Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Oh... wow... now HERE's a future Looney would LOVE...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What if all the Colliers articles from the 50s were the way that Space history REALLY WENT.
And here are two links for a teaser film.
http://manconquersspace.com/downloads/m ... I_1280.mov
I really recommend the second one above if you have the bandwidth and the time. (about 10-15 min of download). HUGE file, but well worth it.
Oh I SO want to see this fully made!
-Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------
I'll have to look at those movies when I get home tonight, but I tell you, the website is beautiful. If the film looks even half as good... wow.
Thanks!

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
*Watches trailer*
I *WON'T* cry.
I Won't.

*thinks of wasted opportunities*
BWAAAAAAAAAAAH! Foxboy's tears are twin waterfalls!
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
I'm not sad.
I'm furious.
--Sam
"I'm very mad now. I may even be tingling."
The first thing out of my mom's mouth when I showed her was:
"Yeah, but if that had happened, we would have all been speaking German."
Not necessarily so, I think.
BTW: This is made of win and love.
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"But first, let's test it on the penguin."
"Meep?" O.o

On speaking German -
Oh no! The whole premise of the film STILL starts with Project Paperclip, but merely diverges from that point. I think some assumption is made that Von Braun and the Germans did get at least one other major project to the testing phase before the end of the war - the clip seems to suggest the legendary suborbital German bomber project - but that it was still too little too late. It's what happens AFTER the war that diverges the history significantly.
And yes... win and LOTS and LOTS of love. (snif)
-Logan
-----------------
-Adam Savage
-----------------
Quote:
I'm not sad.
I'm furious.
Sigh... I know what you mean.
Back in the 70s and 80s as a kid I could still dream that we'd have a Moonbase or classic "wheel" space station in orbit by the end of the century or maybe the early 2000s that would be the basis for other expeditions. Maybe if I couldn't be an astronaut, then maybe by the time it was time for me to retire, then I might have enough money to take a short hop on the Pan Am shuttle to the station to be able to see the Earth from orbit. Not anymore... I know now that I'll eventually die without ever taking one step beyond Earth's atmosphere.
I remember Gene Cernan talking about how nowadays it almost seems like we somehow managed to pluck a decade from the 21st Century and shoehorn it into the 1960s.
It's maddening. NASA was practically given carte blanche in the 60s because of the whole "beat the Russians" thing politically. They had their glory days when they really deserved praise, and I'm a huge fan of that era. And if the NASA of that era still existed, I'd be a fan still.
But in the end they had their funding cut to shreds and turned into just another government bureaucracy. And one that's having to get by on a relative shoestring compared to what it would REALLY cost to do the job properly.
I really hold out hope for Burt Rutan and Scaled Composites in their bid to make space tourism and launch-to-orbit something that private enterprise can and will do. They seem to have the creativity and funding to really make a go of this. Any program that doesn't depend on a fickle congress for its funding may have an advantage.
And maybe a film like Man Conquers Space might remind people of the space dream. Remind them that all of that can be had RIGHT NOW if we just make the commitment.
-Logan
-----------------
-Adam Savage
-----------------
I'm less than sanguine about the technical approach that seems to be described.
Checking some details...
Ah.
www.astronautix.com/props/loxlh2.htm
www.astronautix.com/props/loxosene.htm
www.astronautix.com/props/h2o2udmh.htm
and
www.astronautix.com/lvfam/vonbraun.htm
...so, among other things, the designs don't match the numbers, the numbers were sloppy first-draft versions anyway, and they spend a lot of mass on design approaches that were found to simply not work.
No, actually, I don't think that political will was all that was lacking, and find the suggestion insulting to those who did the work to achieve what we did get.
Ja, -n
(Hydrazine? Really, people - explosive, expensive, poisonous, and corrosive? Good luck!)

===============================================
"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to kill you quite horribly now."
It should also be noted that a rocket designed very much like the Von Braun Colliers design was in fact built and flew:
www.astronautix.com/lvs/n1.htm
It.. didn't work out all that well. So yeah, the reason this didn't get off the ground wasn't simply a lack of Green Lanterning on anybody's part.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Quote:
...so, among other things, the designs don't match the numbers, the numbers were sloppy first-draft versions anyway, and they spend a lot of mass on design approaches that were found to simply not work.
Quote:
No, actually, I don't think that political will was all that was lacking, and find the suggestion insulting to those who did the work to achieve what we did get.
Quote:
It should also be noted that a rocket designed very much like the Von Braun Colliers design was in fact built and flew:
Quote:
It.. didn't work out all that well. So yeah, the reason this didn't get off the ground wasn't simply a lack of Green Lanterning on anybody's part.
Y'know, I really don't care that the Von Braun vision might have been wrong. If the way we went to the moon was the way it had to be done, then PERFECT. You may have missed the part where I PRAISED those guys?
I'm just mad that we didn't KEEP going once we got there, that's all.-Logan
-----------------
-Adam Savage
-----------------
Thread resurrection ... ... ... Success!

As of last November, a fourth trailer went up on http://manconquersspace.com/MCSMovieClips.html]the clips page.

Wow, that's some gorgeous CG. And the final scene in it... I so want to steal some of that trailer for Fenspace, but I respect the people making the movie too much to trample all over their copyrights.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I'm pretty sure they'll oblige so long as we give credit where it's due. Might even be good advertising for them.

paladindythe

I think that it's kinda sad that the youtube version of this has < 1,000 views after (almost) 4 months. Is there any way to gather some interest?