Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A graphics card question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What graphic card in the market provides the most bang for the buck?
I've been upgrading my desktop (codename Alpha) over the summer. Just about the only thing left that hasn't been upgraded is the graphics card, hence this question.
Alpha has been slowly been evolving into a a super Tivo (why else would I upgrade the data drive to 500 gigabytes among with everything else?) I got a Radeon 9550 (which is the orginal card). I do play games, but it hasn't been a primary concern. So, do any of you folks have any recommendations. Something in the $150 dollar range would do.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
I can't tell you exactly - but I find Tomshardware a good review site and pricegrabber useful as well.
Okay, it's clear you've got an AGP setup.
Just as a side note, *if* you went PCI-E I'd recommend an nVidia 8600GT.
ANYWAY, back to your question. As I said, you're AGP. That really limits your options.
If you like ATI (which I don't), you can probbaly pick up an X1950GT 256M for around your price range if you're lucky, probably more likely an X1650-series.
If you like nVidia (which I do), you're most likely looking at a 7600-series. If you want to break your price range, look at getting a 7800- or 7900-series. XFX makes a 7900GS card I've seen at around $200.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Chris, why a 8600 GT? I'm running two 8600 GTS's, SLI'd of cause, with no great issues. Apart from the fact they heat crash when I play Civ4 and don't for anything else.
Oh and they got picky over which Nvidia driver I'd installed, I'd a issue with DVD region coding when I used the optimised driver from er what's that Israelly hardware called again - the one that Nvidia's throwing DMCA at for messing with the driver INF file.
Anyhows, I think the problem was more a DVD Genie/PowerDVD thing then driver issues.
Hmm, an AGP system, ay? I'd be almost tempted to see what PCI video cards are avaliable. But going from general knowledge, 5200GT are the only ones still acquireble off the shelf in PCI.
So yeah look at the 7000's especally from XFX. The drivers & doco alone are worth it. Which is more then I can say 'bout Asus vidcards....
--Rod.H
Rod,
Price. GTS's were listed about $50 more everywhere I found.

And personally, I hate SLI. I run dual 7800GT cards, and it drives me nuts. SLI has weird issues with my LCD screen sleeping, I hate having to set up profiles for every bloody game, and worst of all, the heat/power cost is ludicrous.
I'm probably upgrading to a single 8800-series before the end of the year.--

Kokuten

IWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Yeah, I've heard that, but according to the calcs a 8800GTS 320MB, which is the one I'd probably buy, is still far less heat/power than 2 7800's.
Edit: And anywhere from 20-50% more performance.--
Thanks for the info Chris...I'm at the stage right now that I wouldn't know the difference in visual quality like a guy who has been used to 56k all his life.
I'll probably spriing for a replacement video card at the same time I get a HDTV. Makes no sense to get one if now if I still have the old CRT TV. I'd like to hook the Pc up to a TV, but I'll need a LCD TV for that.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Want a fun trick?
Don't get an HD TV, get a monitor.
Most (good) HD receivers also have VGA output, which can feed directly into a monitor. It's fairly simple to convert RCA Audio to simple speakers.
Saves up to 50%, since you don't need the useless cable receiver.--