Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Looking for anything on how to be a good GM...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I wound up my campaign a couple of weeks ago (with a 100% PC survival rate, no less), and almost everybody else in the group has decided that I should take a break from gamemastering for a while. (I don't know why; I'm not at the burnout point yet... Anyway, that's irrelevant.)
Epsilon's already running a game, and he's posted game logs from it on occasion. He's a good GM, and it's an enjoyable game. (I'm sure I'd enjoy it more if the players could agree not to be idiots in-game. (No, Epsilon, I don't want to hear about the time my character was an idiot. That was with the full agreement of the other player-characters before I made the boneheaded maneuver; I was trying for some party unity.) Anyway, that's irrelevant.) But he's only able to run every other week.
Which leaves the others... No names, for obvious reasons.
Two of them I have no idea whether they'd make good GMs, because as far as I know they've never tried.
One has the attention-span of a mayfly; when he loses interest in a game, he stops coming to the sessions. He doesn't bother telling anyone, he just stops coming. I trust I don't have to explain why it would worry me if he was to try his hand as GM.
Another has trouble telling the difference between a computer RPG and a pencil & paper RPG when he GMs. His last campaign lasted less than a half-dozen sessions; the final session in that one was a carefully-contrived session-long "cut scene" where the players weren't allowed to do anything. (When I tried having my character say something that would have shifted the focus away from the NPCs and back to at least one of the PCs, he said "You don't want to say that" and went back to his prepared notes.) I believe he still doesn't understand why nobody wanted to play in that game again.
The last one brings his favourite character into each game he runs (modified as little as necessary to fit into the setting), and expects the players to not mind that this character is not only more competent than the PCs, but is also an active part of the party. He doesn't seem to grasp that we don't want to play sidekicks to a "GM's character".
(Yes, I have considered finding a different group. I'd send invitations to the better players I know if I had some gaming space and a decent game-plotline in mind... Anyway, that's irrelevant.)
So... What I'd like to do is give copies of a "how to be a good gamemaster" text to the other people in my group. There's no guarantee that they'd read the thing, but at least I'd have done something constructive. The problem is, I don't know of any such works. Introductory texts are a dime a dozen, but most of these folks need something more than introductory texts. (And there's always something in this sort of book that the old hands will find new, so I'd want to read them myself.)
Any suggestions? Printed books, PDFs, web sites, bundles of 80-column punch cards, ... anything?

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Check out Robin's Laws of Good Gamemastering, published by SJ Games. I've got a copy, and it's got a lot of good advice.
Note that the dead tree edition is out of print, but there's a PDF version for $8.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Best books I've found are the Dummies books on Managering and Parenting.
They contain much the same material.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
The rpg.net forums are where I learned a lot of the skills I apply to gamemastering.
It does take a while to get into the grove there, however. If you posted asking "How can I be a better GM?" I think you'd get a lot of good advice.
--------------------
Epsilon

crimsonsun

I'd bug Foxboy for advice Smile He's been one of the best GMs Ive ever had, and thats been in.. oh bloody hell, has it been 10 years already? o_O[Image: faveosig.jpg]
For one shots - be fun and irreverent
For long term games; sketch out the world and lightly draw some major plot points. Then send it to the players and get their PC ideas. Once these have come back, start drawing plots that involve the pcs.
Each PC should have one major plot that is exclusive to them, as well as several minor plots.
The minor plots are a good area to link one or more pc together through a common goal.
If you have a major campaign plot it is vital that all players have an active hook that draws them to it. It should not rely on a single pc (there is no chosen one).
If you have any house rules; state them up front, do not leave them to be discovered - likewise if you have particular races/cultures; detail them in front - that way it is less likely that you will have a pc who creates a character at extreme odds with the world.
Have a map - detailed enough for the players to get a good look at the world (leave yourself some space and scale for adding in towns/etc.)
Sample Campaign brief (A ADD 3rd edition world I built - and may return to running in the future.)
Minosorian campaign.
All players are assumed to have MAX hit points for the first level. For every subsequent level roll 3 dice and take the highest.
Clerics can spontaneously cast any spells of a lower level than the maximum level they can cast. ie: A cleric has to prepare all his/her third levels spells, but can spontaneously cast their orisons, 1st and 2nd level spells. Clerics can still substitute prepared spells for cure/heal/remove spells.
Players are free to pick and choose their own stats, but showing up with a sheet that looks like the measurements for two supermodels (17,18,18,17, 18, 20) will result in playing Throde the Gimp.
Prestige Classes: I am still thinking about these there are a lot available, but I am not certain how balanced the non-core ones are (I am not sure how balanced the core ones are either.)
No Gnomes. Period. Not on my watch.
No static initiative. Initiative is rolled each round.
Losing initiative does not mean you are considered flat-footed.
Intuit Direction is included in the Wilderness Lore skill.
Paladins and Monks can multi-class, but they must alternate levels. If this pattern is broken they can no longer go up in either Paladin or Monk.
Clerics, Mages and Sorcerers gain one additional feat every four levels, but this feat must be taken in a class-centric skill (combat casting, Meta-magic, extra turning, etc.)
Favored Class for Elf characters is Druid or Ranger (Not wizard)
Wilderness Lore is a racial skill for elves
Racial Characteristics:
Humans: Like so many rats in a sewer, humans can be found in all corners of Cambin. They have adapted to the forests, deserts and mountains. The bastards.
Elves: The elves of Cambin are highly nomadic. While many choose to stay within the deep forests of Caer Cathydyn, the more adventurous seek to see more of the world.
Dwarves: There are tribes of dwarves in the Drum and Spine mountain ranges, and there are even a few rumors of Dwarf holds in the reaches of the Deep Chasms.
Halflings: Halflings can be found nearly everywhere that humans can, with the possible exceptions of the deep deserts. (Halflings can be found nearly everywhere humans can - where it is comfortable to live.)
Gnomes: Gnomes can be found in my garden - you want to be one, go stand there (plus I will encourage the other players to open the windows and throw oranges at you.)
Half Orcs: Half-orcs can be found primarily in the Deep Chasms, drum hills and Spine mountains. They can also be found anywhere that orcs have raided at one time or another.
Half Elves: Anywhere that humans can be found.
Money: Coin weights are standard across the countries of Cambin and while some coin clipping is noted, it is actively discouraged (savage beatings tend to do that to people.) The standard coins tend to be Minosorian in origin. The value of coins is as follows.
10 copper bits to 1 Silver tael (pronounced tail) 10 Silver taels to 1 Golden Crown 10 Golden Crowns to 1 Platinum Griffin
Languages of the Land:
The common tongue, known to all characters is Minosorian.
Human: Other human languages include High Brak (Eastern provinces), Low Brak (Western Provinces), Munan (from Sharamuna) and Island Trade Tongue from the Moderate Islands
Elvish: Elvish languages include Elvish and Bellflower (the tongue of pixes, dryads and other woodland creatures.
Dwarves: The Dwarves speak their own language, Dwarven, which is also spoken by many underground creatures.
Halflings: Halflings speak Minosorian and/or Bellflower
Non-Humanoids: Most non-humanoids speak Guttertongue, while kobolds speak Low Draconic.
Other Languages: High and Low Draconic, Demonic, Celestial
The Kingdom of Minosoria
Minosoria is one of the central kingdoms of Cambin. Once the dominant kingdom, the fates have not been kind to her of late. The last 300 years has seen their borders eroded, as the other nations of Cambin eat away at her like vultures tearing strips of rotting meat off a carcass.
In her prime Minosoria was the jewel of the continent. Her armies, each marching under one of the eight griffin standards; capable of besting forces thrice their size. Her rulers were just and wise; for a time. As generations passed duty and honor were replaced with greed and complacency. The House of Erne was beset from within as the nobles turned on one another, wrestling for the throne by force of arms or assassination. The armies of Minosoria, lacking their former power, were cut down on the battlefield, the griffins standards stolen away as prizes by the victorious armies.
Now Rhianna Erne, known as Rhianna Kinslayer holds the Minosorian throne. A throne wrested away from her uncle Septimus, who Rhianna and her arms men slew in a flurry of arrows. Her own army marches under the single remaining griffin.
The Eight Griffin Banners:
The griffin Rampant
The griffin Aloft
The griffin Courageous
The griffin Majestic
The griffin of the North (Red)
The griffin of the South (Blue)
The griffin of the East (White)
The griffin of the West (Brown)
Military Ranks:
Soldier
Optio - commands 8 soldiers
Under Captain - commands 8 Optios
Captain - oversees 2-3 Under Captains
Over Captain - oversees 2-3 Captains, or special duties Sub Major - oversees 2-3 Over Captains or special duties Major oversees 2-3 Sub Majors or special duties Commander oversees 2-3 Majors or special duties General Oversees 2-3 commanders or special duties
Non Military Ranks
Knight Equivalent to an Over Captain
Earl Equivalent to Major
Duke Equivalent to General
When carried by an army who supports a Monarch who is true, each griffin gives a bonus to all soldiers fighting for that army. Currently only the Griffin Aloft is in possession of the Monarch.
Dominant Religion: The dominant deity in the Minosorian pantheon is Maia, who is also referred to as the All Mother or the Great Mother. While clerics regularly worship her directly there is also worship of her saints, who embody different aspects of the All Mother Faith.
Other religions can be found in Minosoria and little prejudice is attached to their worship, save for manifestly evil faiths and the Brotherhood of Equals.
Slavery: Slavery has a short-lived tradition in Minosoria, having been adopted some eighty years ago. A recent royal edict has banned the practice, and offered emancipation to all slaves who wish it, but it is still being adopted throughout the land, and there is some resistance.
Economy: Minosoria supports agriculture of all kinds and most farmers produce enough surplus to not only support the cities, but also to allow excess to be factored to other areas of the continent. (In some cases, unscrupulous factors have left tenet farmers in starvation circumstances by exporting too much.) Arms, Armour and ingots for Oreston and wool, cheese and travel rations from Ralage. The fisheries of Blackdock also produce huge quantities of salted fish. Private land ownership is allowed under Minosorian law, but in the last 300 years, much of this land has been absorbed by different lords, leading to serfdom for many people.
Literacy: The Minosorians are in favor of literacy, and the majority of the population can both read and write.
Law: Minosoria lives under the rule of law - unfortunately many of the judges are remnants of the previous regimes and corrupt. Solicitor is a trade found in many of the larger cities and communities.
Transport: Minosoria has an excellent infrastructure of stone roads, allowing passage in all but the worst winter weather. There is river transport and boats patrol the Greater and Lesser Minos lakes. The roads are patrolled, but the quality of protection offered varies wildly from region to region.
Major Cities:
Minosoria: The capital city is the oldest city on the continent. It has been rebuilt several times and is home to exceptional architecture and craft. While slowly changing, the city is very split between the rich and poor districts. The poorer areas feature tenements which are always a single step away from collapsing; and rampant crime.
Blackdock: A major city built around fishing. The lake shows evidence of previous volcanic activity in the Drum Hills, as the sands are a uniform black. There is very good farming in much of this region.
Ralage: A recent city build by one of Rhianna's not so distant relatives. Taking advantage of the hilled, grassy, terrain. Ralage is well known for raising sheep and goats and producing cheese.
Oreston: The ancestral home to the Duke of Manheim. Oreston is a mining city that services the myriad of mines that have been dug into the Spine Mountains. The city is roughly built, but arranged in such a way as to be easily defended. Given what has come from the Spine Mountains in the past.

The Kingdom of Stollis:
Stollis broke from Minosoria some 130 years ago over a taxation dispute with the then King of the House of Erne. Several wars were fought over the next forty years, but Stollis not only survived, but managed to push back the Minosorian forces and establish defensible borders.
Stollis is currently ruled by King Edward the Fifth - who is also known as Edward the Red or Demon Eddy (Never to his face). Edward is known as an utter bastard, and does very little to endear himself to his people. Any sort of uprising or challenge to his authority will result in whole towns put to fire and sword. Edward's son -also Edward (the only one to survive to the age of majority, and thus bestowed the name Edward) is following in his father's footsteps. (He is known as the Demon Spawn - but not to his face.)
Economy: One of the key elements to Stollis's continued existence is the salt fields, which form a strong source of revenue for the country. There is mining on the outskirts of the Drum Hills, but territorial conflicts with the Dwarves limit them somewhat. Private land ownership is unknown in Stollis and all farmers work the land as serfs to the lesser Lords of Stollis.
Slavery: Slavery is legal within Stollis. Slaves can be captured from other countries, or taken internally over the causes of debt or criminal behavior.
Dominant Religion: None. There are all manner of faiths in Stollis, though there are quite a number of Maia worshippers. There are temples dedicated to several evil deities.
Transport: Stollis benefits from the Minosorian roads that it inherited and has functional roads between all of the major cities and larger farming communities. The roads are very rarely patrolled.
Literacy: Education is not a high priority in Stollis and literacy is usually found among lords, factors and the clergy.
Law: Law, such as it is, is the bailiwick of the Lords, and subject to a great deal of personal interpretation.
Major Cities:
Stollishold: The seat of Edward's power. The central castle is near impregnable and capable of withstanding a long siege. The town around it looks far newer than it is (having been burned down regularly during various sieges.) The black marble Temple to Amant is one of the more exceptional buildings in the city.
Portsmith: A fishing community and barracks city. The current seat for Edward the Sixth.
Laughnun: The salt city of Stollis. The great salt flats lie to the south of the city.

Langton:
Formerly a province of Minosoria, Langton is currently being ruled by Lucius Erne, who was brother to the deposed and deceased Septimus. Lucius didn't particularly care for his brother - but is very concerned about his niece - and not in regards to what to get her as a Solstice gift. He has other problems occupying his time.
The Eastern borders of Langton have become increasingly dangerous as raiders from across the sea have been making steady incursions, sweeping through the northernmost reaches and down to the warmer central areas.
Where Minosoria prefers the legion as a military model, Lucius, himself a superb rider, has instituted a military based on light and heavy cavalry.
Economy: Farming, and especially the grazing of cattle in the southern reaches are the primary staples of the Langton economy. There is some mining in the spine mountains, and in the forested regions that abut Caer Cathydyn.
Slavery: Slavery is legal in Langton, this could be through capture (other countries) or debt.
Law: While following the rule of law that Minosoria does, Langton also has its share of corruption.
Transport: Langton also benefits from the Minosorian road infrastructure. The roads in the western and central areas are well kept and patrolled regularly. The eastern reaches are increasingly dangerous as the probability of encountering raiders grows.
Cities of Note:
Prost: (Rhymes with Toast) The capital of Langton is a walled city that has outgrown its walls.
Tellis: Home to many of the cattle barons.
Andler: Close to the border of Minosoria, Andler is a garrison town where the lion's share of Langton troops are trained. The area is known for breeding horses.
Lucan: The outpost city. To date Lucan has withstood two major incursions by the invaders. It is unknown if it will be able the withstand a third.
The Invaders: It would be easy to write off the invaders as mere madmen, but there is something more sinister. Mad men do not use the coordinated tactics that the invaders do. There are even rumours that some of them are not men at all, but demonic soldiers of an even greater threat.

Brakall: The Divided Nation
The great grasslands divide the nation of Brakall. On the Eastern edge, lush farmlands. On the Western edge, river delta and flood plains. In the center, miles of steppe grass. The natives of Brakall are as divided as their country. In the west, the Makang. In the east the Kyuda. Each side is broken down into several fiefs, and each fief is ruled by a Warlord, who in turn pays homage to the Emperor.
The Emperor of Brakall is not a hereditary post. Succession is through defeating the Emperor and slaying him. The Emperor is constantly on the move throughout the country, observing, silently taking in the comings and goings of each and passing on his instructions through his agents, who can be found in every fief. Should the Emperor feel it is time to act, he does, with furious force.
Each Emperor is identified by the zodiacal sign under which his succession took place. It was thirty years ago that the Emperor Horse Kang fell; now it is the Dragon Matsai who rules.
Economy: Farming, livestock, and various crafts. Cordage woven from horsehair from Chai-Chek, dyes from Chika, silks from Natsuko and exquisite potters from Tinmen.
Travel: While some roads link the various fiefs of the east; and others the fiefs in the west, the majority of the grasslands do not have roads. In the west there is travel via the lower branch of the Minos river.
Religion: Worship of the zodiac is the primary religion, with the moment of ones birth laboriously charted and dedicated to the appropriate animal. There is also some ancestor worship (Primarily among the Makang) and The Path of Enlightenment (Kyuda)
Sharamuna:
The hard deserts of Sharamuna are a more potent protection that any army. In the rolling dunes and short steppe grass, tribes of nomads circulate, seeking to maintain a hard existence there. Only in the great city is life comfortable and even there, only for a select few who have the wealth to make it so.
Economy: Mostly subsistence farming, but the southern areas are home to vast deposits of precious metals and gems.
Travel: There are no roads to speak of and travel is often dangerous, as much from hungry and desperate men as from the vast, hot plains. While there are many wadis, wells and oasises, these are often staked out and there is a cost for stopping there.
Religion: There is but One True God. Greater than them all. It is he who is worshipped. A god of great and terrible power. His name is never mentioned and is only known to the highest priests. To the rest he is the One. The church plays a hugely important role in Sharamuna. Any magic not of the One True God is an abomination. (Any clerical or sorcerous magic by a non-believer, bardic magic, or wizard magic.) The penalty is death, mutilation, or death by mutilation.
Slavery: Yes. Though stringent rules are in place for the treatment of slaves.
Law: While the Emirs and Sultans in the great cities are the mechanism of enforcement, it is the Imams of The One True God who are the ultimate arbiters of the law. Penalties tend to be brutal, and are always worse for those who do not worship him.

Valos
The Northern lands of Valos are mostly uninhabited, at least where humans, elves, dwarves and halflings are concerned. There are a handful of costal cities and towns, but he majority of the land is unexplored. Some tales have come through the ages of vast cities of giants in upper reaches of the spine mountains, but these are taken as the fancies of bards and troubadours. Travel in Valos, aside from some of the coastal regions is considered to be very dangerous.
The men and women of Valos tend to be slightly taller and broader than average for humans. They combine fishing with raising livestock and some farming. They are average sea-men, and prefer to remain within sight of shores.

Slavers: Slavery is illegal in Valos, but the size and strength of the people has made them highly desirable as slaves.
Economy: Exports include fish, furs, and leather. The people of Valos have access to very few source of metal and this is a favored trade item.
Major Cities
Land's End: The largest City in Valos. While most of the city is nestled at the waters edge, there is a large fortress set back from the water, where the population can retreat to.
Nellish: Known for its vast stocks of cod and other large, easily caught fish, Nellish exports great quantities of salted fillets. It is often remarked that it is the most beautiful city in Valos, provided that one holds ones nose.

Caer Cathydyn
The land of the elves is thick with forest, stretching from the shores of the Eastern sea to the edge of the spine mountains. The forest is mixed, starting with pine stretches to the north and thick jungle in the southern reaches. It is home to the elves of Cambim.
The Elvish race eschews cities and live a purely nomadic life. Most elves own only what they can carry, and even the greatest craftsmen will own no more than a small wagon to transport their tools and wares.
Elven Gatherings: Elven gatherings occur spontaneously in Caer Cathydyn, and any elves in the forest will be able to feel the pull of one and will be able to find their way. Gatherings are where news is exchanged, and many elves are conceived. Gatherings are also times of gifting, where possessions are gifted upon friends and companions.
Slavery: There is no slavery in Caer Cathydyn. Even animals are considered companions and not property.
Economy: The elves are remarkable self sufficient, producing everything they need from the forest. Trade is for unique tools and weapons, or small oddities. Elves value magic above all other commodities. Export includes medicinal herbs and Elven crafts.
Social Structure: Elves seldom mate for life (though trysts of several dozen years are common). While family is important it is often taken at a distance as once an elf matures enough to take care of themselves, they are encouraged to make their own way.
Dominant Religion: Most of the elves worship various Kodama - forest spirits. Elven clerics may choose appropriate spheres from Air, Animal, Earth, Fire, Luck, Plant, Strength, Sun, Travel, Trickery and Water. Examples would include Fox (Luck, Travel, Fire) or Bear (Earth, Strength, Animal) All Kodama have one elemental sphere.

Freehold Lords
Less a country than a morass. A multitude of small lords and keeps. Some are kin to the House of Erne, others are warlords who have seized power under their own auspices, some are collectives. Small wars, banditry and raiding are commonplace.
Economy: While private land ownership is available in the lands of the Freehold Lords, keeping one's land can be a challenge, and farmers often ally themselves with the local lords in an attempt to garner protection. Trade is mostly between the different fiefdoms, with banditry being just as important in getting resources from one place to another.
Religion: The freehold lands have all manner of religions. In some cases the Lord's religion dictates that of his people, but in most cases it is catch as you can. There are several temples maintained by clerics of St. Cantrain
Transport: While many Minosorian roads were built in what became the Freehold lands, they are in poor repair, and are often far more dangerous than the unmarked paths, as bandits are always about.
Major Cities
Cloverdale: A halfling burrow that has managed to maintain itself through a combination of location and luck. Known for its fruit.
Haven: Ruled by the Lord Killick Garthis and his Lady Chira, Haven acts as a trading outpost for much of the Freehold lands. The roads around Haven are regularly patrolled, and any bandits caught are crucified on either side of the road leading to the keep. Admittance to the market is at the pleasure of the Lord and Lady of Haven, and they request that all conflicts from outside Haven, stay outside haven.
Nurg: Unconfirmed rumours state that Nurg is a Brotherhood city and there are a large contingent of gnolls there.
Alstice: The stronghold of Lord Basil Erne. A cousin to the Queen and potential claimant to the Minosorian throne.

Kethis: Growing Religious Fanatics - The Brotherhood of Equals.
The Brotherhood of Equals
Alignment: The Brotherhood of Equals is a Lawful Neutral religion and clerics must have either as an element of their alignment. It should be noted that due to the rigid structure of the church and the faith, there is very little variation from the Lawful Neutral alignment.
Doctrine: The Brotherhood of Equals is a stoic faith in which the role of the individual is to be actively discouraged. The group is the whole of the faith. Unfortunately the faith has taken a turn to the evangelical, and they are believers in using military action to recruit. Communities and kingdoms subjugated by the Brotherhood are provided (or more accurately allowed to keep) only the minimum required to sustain life. Communities revolve around the church, where communal meals are taken whenever possible. This is especially prevalent in cities, whereas more agrarian areas require attendance at the church for one day in seven.
Life under the Brotherhood: Life under the Brotherhood is bleak and colorless. There are no colors save gray and black. Work starts before dawn and continues well into the night. Silence during work is encouraged, and where applicable, enforced. Agrarian communities are required to spend evening hours (normally in Church) in productive work, producing small items for the evangelical war machine.
There is no privacy within the Brotherhood in fact it is rare to have moments of solitude. Everyone is watching everyone else.
Men and women share the same rights and privileges (such as they are) under the Brotherhood of Equals.
One of the more disturbing traits of the Brotherhood is their abhorrence of the arts. There are no decorations save the Brotherhoods holy symbol a hammer and spade crossed. Music and dance are particular distasteful to the Brotherhood.
Those found to be breaking any of the Brotherhoods myriad rules are subject to severe punishment. This can include, but is not limited to public flogging, stocks, gibbeting, and crucifixion. Those who repeat multiple times are often taken into Brotherhood military service and used on the front lines.
The Brotherhood is a literate group and education, including literacy is common throughout their conquered lands. First born children are exempt from military service, but all others must serve in the Brotherhoods armies for a period no less than two years. All those under the Brotherhood will be taught at least one craft skill of use to supporting the military.
Bards and Sorcerers: The ability to call forth magic without study or devotion to the Brotherhood is considered an abomination and the Brotherhood frowns on its use. Those of the Brotherhood caught practicing either are subject to severe punishments. Non-believers are given the chance to cast aside the practice and submit to the ways of the Brotherhood. Those who refuse are slain.
Clergy of the Brotherhood: Those of the Clergy wear deep black, setting them apart from the rest of the population, who wear gray. Clergy do not necessarily have to be clerics; they can be any class with the exception of Sorcerers and Bards. Clergy have the right to administer punishment as they see fit on Brotherhood land. It is not uncommon to find flagellants and other highly demonstrative types among the brotherhood.
The Brotherhood in War: The end justifies the means in all cases with the Brotherhood and they will use any and every means possible to defeat an enemy. This includes poison, assassination and all manner of foul play.
Peacebringers: The officer caste, are identified by their black robes and right hands, which are constantly wreathed in deep blue flames. Peacebringers are often cleric-warriors, but there are no real limitations.
Other races: While all are welcome in the Brotherhood (whether they want to be or not) the Brotherhood has had more than a few issues with elves (too artistic), Dwarves (too stubborn) and Orcs (too violent); often finding it necessary to destroy them. However, the Brotherhood has had great success with Gnolls and Hobgoblins.
Slavery: Slavery is unknown on Brotherhood lands. Savor the irony.
Trade: Very little trade exists with the Brotherhood, who do not produce or export any luxuries. When they do trade, it is often for raw materials steel ingots, cordage, fuel, food staples, and timber.

The Dwarves of the Drum Hills and Spine Mountains
The dwarves of the Drum Hills; under constant threat from the Orc Holds and Cavern Lands are a fierce, proud and decidedly angry people. They were once allies of the Minosorians, but have lost all respect for the kingdom.
Dwarven enclaves are known as Holds.
Trade: The Dwarves of the Drum hills export ingots of various ores as well as weapons. There is also a unique green brandy that is highly thought of. Masterwork weapons are common dwarven exports. There is some trade in gems as well, but the vast majority of those found and cut are kept. Imports include foodstuffs and cordage. There is also a demand for high quality grain, rye and barley for beer.
Religion:
Gem stones are highly thought of in the Dwarven religion and most are used in the construction and maintenance of religious icons. Gems are seen as parts of immortal flesh, cast aside by the gods. Exceptions to this are black onyx, obsidian and pearls. Gem cutting is a very prevalent skill among the clergy. To the dwarves the earth itself represents the body of the gods and they take their oaths to things such as "The Bones of the Earth", "The Heart of the Forge" or "The Steel Sinew"
Social Structure: Each hold is governed by a Stonebreaker. They are absolute rulers of their domain. The Stonebreakers are known to each other and communicate regularly. It is very rare for a Stonebreaker to turn down a request for aid from another.
Literacy: While there is literacy in the Dwarven hold, most knowledge is passed by oral tradition. This is particularly found in the weapon forges.

Durag
A series of tribal holdings, comprised of Orcs, Kobolds, Goblins, Ogres and as is sometimes rumored, trolls and giants. While there numbers are legion, they spend most of their energy fighting among themselves, with much of the remainder crashing against the Dwarves of the Drum hills

The Deep Chasms and winding caves are home to many horrible creatures. There are rumors of monster kingdoms within them.

Moderate Islands
The most common of the island tribes. The moderate people are not a unified nation, but rather a loose coalition that shares a common group of traditions. The moderate people try and stay away from the grander aspects of the world, and preserve a way of life that does not differ day to day. They exist through a combination of activities including fishing, farming, limited livestock raising (pigs and goats) and controlled foraging. Due to the richness of the sea, they manage (and contrive) to do as little 'work' as possible. This extra time is used for artistic and social endeavors.
It is no wonder that most of the great performers and artisans spring from the moderate people. Bard and Sorcerer are common classes within these tribes.
Law: Law is based entirely around the good of the community, with those persisting in acting to the detriment of the community being banished.
ReligionFood: A pantheon of island gods - one of the favorites of the Moderate people is Capacin - the god of Island fire . All food of the Moderate people is prepared with heavy use of hot peppers and even the mildest is enough to scorch the palate of the unwary.
In keeping with their celebratory lifestyle, the religions of the Moderate people is rife with festivals for various reasons - or no reason at all.

Duke August Hercule Manheim - Advisor to the Queen:

Quotes:
"We are unfortunate to live in these turbulent times. I would be far happier living in peace, plowing my fields and the plump peasant girls upon them."
"Who wants to be in charge of this mission? No. Anyone stupid enough to volunteer for that job is far too stupid to be able to do the job."
"All I ask is that you use your discretion. Should I find that your discretion will cause unwarranted embarrassment to the House of Erne, I shall of course disavow all knowledge of this mission and have you lot staked out for the crows."

Religions
Minosorian
Maea: The All Mother, The Great Mother
Alignment: Any Good
Spheres: Plant, Sun, Healing Good
Favored Weapon: Any farming implement
Vestments: Clerics and Abbesses of the Great Mother typically wear white robes or habits.
Saint Camille the Chaste: St. Camille, taken into an arrangement not to her liking, swore a vow of eternal chastity and devotion. In fending off her unwanted husband, she was seen to grow a beard, which replenished itself whenever it was cut. This led to her martyrdom shortly thereafter.
Alignment: Any Good or Lawful
Spheres: Law, Protection, Good, Trickery Favored Weapon: None.
Saint Hasteus the Valiant: St. Hasteus, a small, peasant boy took up his fallen abbot's weapon and rallied his village against an invasion of orcs. Those who fought with him saw the boy wrapped in golden light, delivering blows far more powerful than even the strongest warrior.
Spheres: Strength, Destruction, Sun, War Favored Weapon: Longsword
Vestments: Followers of St. Hasteus wear armour in lieu of robes. They can be identified by their tabards, which bear the sword and shield of Hasteus.
Saint Lucia the Solitary: St. Lucia is known for leaving the world of men and women behind and living among the animals in the forest, only emerging to bring healing draughts and food in time of need.
Alignment: Any Good or Neutral
Spheres: Plant, Animal, Travel
Favored Weapon: Staff
Saint Cantrain the Merciful: A warrior for many years, St. Cantrain threw away his sword and axe and devoted his remaining years to healing wounds and curing disease. Although smitten with leprosy, he carried on.
Spheres: Good, Healing, Travel
Favored Weapon: Staff
Amant: The Demon King: The king of the under realms, Amant is the repository of all knowledge that is forbidden. Priests and Priestesses of Amant often pledge portions of their soul for increased power.
Alignment: Any Evil or Lawful
Spheres: Knowledge, Magic, Evil, Law, Trickery Favored Weapon: Dagger Special Abilities: Priests of Amant may choose a mage spell of equivalent level as their Domain spell, but must pledge a portion of their soul (10% per level + 1d10% per level) This number is kept by the gamemaster. Once the soul is taken completely, Amant can command the cleric to do his bidding at any time.
Brotherhood of Equals: Ancestor Worshippers. See Kethis profile for full details.
Alignment: Any Lawful, Any Neutral
Spheres: Law, War, Strength, Destruction Special Abilities: Priests of the Brotherhood of Equals have +1 to morale for every member of their sect within 20 yards. They get a +1 will save for every 5 members within 20 yards.
Preferred Weapon: Hammer
The Kodama: Forest Spirits
Alignment: Any Neutral or Chaotic
Spheres: Air, Animal, Earth, Fire, Luck, Plant, Strength, Sun, Travel, Trickery, Chaos and Water. Examples would include Fox (Luck, Travel, Fire) or Bear (Earth, Strength, Animal) All Kodama have one elemental sphere.
Dwarven Gods of the Earth
Alignment: Any Lawful or Good
Spheres: Earth (All), Strength, Destruction, Law, Good, Protection and War Special Abilities: All Dwarven clerics can turn/command earth creatures as per the Air domain special ability.
Preferred Weapon: Any pick, axe or hammer
The Twelve Gods of Brakall
Dog: Lawful or Good: Healing, Good, Protection
Rat: Neutral: Trickery, Earth, Destruction
Rooster: Lawful or Neutral: Law, Sun,
Monkey: Chaotic or Neutral: Trickery, Luck, Chaos
Dragon: Lawful or Evil: Magic, Strength, Law
Horse: Chaotic or Good: Travel, Protection, Air
Ram: Evil or Neutral, Strength, Healing,
Ox: Neutral: Strength, Earth, Strength, Protection
Serpent: Evil or Neutral: Knowledge, Magic, Evil
Boar: Chaotic or Evil: Strength, Death, War
Tiger: Lawful or Good: War, Destruction, Law
Rabbit: Chaotic or Neutral: Travel, Luck, Fire
Preferred Weapon: Unarmed
Brakall Ancestor Worship
Alignment: Any
Spheres: Any except elementals, travel and luck Preferred Weapon: None
Path of Enlightenment:
Alignment: Lawful or Good
Spheres: Protection, Law, Good, War
Preferred Weapon: Staff
Capacin: Island Fire God
Spheres: Strength, Fire, Travel
Preferred Weapon: Spear or Scimitar
Papa Legba - Island Voodoo God
Spheres: Death, Protection, Good
Preferred Weapon: Club
Baron Samedi - Island Voodoo God
Alignment: Any Evil
Spheres: Death, Destruction, Evil
Preferred Weapon: Dagger
The One True God of Sharamuna
Alignment: Any Lawful
Spheres: Law, Magic, Air
Preferred Weapon: Scimitar
Now that I've pointed to a website I'll give you some of the advice I have taken from rpg.net and my own experience:
1: Say Yes Or Roll the Dice
Whenever a player asks if they can do something you have two possible responses: "Yes." or "Roll." Now, there is nothing forcing you to make the roll easy or even possible. The point is to empower your players. By either permitting the course of action or giving them a target number (or difficulty, or whatever the system uses) you give the players a sense of active participation. Most importantly, you can point out how they can do things they might not be able to now.
For example: "Ah, you want to convince the Death God not to eat your souls? What's your diplomacy rank again? I hope you can hit a target number of 30..." or "You're going to cold start the spaceship to escapethe exploding space station? Did you put ranks in Pilot? Well, its difficulty 4 then..."
Other acceptable answers to the question of "Can I...?" are: "Yes, but..." and "Yes, if..." The only unacceptable answer is "No."
2: The Game Is About The PCs
Each PC should select a Motivation. This is a primary plot point they want to accomplish during the game. For example a Motivation can be "Find the six-fingered man who killed my father and have my revenge." or "Discover the secrets of Atlantis" or "Get laid." Whatever.
The key here is that these are things that both the player and the character are interested in. Once you have all these (which should be the FIRST thing you do) you cna build your campaign or adventure around those Motivations. Make certain that they are not contradictory. For example "I want to reform the local legal system to be more fair" and "I want to explore ancient ruins full of evil monsters" would be hard to place in the same campaign. AS GM, feel free to veto ideas you feel would be bad for the group.
3: Don't Roll The Dice Unless You Accept the Consequences
If the result of a failed roll would spoil the fun of the game don't roll. Just declare whatever outcome would be the most fun (see Rule 1, however) and go with that. Honestly speaking, the only time you should be rolling the dice is when both outcomes of the roll would make an interesting story.
Example: The PCs are breaking into a mansion to steal incriminating evidence. Only have them roll to sneak if the results of failure would be interesting (getting caught is usually interesting) and onyl have them roll to investigate if the results of failure would be interesting (failure to find the evidence means the bad guy gets to continue hassling the PCs). If locating the evidence is crucial to continuining ythe adventure, then just have them find it and go from there.
4: Too Much Preperation Leads to Heartache
Your adventures are not novels, or movie scripts or even video game levels. You can not expect the PCs to follow your ideas.
Ideally your planning should involve the names of major NPCs and their motivations, an idea of the primary locations and other stuff. All of it should be background information. You should know the PAST of the setting, but not the FUTURE of it. The PCs are going to decide the future, not you.
For example, instead of having a plan for how the major villian should be defeated, you should have a plan for how he intends to succeed. Then the PCs show up. If they disrupt his plans, great! He'll either be defeated or (more likely) will come up with a new plan. If they fail to intervene... also great! Now the badguy has succeeded, and its up to the PCs to deal with the consequences of this.
Edit: 6: The Best Solution To Every Problem Is the PCs
No matter the campaign goal, the best way to accomplish it just happens to be whatever skills the PCs are best at, imagine that! To put it more bluntly, design your campaogn so that the PCs have an excellent chance of triumphing with whatever skills they focused on. One of the PCs focused on Pilot skill? Funny how there is always a need to chase down villians in planes! One of the PCs maxed out his Carpentry skill? Good thing that the only way to save those freezing children is to build them a new house! One of the PCs took telepathy? The fiendish Dr. Distaster's only weakness is his inability to sense telepathic intrusion!
Now, this doens't mean you can't throw curves at the players, but generally only at their choice. If the PCs choose to take up a challenge that their skill set doens't handle, let them fumbel around and fail. But every challenge YOU create should be custom built for the PCs to overcome, and for them to look cool doing it.
I have some more, but its very specific to certain game systems and genres.
---------------------
Epsilon
Thanks, all. I've purchased and pulled back a copy of Robin's Laws, and will save this thread (plus any later updates) for reference. In my "copious free time", I'll try to squeeze in a visit to rpg.net...

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012