Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Ubuntu Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Kokuten

any other linux heads here? I just switched my first machine in 5+ years (XP to Ubuntu), and I'm pretty impressed. Autodetection of everything, foreal!Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Yeah, my new workplace is all linux.
Most of us use ubuntu, its extremely painless.
Linux is an electronic puzzle for nerds. Big Grin
Seriously, we run Scientific Linux at my workplace, since it ocmes with a lot of programming libraries that are popular for scientific work pre-installed. It's based on RedHat Enterprise, and isn't bad except for the UI they use. I don't know which one it is since I use it so rarely (99% of the time I use CLI to admin the Linux servers) but it's pretty lackluster.
We also have some plain RedHat Enterprise kicking around - we get it cheap through the Univeristy license.
We do screw around with various distros from time to time - I think my last attempt to make a Linux-on-a-USB-Key setup was using Ubuntu. Worked reasonably well.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"

CattyNebulart

I like ubuntu, it's a good system, and very user friendly.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Kokuten

I downloaded XUbuntu last night, is supposed to be geared for low-power installations. I'm going to try that on my laptop this weekend..Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979