Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: CoC:DCotE ... sanity ... fading *glurg*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so last week or so, I walk into my local software place back in the old country. I'm psyched for getting Bio-Shock, or in case of absence, any more or less decent timesink - because Medieval 2 is fun, but I want something more personal than armies butchering one-another (which is fun too, but gets a bit tiring).
Anyway, they have BioShock, yes, but they also had something else. Something that I've been looking for for quite a while now, and finally managed to find - Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. I promptly start a debate in my head about whether or not I should get it, as I'd already had a bit of a fill with another horror-FPS game a bit earlier in the month. FEAR and Extraction Point addon, to be specific.
The box isn't anything special, and the game is getting a bit long in the tooth at this point, with it having been released last year/two years ago or something like that ... still, for some reason, I did pick it up.
I now bow to whatever impulse moved me to do so as divine.
Whether it came from a Great Old One or not is really irrelevant at this point. What isn't is the simple fact that ... well ... let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
This game is not action, with a dash of adventure and some horror thrown in to stuff up the gaps.
First and foremost, it's Horror. With a capital H.
It is perhaps the most immersive FPP I've played, more-so than the Thief series.
It is also the first game I'm genuinely afraid of playing at night, with the lights out, and I've not even gotten to what most would call the 'good stuff' yet.
This is mostly due to several things, but primarily?
The game puts doesn't just put you into some kind of drone character, who you are then supposed to 'simulate' as best you can. The character you animate has a name. Has history. Has such a thing as mental health and can be _shaken_ by the events, and you with him.
To illustrate, two examples, with possible spoilers.
One - at some point in the game, you become indirectly responsible for the death of an innocent person. Then. a bit later on, when you're making your way through some really creepy surrounds, you have several moments where this person's 'ghost' appears, blood and all, giggles at you, and generally does its best to be creepy as hell ... and you genuinely don't know if it's real, a hallucination (possibly - the main character hallucinates quite a bit, partially due to a bit of a clairvoyant/psychometric streak, but not exclusively due to this) or maybe something else. Meanwhile, you're freaking out because the speakers start with presenting to you the quickened heartbeat and near-hyperventilation of your 'avatar', the screen becomes increasingly blurred ... yeah.
Two - the protagonist suffers from a fear of heights, and in various sequences you're forced to escape via rooftops/high ledges. Do. Not. Look. Down. Or you start with a vision blur, sounds become muted, heartrate picks up ...
These 'sanity lapses' can get pretty bad, and depending on the source the character reacts differently. Faced with something truly horrific, not only do those abovementioned effects happen, but you also get treated to listening to the protagonist babbling in fear.
If they get bad enough, the character goes catatonic and you get a game over ... or, if you're holding a weapon at the time, he commits suicide.
This doesn't really reflect the full experience. Not even part of it. Heck, not even mentioning the scripted events meant to build tension (like taking a peek through a basement window, only to see a body being dragged out through the door, or someone who'd hung themselves, or spotting a shadowed something on the rooftops that you very very dearly _want_ to be just some bits of masonry shaped like a gargoyle but you can't be sure because a bit later it's plain not _there_).
What adds to the general atmosphere is the lack of a HUD. You need to remember how many bullets fit into a weapon, health cues are given via sounds (heartbeat, labored breathing) as well as visuals (world going grey due to bloodloss), there is no targeting reticule and you have to use the various weapons' actual iron sights ... more than any other FPP, this game makes you feel like it's you in there, you whose sanity is slowly slipping away and giving way to ... *glurg*
I won't say the game doesn't have bugs, because it does, but I can safely say the good outweighs the bad by more than just a fair margin.
I rec it heartily.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Sounds a little like "Eternal Darkness," which was for the Gamecube. I only finished about half of it, but it was a very well done horror game.
Three stats: life, mana, sanity. When the sanity started to go down, the game responded. Not for the character, but for the player. I saw, while playing: the screen view took a permanent 20 degree tilt, the color gamma began to shift, the sound went out of balance, and in one case, I moved a character into a room, had him get one-popped by monsters, and then the scene shifted to outside the room (with the character moaning, "What is happening to me?").
In addition, I have been told of, by people who finished the game: bugs crawling across the inside of the screen, the mute turning on without warning, the message "Controller unplugged" appearing, and a sudden declaration of "Erasing saved game" showing up.
I'm in total agreement with this philosophy. If you're going to do a horror game of the Lovecraftian theme, you have to screw with the player's perceptions, not the character's.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

The Hunterminator

Whoa, that sounds like an intense experience and I now have the urge to buy the game. How demanding are the system requirements?
Yup, something like that, only you never get shown any sort of meter for how much health you have left (an EKG diagram in the inventory screen doesn't quite cut it), or how much sanity for that matter.
The bug bit ... well, something similar here too. You end up coming out of a pipe and in a pit filled with rotted human remains, a giant bent grate set into the middle and a ladder to one side leading up. There's flies buzzing around, and roaches creeping along, then the scene flashes to the inside of a cell in an insane asylum, scores of roaches crawling over the walls, floor, and ceiling.
If that's not creepy enough, you get your perceptions back to the 'here and now' only to see a dead body drop and partially slip into the grate, and something come up from below, hitting the metal with a loud clang and drawing the body inside via tentacles. By that time you're going OMGOMGShoggothHELP! and running for the ladder, climbing, the screen is blurry, and the first thing you see when you get up is another dead body hanging from a rafter highter up, death's head grin and all.
Quote:
Whoa, that sounds like an intense experience and I now have the urge to buy the game. How demanding are the system requirements?
Needs a P3, 256 megs of RAM, and a 128 meg graphics card.
No real idea on how it scales, depending on the system, as there's no real graphic detail level customization to it. Only thing you can change is the resolution.
Still, yes, a 128 meg graphics card is enough to make the whole experience leapfrog-free, from where I'm sitting. Then again, I'm also running two gigs of ram and a dual core.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm

The Hunterminator

Quote:
Needs a P3, 256 megs of RAM, and a 128 meg graphics card.
No real idea on how it scales, depending on the system, as there's no real graphic detail level customization to it. Only thing you can change is the resolution.
Still, yes, a 128 meg graphics card is enough to make the whole experience leapfrog-free, from where I'm sitting. Then again, I'm also running two gigs of ram and a dual core.

Mmm... my PC isn't top of the line, but it's not so bad either. Seems I can play that game.
Ok, as soon as I'm home, I'll check the prices for that game.
-Edit-
Oh, one question. Does the game require knowledge of Lovecraft books to be enjoyable? I've never read any of Lovecraft's books and only recognise the name of Cthulhu because he can be found in so many other works.
The fact that I have a very basic knowledge of what a Shoggoth looks like is the extent of my knowledge as far as I know.

Kokuten

Quote:
Then again, I'm also running two gigs of ram and a dual core.

POWER OVERWHELMING.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
Oh, one question. Does the game require knowledge of Lovecraft books to be enjoyable? I've never read any of Lovecraft's books and only recognise the name of Cthulhu because he can be found in so many other works.
Nah. You may get some more of the references and spin some more elaborate speculation about the plot, but knowledge of the books is not required. Some things actually get a little spoiled by knowledge of the books, but you only get a general anticipation instead of knowing exactly what to expect even if you did read about Innsmouth and the Yith.
Quote:
POWER OVERWHELMING.
Yup. Runs very smoothly on my end.
-Griever

The Hunterminator

Quote:
Nah. You may get some more of the references and spin some more elaborate speculation about the plot, but knowledge of the books is not required. Some things actually get a little spoiled by knowledge of the books, but you only get a general anticipation instead of knowing exactly what to expect even if you did read about Innsmouth and the Yith.
So basically, playing this game, I'd know as much as the character and discover the horrors with the character?
In other words, it'd actually make the game more immersive?
It should. So far I've not run into anything that I wouldn't have understood/suspected without having read HP's stuff a few years back.
Be warned, though - the game's pretty old-school adventure in some places. As in, remember the old adventure games with action sequences? Like, say, Gabriel Knight, or Prisoner of Ice?
Yeah, it's sort of like that. Mostly with the escape/sneaking sequences, which you may take a few times to get right - but damn if it's not satisfying when you do manage, more often than not by the skin of your teeth.
IMO, it's great, but I know that sort of thing isn't everyone's cup of tea.
-Griever
Quote:
Yeah, it's sort of like that. Mostly with the escape/sneaking sequences, which you may take a few times to get right - but damn if it's not satisfying when you do manage, more often than not by the skin of your teeth.
Sounds a bit like the Thief series, which has a tradition of putting at least one mission in each game that gives you some serious heebie-jeebies.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Vaguely. More like the first Thief than the second, and from where I am now, _all_ the time rather than just some of the time. There's some sneaking in it, yes, but by escape sequences I meant:
You wake up with people banging on your deadbolted door, which is slowly giving way: you need to escape by virtue of deadbolting/barricading doors behind you to give you the extra few seconds you'll need to get to the last room, where you get out the window and jump across the alley, then duck into the building on the balcony of which you just landed. And yes, they'll _follow_ you in doing that, while others fill the corridor you're in with as much buckshot as they can cram through the windows from the opposite side.
And that's just the beginning.
-Griever

Kokuten

Quote:
Prisoner of Ice?

Curse this game into the endless pits of black oblivion from whence it came, a red sword in it's hand, my free time to slay.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

CattyNebulart

Quote:
In other words, it'd actually make the game more immersive?
In other words you will lose SAN along with the character.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

The Hunterminator

Any relation to the tabletop named Call of Cthulhu? The one I've heard is one of the few tabletop games where a player's reaction to "You see 5 men, 4 of them pointing guns at you and one reading a book" is "I shoot the guy reading a book."
I tried CoC, but ended up passing it off to someone. It wasn't bad, but I felt it was fundamentally flawed. Instead of giving us an atmosphere of true Lovacraftian horror, you just got a vaguely grimm, yet lackluster FPS.

For *true* horror gameplay, I recommend Clive Barker's Undying. --
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"

The Hunterminator

Well... I've looked around online, and expect for Direct 2 Drive, I can't find ways to buy the game online in Canada. Looks like I'll have to go to a game shop and order it.
Oh and, just a friendly note, I have heard a lot of bad things about Bioshock.
Here are the sources I can remember:
www.escapistmagazine.com/...n-BioShock
www.shamusyoung.com/twent...le/?p=1284

I quite like the words of Yahtzee "If you're a PC gamer spoiled by more complex FPS RPGs, then you're in for a kick in the balls. Maybe a gentler kick in the balls than most, and extremely pretty and well executed kick in the balls with the best of intentions but at the end of the day, you're still walking funny."

HoagieOfDoom

Quote:
Any relation to the tabletop named Call of Cthulhu? The one I've heard is one of the few tabletop games where a player's reaction to "You see 5 men, 4 of them pointing guns at you and one reading a book" is "I shoot the guy reading a book."
That's why I love the Cthulu RPG. Things that seem stupid in other games are the RIGHT thing to do in it. Plus the system is just so cool.
Quote:
Sounds a little like "Eternal Darkness," which was for the Gamecube. I only finished about half of it, but it was a very well done horror game.
Eternal Darkness is one of my favorite games of all time. It's also one of the only genuinely creepy and gut-wrenching terror inducing games I've played. Well, not so much anymore; the graphics are rather dated. But Silicon Knights did a bang-up job on it in the audio department; some of the music still gives me the creeps.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
On Bioshock:
I found it to be one of the gems of the last 5 years. But then I *love* story-based FPS games.
If you're expecting System Shock 2 again, you're getting some of it - the atmosphere is there, the action is even better. The graphics are extraordinary. Where the game is *revolutionary* is the sound - it's *incredible*.
If you want the rich research/RPG elements, it's not there. There's some minor crafting and weapon modification, but that's it.
All-in-all, I've got 0 regrets for my Bioshock purchase. CoC was a waste of time for me.

Now, back to Undying - there's a reason it won an award for being the Best Game No One Played. It's a classic.
--
Fair's fair and to each their own. I'll give you that CoC's shooter aspect is clunky, but in my opinion the rest makes up for it.
As to Undying ... yes, well, I'd likely have played it if I could have bloody _found_ it. Retail back in Poland was pretty hit and miss back in those days, and I'm too much of a 'here-now' kind of mug to order. If I shell out the cash, I pretty much want to have the box in my hands when I get home that day. Still, should I find it in a bargain bin somewhere, I'll get it.
I'll likely end up not getting Bioshock for some time if I get it at all, all things considered. In part because I want to see how the whole registration fiasco turns out, in part because *look at his system* yeah, sod that. I'll likely only switch to something that can give me the full experience in a few years' time, and I don't forsee investing in a 360 anytime in the interim.
-Griever
Really, I had no registration issues. If people hadn't been bitching about them I'd never have known.
Yeah, Undying is bloody hard to find. I don't remember how I got a copy.--