing, but it's the humor that really takes the cake!
Did we mention cake? At the end? There is a cake you know. Really.
I was just listening to Tom Lehrer's "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" and just had the image of him and the Portal Corp computer singing a duet...
And we'll all go togther when we go...
Gah... just... gah, I say.-Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------
I'm am now curious as to where one can find this game... it sounds quite interesting.Without a word...
It's part of the Half Life 2 Orange Box, on most store shelves, or if you want just it, I think it's $20 on Steam.
www.steampowered.com--
And just to ice the cake, I found a set of comprehensive and not-hard-at-all instructions on how to install and run the ENTIRE Orange Box pack on Linux (Ubuntu, to be precise, but it should work for most any mainstream Linux system). My 'Box just arrived yesterday, and I'm probably going to try the install this weekend, barring unanticipated work-related field trips.
(now if someone could just make this work for Halo 1,2&3, I'd be *set*)
PORTAL KICKS ASS.
Sorry, it just really needs the capital letters :-D
My new favorite song.
( massive spoiler )
stage6.divx.com/user/Crai...l-End-Song

The Hunterminator

There's something about a last boss that sings about being still alive that really makes me laugh a lot.
Okay, I only know this game through the odd report and review, and I still found that very funny. 10 points.-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The Hunterminator

"You will be baked, and then there will be cake"
Best line ever. Well, that and "I invited all your friends too, except you have none. Because no one likes you. It says so right here, in your personnel file. Unlikable."
Quote:
My new favorite song.
( massive spoiler )
stage6.divx.com/user/Crai...l-End-Song

Site that make Chris install plugins to watch their stuff makes Chris angry.--
The plugin works fine, its not like a real player crap plugin or something.

Its divx, any player that can play it can load these links.

video.stage6.com/1737119/
or
video.stage6.com/1737119/.divx
Video results may play wonky, but you should get the audio fine.
Eh. I just went to Youtube and put in "Portal End Song" and got a ocuple vids. Big Grin--

The Hunterminator

Ok, now I've seen everything.
Yahtzee
www.escapistmagazine.com/...unctuation
reviewed the orange box. Most of it it the standard humorous sweet and sour criticism but his words on Portal floored me. "I can't think of any criticism for this game."
I agree with him, of course. What floors me is the fact that a guy who is literally paid to blast games said that.
The thing about stage6, is its actually a divx encoded streaming site.
Youtube otoh, down-converts everything to .flv
Which means that divx has better quality, at almost the same bandwidth requirement. Divx codec just uses more cpu. Also, you can just go to those links I pointed out and save any video you like.
Stage6 has a lot more anime on it too :-)
...when you combine Portal and Half Life 2?
This.-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.