Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: To Anybody Who Hates The RIAA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Radiohead does too, apparently.
It's an interesting concept. If some of my favorite bands did this I would likely take advantage of it.
------------------
Epsilon
I'm looking at you E Nomine
Even though I'm not a Radiohead listener at all (not a taste or liking thing, mind you, I just don't think I've ever actually heard them) I'm of a mind to buy the album for a reasonable amount -- say $10 -- just to support the idea.
Oh, and this bit?
Quote:
"This feels like yet another death knell," emailed an A&R executive at a major European label. "If the best band in the world doesn't want a part of us, I'm not sure what's left for this business."
Wow. Someone in the recording industry who's not in denial. I wonder how long he'll be keeping his job...
(Edit: Fixed bonehead spelling errors caused by exhaustion.)-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Update: Apparently the unnamed executive quoted above has good reason to fear -- the response to Radiohead's new album has been so immense, it crashed their website.-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
From Howard "Schlock Mercenary" Tayler, on the Radiohead Gambit:
"In other news, what do you call a legion of the walking dead who are running out of corpses to feed on, and will drop into a ditch sometime in the next twenty years? RIAA."
--Sam
"Braaaaains."
Nine Inch Nails bails on the recording industry. Trent Reznor practically gives it the finger on the way out.-- Bob
---------
-- Bob
---------
Meanwhile, the British Performing Rights Society wants to outlaw playing your music loud enough that someone else can hear it. I kid you not. I wish I were....-- Bob
---------
-- Bob
---------

Kokuten

Trent has always had a bit of a "come here, son, so I can beat you" relationship with the recording industry. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
Meanwhile, the British Performing Rights Society wants to outlaw playing your music loud enough that someone else can hear it.
So do I.
... Well, okay, I'll settle for being legally allowed to beat people who play their music too loud. '.'
-Morgan. Okay, so, they probably mean it differently than I do. '.'"Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
Knowing a good thing when somebody else does it first, Oasis and Jamiroquai consider following Radiohead's lead...
(Who are Jamiroquai, by the way?)

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Here's a different article on Oasis and others,which I just slipped in to post.
Jamiroquai is a British "acid jazz" band that's been around since the early 90s, doing stuff with a funky and smooth sound. Their two biggest hits were "Virtual Insanity" and "Cosmic Girl", sometime around 95-96, but they've been releasing pretty much continuously for like 15 years or so. The lead singer is known for his trademark black felt "cat in the hat" hat.
"Virtual Insanity" is an old favorite of mine, and has a place of honor on one of my mix CDs.-- Bob
---------
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Even though I'm not a Radiohead listener at all (not a taste or liking thing, mind you, I just don't think I've ever actually heard them) I'm of a mind to buy the album for a reasonable amount -- say $10 -- just to support the idea.
I'll wait until there's some actual feedback on the album, since if it's anything like their past releases then just about the only reason for me to get it would be the support of this initiative.
What I've heard of their stuff just had no spirit, and wasn't nearly melodic enough to actually play the ballad card or unique enough to draw any attention.
Lackluster at best, annyoing repetitive moaning at worst.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Quote:
Jamiroquai is a British "acid jazz" band that's been around since the early 90s, doing stuff with a funky and smooth sound. Their two biggest hits were "Virtual Insanity" and "Cosmic Girl", sometime around 95-96, but they've been releasing pretty much continuously for like 15 years or so. The lead singer is known for his trademark black felt "cat in the hat" hat.
I thought they were Australian, but that may be just because they use the didjeridoo on a couple of their songs. They also did "Feels Just Like It Should," which got opted for a Motorola commercial for one of their MP3 player/phones. The commercial has a guy walking through a supermarket and seeing all sorts of musical references: Blind Lemons on sale, the Pussycat Dolls wearing shop aprons (and not much else), the little old lady at the checkout wearing a gangsta rapper grill, and so on.
I like Jamiroquai. They're funky.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Jamiroquai is also responsible for the song "Soul Education".
The first 30 seconds or so of that song were used as Gendo's theme in Eva Redeath.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
I was going to ask "why would anyone do this?", but then I remembered how difficult (near-impossible) it was to get to the website the first day...
Free Radiohead music pirated

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I can understand it, for the same reason as one of the comments on that article...
I'm not interested in buying music that I haven't heard. Nor will I 'purchase' it for $0, then do it again for some amount if I decide I like it. It just seems wrong.
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
---(Not really)

Ayiekie

Quote:
I was going to ask "why would anyone do this?", but then I remembered how difficult (near-impossible) it was to get to the website the first day...
If that were predominantly the case, you'd expect the pirating to rapidly drop off, but as said in the article itself:
Quote:
Eric Garland, Big Champagne's top cork told Forbes that in a few weeks the numbers of pirated copies will be even greater than the legitimate sales.
Even it stopped tomorrow, of course, you still are left with nearly half as many people who would rather steal it than get it legitimately for (if they wanted) free. This is a sobering statistic for artists who haven't already benefitted from the RIAA like Radiohead, and will be the recipient of distinctly less gushing media coverage for trying the same tactic (to say nothing of the fact that many of them, unlike Radiohead, will actually need the money).
I'm not sure that says much about this as a marketing tactic.
After all, it's likely that all their conventionally distributed albums were pirated in similar numbers. (It seems that copy protection never stops piracy, it only stops people who buy legal copies...) So I don't see how this would make things worse for anybody else trying to do the same thing.
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
---(Not really)