Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: RIAA campaign stalls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seen on The Inquirer: Judge halth RIAA 'illegal' activity
It's about time somebody stood up for due process...

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

WengFook

Thats really brave of that judge. I respect him for doing that._______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja magic-carpet airstrikes at night.
- A friend after playing a session of Dark Ages Vampire.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. THERE IS ONLY WAR!
-Same friend.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Here's an interesting little side-link, via BoingBoing: Apparently the President's daughters unwisely made him a mix CD and gave it to him somewhere that reporters could see or hear about it. So a lawyer has written a letter to the RIAA pointing out this grievous violation of their god-given rights and demanding that they sue the First Twins. Article here, with links.

-- Bob
---------

WengFook

Damned if they do, double damned if they don't :O_______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja magic-carpet airstrikes at night.
- A friend after playing a session of Dark Ages Vampire.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. THERE IS ONLY WAR!
-Same friend.
Exactly! The lawyer, for those who didn't follow the link, is very strongly on the anti-RIAA side, and is trying to force their hand one way or another. At the very least to reveal that they've been deliberately targetting those with no ability to defend themselves against the corporate mechanism. It'll be fun to see where this goes...

-- Bob
---------
I don't expect it to anywhere; section 1008 of the Audio Home Recording Act should cover this: www.copyright.gov/title17....html#1008
Except the RIAA has of late been declaring that such mix discs are copyright violations, subject to the same draconian measures that they're applying to all other intellectual property criminals.

-- Bob
---------
The genie is already out of the bottle, and RIAA is getting more and more desperate to stuff it back in. They'll fail. But they'll hurt a lot of people on their way down.
It occurs to me that an entirely new type of open-source "recording industry" is right around the corner. The next generation of artists (optimistically - or perhaps the following generation after that) may simply do a complete end-run around the established recording companies and make money directly from voluntary donations and on-line sales of their stuff.
Nothing would make me happier than to see the current system go down in flames. -Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------

Elsa Bibat

Metafilter has this to say about the RIAA thing:
www.metafilter.com/62394/...ys-Decline
Anyway, the thread is gold for a single entry, which seemingly doesn't have anything to do with the main topic, a post which I'll take the liberty of copy-pasting in entirety:
"All this talk of their failing business model reminded me of something. It's not that the model is failing so much as a lack of vision to develop a new model.
Sears was started in the 1890's as a mail order business to compete against local general stores (think of all those westerns with "General Store" on one of the buildings - they were Sears competition). The guys Sears worked on railroads, and he saw all the middlemen tacking on markup as products moved west in the distribution chain until they go to the stores.
So he started a catalog, the famous Sears catalog in 1893. It was 300 pages, and had everything. Now think about this for a second. In 1893, you had a mail order catalog that sold pretty much everything that was for sale in 1893 - machinery, bikes, toys, dry goods, etc. Does this sound like another business you know?
So every year the catalog comes out, and after a few decades it becomes an American institution. For much of the population, the Sears catalog includes a decent quality, low cost version of every mass market nonperishable consumer product in the United States that wasn't a car (they did sell those at one point very early on. They also sold mobile homes too, up to the 1940's).
You could pick anything from the catalog, mail in your order with a check, and in a few days/weeks you'd get it. If you didn't like it, for any reason, Sears had a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy that you could return it at anytime for a full refund.
Now pay attention, because here's where it gets good.
In 1931, Sears starts an insurance company - Allstate. It buys financial investment firm Dean Witter and real estate broker Coldwell Banker in 1981. In 1984 it starts a joint venture with IBM called Prodigy, an online computer service, sort of a prototype AOL. In 1985, Sears launches a new major credit card, the Discover card. For the next eight years, the only credit card you can use at Sears is Discover.
At this time, the early 80's Sears is the largest retailer in the U.S.
By 1993, the 100th anniversary of the Sears Catalog, Sears had built up considerable goodwill in the mind of consumers. They weren't the lowest price, but they had what you needed at good prices and the service was second to none. They had real estate, insurance, financial planning, and all at good prices with top customer service.
This is 1993. In quite possibly the greatest example of corporate shortsightedness, Sears shut down it's mail-order business in a cost cutting measure. It spins off Allstate that same year, and soon dumps Dean Witter and Coldwell Banker.
In 1993, Sears had the most extensive and sophisticated mail-order retail operation on the planet and they closed it.
Two years later, Amazon.com launched, and was soon selling everything that sears sold through it's catalog. By the late-90's Walmart's push of low-cost China imports killed Sears retailing. Online banking takes off. Credit card use surges as mail order and retail purchases are shifted online.
Sears had its own computer network in 1993. They had access to IBM, they should have understood the power of the internet. All they had to do was shift the catalog online instead of killing it off, promising in store returns and the same Sears satisfaction guaranteed. Discover could have been the credit card of choice for security and protection online. Dean Witter could have been what Schwab, E-Trade and Ameritrade became. Back in the mid-late 90s when many people were hesitant to use credit cards online, Sears could have been a familiar face online.
Sears could have used the Catalog to create searscatalog.com or wishbook.com and owned online retailing, owned amazon's business, owned online brokerage and banking, but they blew their chances to save a few bucks in 1993. They could have made huge profits in the early 2000s real estate boom by leveraging that success with their real estate arm (imagine if Amazon sold houses).
By my estimates, Sears could have spent about $200 million in 1994-1996 to develop and promote retailing and financial services online, and they'd be reaping billions.
Sears could still be a huge American company today, instead of a historical footnote.
The lesson - arrogance and lack of vision. I look forward to the day in a few years when we can look back at the RIAA as a similar case study in lethargy, greed, and arrogance."
There was something I found of interest in a previous discussion of this basic topic. (Not here I think, but I don't remmeber where it was.)
It was a post by someone who I believe said they were involved in the music industry (maybe a musician themselves, I'm not sure, but closer to that end than the record label end). According to this person, most non-incredibly-popular musicians don't make that much money off album sales. They get most of it off of concerts and other things, and selling albums is effectively mostly advertising for those as far as they're concerned.
If this is true, it's not surprising that it seems like at least a form of the end run Logan suggests is already taking place, with some groups already just going out and releasing their music on bittorrent. It's certainly an easy way for people who aren't likely to get record deals anyway to get some wider exposure, but it's effectiveness might not end there...
Defiance might also be an interesting example. Their last album was released in 1992, and hardly anyone seems to have heard of them. For I believe at least a year, they've had a rotating selection of their previous three albums up for download on their website. They also seem to have a variety of plans for producing new stuff in the works. Think they're expecting the one to help the other?
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
Might the name you're hunting for be Janis Ian?
Ja, -n

===============================================
"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to kill you quite horribly now."
Quote:
According to this person, most non-incredibly-popular musicians don't make that much money off album sales. They get most of it off of concerts and other things, and selling albums is effectively mostly advertising for those as far as they're concerned.
If you follow the metafilter link above, and from there to other linked stories, you will find that some record companies are now trying to muscle themselves in on that action in order to make up for the money they're losing as the physical media market starts collapsing.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Might the name you're hunting for be Janis Ian?
Nope. I'm certain the place I read was a comment on some sort of forum, not something like this. And that article covers a lot more stuff as well. Very interesting reading though.
In a related line coming from a different angle, I found this today: www.criticalmass.se/index...icle&id=39
This article is focusing on promotional tracks that are released to music review sites and magazines. The basic point seems to be that the more restrictions that are placed on these, the harder it will be for those people to review things, and the less likely that they will do so at all. Thus meaning less publicity for the music involved.
-Morgan, remembers there was a CSI episode that involved watermarked promo cds..."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
On a related note, The RIAA has to pay $68,685.23 in legal fees and costs after dropping a lawsuit...

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Well, yay!

-- Bob
---------